Tags:
  1. zilly

zilly Senior Member

Good or Bad Themes?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by zilly, Jan 17, 2010.

I posted a while ago about a story that I am writing that I obviously hope will get published. I'm really skeptical because I've never seen or heard of anything that even remotely resembles the style of writing that I'm using. Additionally, the demographic the book would appeal to would be YA, I'm assuming. So, needless to say, I don't think my odds are very good.

The themes of the book are kind of bland, I guess. Ironically, the story is about the unimportance of material success. It's kind of a live-your-life-to-the-fullest deal.

Finally, I've written 20,000 words already. There are a couple episodes that I could add to the story to make it longer, but, as it currently stands, the story is only going to be 60-65k words. That seems like a good length for the audience I'm targeting, but I know that publishers don't like short lengths from an unknown author.

What do you think? Am I just setting up a horrible combination? I'm enjoying writing it. That's all I really care about, but I feel that I could easily enjoy writing the same story while making it a little more marketable.

2. DragonGrim

DragonGrim Contributing Member

In my opinion, the only thing you should be concerned with is this: What do I want to write about. If you know, you should never call it boring.

Word length, sixty-some thousand words should be fine for YA

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i agree...

4. Sillraaia

Sillraaia Senior Member

You can't guess accurately how long the book will be until you are finished with it. Who knows what else you might think up along the way, or want to expand on. IMO, don't be concerned about what the publisher wants just yet, make it interesting for yourself. Enjoy writing it, and it will show in the work you do.
    You can always edit later.

5. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

Are you writing because you like to write, or because someone made you? If you are writing for yourself, then you should not worry about any of that other detail.

6. zilly

zilly Senior Member

I'm really enjoying writing the story. I'm writing it with a friend and it's been a lot of fun. However, we both really like to write, and I don't think either of us would mind changing what we have planned a little to make it a little more marketable. We both really would like to have a book published. Who wouldn't?

I understand. I was making an estimate based on the current plot we have and what we have finished writing.

7. Ecksvie

Ecksvie Member

If you're enjoying writing, then that's the most important thing. If you're writing to get published, chances are then it'll just come out bland and boring.

If you can make it come across in your writing that you really enjoy writing, the reader will really enjoy reading it and you'll get noticed when you send it to publishers/agents.

8. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

Mmhm. Then you should keep that in mind. It's fine to make a few changes to make it marketable, but you should be trying to publish a story that you wanted to publish, not a story publishers want to publish.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you're writing with a friend and have any intention of getting it published, you need to have a collaboration contract in place NOW!... to both protect your investment in the work, and your friendship...

go to www.wga.org and under 'writers' menu you'll find a 'contracts' section where you can download the standard collaboration contract... with just a few words changed, it works as well for books as it does for scripts...

10. Cosmos

Cosmos Contributing Member

I tell this to every writing friend I've ever had:

"Nobody ever writes for the money. At least not people who like their craft."

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't earn money for your efforts. But to me that should never be the primary reason for writing, at least not creatively. You need to enjoy what you write, because if you don't, others probably won't either.

So write what interests you and if others like it so much to buy it, that's icing. Awesome, profitable icing, but icing nonetheless.

11. Rei

Rei Contributing Member Contributor

Depending on the publisher, that is perfect, or may even be a bit long. I've seen some submission guidelines that say their ideal length for YA is 40-60K