1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Good opening - bad ending.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lemex, Apr 18, 2009.

I keep having problems with endings to stories.
    I always start off and I'm pretty happy with a tale untill I reach the ending and then it seems to slump off.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    Anyway I can improve this?

2. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

Yup, although I've sometimes found that the ending just doesn't want to happen.

My only suggestion would be to try and listen to the story you're writing. If everything is going well and suddenly something isn't quite right, it may be that the story doesn't like where you're trying to take it.

Trying rereading your story. Try rewriting various pieces. Try writing the ending before you get to it.

Good luck.

3. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

My endings tend to be my strongest point...it's beginnings that get me. I like using cliffhanger endings because I'm a big fan of suspense and leaving some of the knots untied.

~Lynn

4. architectus

architectus Banned

Try giving this a read. It changed how I write stories.

5. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless New Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    But isn't a cliffhanger ending just a lazy way of stopping writing without actually writing an ending? :p

Anyway, the ending to a story is usually one of the first things I decide on, so I never have any problems writing it ... especially given how long I've been thinking about it while writing the rest of the story. When I'm writing a longer piece, I often find myself looking forward to writing the ending because it's the most dramatic or emotional part of the story. If you're having trouble with endings, you might want to try planning the story and conclusion out more before you start writing.