1. m0rgan_t

m0rgan_t New Member

good idea, but i can't figure out how to start

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by m0rgan_t, Jan 22, 2008.

I have an idea where the human race is enslaved and deceived into fighting wars for the enjoyment of aliens. I have no idea how to start this.

2. Cessan

Cessan New Member

This kind of reminds me of the episode where southpark was canceled. As for starting it I would think it depends on what type of view you would be writing it in.
    Example
    First Person: Perhaps begin with someone writing in a diary

I hope this helps.

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I agree with Cessan about POV.

Think of it like this. If your story was a movie, where would you start it to get people going? This is how I do it and I think it works generally well.

If I were making a movie about wras fought for the enjoyment of aliens? I would personally start in the middle of a war with your primary character. What is he doing, why is he doing it, what doe she think of it, does he know what is really going on?

This concpet has some interesting oportunites for imagery. Are the aliens watching these wars unfold from some hugh galactic gladiator stadium, or are they watching and instigating with no one noticing.

Depending on what path you choose to take. you will follow a different stroy line. I find its always best to make point/goal/dream/event A, then point/goal/dream/event B. Once you've done that its all just a matter of getting there. If you ahve your beginnign and end its easy to make a story.

How you organize it will also effect the length of the story. Will it be a short or a full novel?

You need a chracter, a goal or end in mind, and maybe some cool actions or events that you would love to work into the story. A story is like a jig saw puzzel, but you get to make the pieces that become the final image...

dude I gotta write that one down...

*writes down jig saw comment*

4. Lengo

Lengo New Member

Sleep on it. Give it time. When the pieces fall in place in your head, you'll begin without hesitation. If you're having doubts, you're not ready to begin. Just jot down notes.

5. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I think your best bet is to write out any parts that you have already done in your mind. From there, it should give you the understanding of where you want this to go that you will need to start this.

6. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

I agree with Connolly - write out or plot out in your head as much as you can. If you have a firm grasp of the entire situation, you will have a much easier time writing things out.

Here's a quick list of things to consider:
    1: How were humans deceived / enslaved? Was it as simple as telling some petty dictator that if he started a war, they would give him immortality? Did the aliens come bearing humongous diamonds and offering one to each human who survived more than six battles in a war?

2: How are wars fought? Are humans grouped into armies and pitted against each other for no good reason (or no reason that the soldiers themselves can see)? Or is it more of a gladatorial-style combat, like dogfighting or cockfighting but with people? Or is it Country vs. Country?

3: How are people who aren't enslaved affected? If dinosaurs in spaceships came to the Middle East and started scooping up all the men between ages twelve and thirty, there'd be mass hysteria. Economic depression would soon follow. Or ... perhaps young women are captured, as breeding stock or as prizes for the winning side. What do you do when you have a country full of men who aren't likely to have any chance to marry or have sex?

4: How are the slaves treated? Are they fed well? Can they communicate with one another? What are the "rules" and "punishments" they have to deal with? Do the aliens teach them how to fight better in order to put on a better show? Can aliens communicate with humans at all? Is there something else about aliens that makes them impossible to injure - such as truly amazing reflexes, personal shielding technology, mild telepathy or precognition?

5: Having said all that, who is fighting the aliens? Even if they are militarily superior, there can be minor resistance. Enslaved people might feign injury, pretend to be stupid or unable to understand, work slowly, stab their alien masters in the back, feed aliens misinformation ... do they say that Star Trek actually happened, and one day soon the Federation is going to come back and Commander Data is going to waltz in and smash the aliens to bits?

I hope my questions help, or at least provoke some more ideas on the matter. Good luck.

7. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

If I were aliens I'd enslave the human race and turn the entire planet into a gigantic power plant where all the humans are forced to work. The power plant's sole purpose would be to turn a gear the size of Brazil that's not attached to anything.