1. writerdude11

writerdude11 New Member

Good spacing between paragraphs and dialogue?

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by writerdude11, Apr 26, 2013.

Hey guys, I was wondering what is good spacing between paragraphs and dialoge. I write in the MLA style so I was wondering if double spacing between paragraphs and dialogue is acceptable. If anyone could reply to this id greatly appreciate it.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

MLA is used for academic papers. You mention dialogue, so I'm assuming you're writing fiction, in which case the MLA guidelines don't apply. I'm also assuming that when you say "between paragraphs and dialogue," you mean between a paragraph and another paragraph that begins with dialogue. All I can say is when it comes to spacing, be consistent throughout the manuscript.

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

If you are talking about format for submitting manuscript for creative writing, there is no space between paragraphs, and the writing is double spaced throughout. The same has been true when I've used MLA style to submit academic articles, reports and theses. There are never extra spaces between paragraphs.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

well, 'never' for prose mss submitted to print venues, anyway, where all paragraphs must be indented .5" and no extra space allowed between them, unless a line break is called for, in which case, a single # should be placed in the center of the line, so there won't be any blank lines other than between chapters...

however, if submitting for online publication, the standard format is no indents and mandatory double spacing between paragraphs...

5. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

^^ I mean for MLA style--there is no need for line breaks as in a novel. The article may occasionally have headings, sub-headings, lists etc with a space, but not breaks between paragraphs within the text.