1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The Fugitive - A Different Finale Aired?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Cogito, Dec 16, 2013.

I recently watched the finale of The Fugitive (1963-1967) on TV, and something which has bothered me since the first syndication run of the series again started chewing on my brain.

I vividly remember a different, and more satisfying, three-part finale than the two-parter always aired in syndication. I was in upstate New York at the time, if that matters. I also recall hearing that there was a two -part finale filmed, but the alternate version was assembled at the last minute and aired instead. In this version, Kimball did catch up with Fred Johnson (the one-armed man) at the amusement park tower, but learned from Johnson, before Johnson was killed, that he was not the murderer after all. He was a witness, and it was actually Lloyd Chandler (J.D.Cannon) a family friend and local politician) who was having an affair with Kimble’s wife Helen. Johnson broke into the house to rob it and found Chandler over Helen Kimball’s body. With Johnson dead, though, Kimball had to convince a reluctant Gerard to give him a little more time to find the proof to back up Johnson’s story.

It was a long time ago, but that beautiful twist stuck with me. The reason for Chandler's silence in the syndication version (he was a witness, but ashamed of his cowardice in not trying to stop the murder) always seemed weak compared to the version I remember. Surely someone else must have seen this expanded version and will remember it too!

Anyone?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

False memories maybe?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056757/episodes?season=4&ref_=tt_eps_sn_4

I can't find any alternate ending except the movie differed but doesn't fit your description either.