Good Movies With Endings That Sucked

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ValianceInEnd, May 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. TenderHeart

TenderHeart New Member

The book "I am Legend" was great and I loved the ending. The movie would have really been bad had Will Smith not put in a great performance. His performance in some ways made up for the weak plot after you take all the creepiness out of the monsters.

He could not salvage that ending though. The book raised profound questions like what makes a society, the movie raised questions on what the heck just happened here.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

They ~ 2002 ~ Horror

My friends and I retitled it, They-forgot to write an ending and went ahead with the filming anyway.

It ends in the middle of the story. No resolution, good or bad.

3. Steve Benson

Steve Benson New Member

The book I Am Legend is definitely one of my favorites, but the movie mainstreamed it beyond anything I've ever seen. The vampires(random screaming things in the movie) were completely wrong and the ending was all happy and crap. The end of the book is sweet, but the movie threw it out and implanted crap.

Anyways, for other movies with sucktacular endings: Jurassic Park III(the whole army copout ending), 28 Days Later(from about 3/4 the way through to 5 minutes before the end), The Village, The Hulk, Matrix Revolutions(one was totally based on Berkeley's philosophical theories-not the jesus story), The new Star Wars movies, etc...

4. Dyell

Dyell New Member

They. That entire movie was a waist of money. Disappointing from beginning to end...no even remotely scary.

5. fatbird33

fatbird33 New Member

i just saw Prince Caspain which was a decent movie, but then the ending was just random. it didn't make sense really. I'm not going to go all into it just in case someone hasn't seen it and goes all pshyco on me accusing me of ruining the ending, although there wasn't much of an ending to spoil

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Monty python and the Holy Grail had a very lame ending.

I agree about Prince Caspian as well, but will also not spoil it for anyone who hasn't read the books or seen the movies.

Gladiator had an excellent ending. That was how to end a movie!

7. Modest Me

Modest Me New Member

I haven't read through the thread, but has someone mentioned The Mist yet?
    Good movie, suck ending.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Oh, what about Cloverfield!

9. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

Totally agree with Cloverfield, think I said it on page 2 actually, was just the worst ending. The whole movie was actually very good, not what I had been expecting, and then they just left you feeling so disappointed. Still, much, MUCH better than the Blair Witch Project which is what some people were comparing it to.

10. Nikki

Nikki New Member

Dreamcatcher. I love the book but the movie totally ruins the ending.

11. Pentip

Pentip New Member

Where does one begin with bad endings and great movies?
    In my own humble opinion, I think all great movies have terrible endings. Meaning, they end a great thing!
    However.. I think all of the Harry Potter movies (excepting the first and second) completely botched the endings, but that was all due to timing, I think. Any HP movie should end with them going home on the train. No exceptions.
    Most of the movies already mention on this thread I haven't seen, and now I will mention a movie that probably none of you have seen: The Mark of Zorro. ARG!! It ended too soon! They should have included some sort of seen with Diego and his father and mother, of him explaining the whole thing.
    (I haven't been around in a while, so I'm typing a long reply to make up for it)

12. fatbird33

fatbird33 New Member

i agreee with everything that you have spoken.

13. Al B

Al B New Member

This is easy, the worst ending for me is the 1995 movie, Crimson Tide. And to be honest, the start and the middle aren't that great either, although I'll admit it has quite a nice soundtrack. It has a lot of inaccuracies, plus two pages of dialogue from Quentin Tarantino slapped in the middle which stick out like a sore thumb, but I suppose the average viewer might not spot the mistakes if unfamiliar with the workings of a submarine (which comes across as an unintentionally hilarious homage to Throw Momma from the Train), and they might even miss the wrenching dialogue style switch that shows up for a minute or so, which means up to the closing moments it might even be enjoyed. But....

It breaks the golden rule of building dramatic tension in such spectacularly inept fashion with its 'climax', that I think you'd have to be clinically dead not to spot how clumsy it is: Oh no, we're seconds away from nuclear war, what're we gonna do?!! Oops, my mistake, no we're not. The End.

Al

14. companionableills

companionableills New Member

I didn't like the ending of "21", because it tried to seem like it had a moral when really it made the protags just as bad as the "bad guys". I'm all for exploring the darkness of humanity (heck, Heart of Darkness is one of my favorite books), but don't wrap up a "jerks finish first" lesson in "nice guys finish first" paper to fool mainstream media.
    I Am Legend and its ending had tons upon tons of symbolism, which was awesome, but plot-wise the ending was weak.