1. days_crazed

days_crazed New Member

Good title for a company magazine?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by days_crazed, Feb 18, 2009.

All ideas are helpful and appreciated! I thought some creative people like yourselves may be able to provide me some help and spark something creative in me....or just flat out give me a title...LOL! :p

So I just found out today that the company I work for is running a contest for an upcoming magazine they will be publishing a few times per year.

This magazine will feature a wide range of articles covering our global activities around the entire Group (lots of sister companies/partners), and will be aimed at providing up to date information on our activities both internally to our employees and externally to our clients, partners and suppliers. The title should be short, distinctive, unique, and reflect the spirit of our products and services.

My company is SBM (Single Buoy Mooring) Offshore (http://www.sbmoffshore.com), and we are in the offshore oil and gas industry. Worldwide, we have over 5,000 employees representing 47 nationalities, and are present in 15 countries. Our activities include the engineering, supply, and offshore installation of most types of offshore terminals or related equipment. In addition, SBM Offshore owns and operates its own fleet of Floating (Production) Storage and Offloading units. SBM Offshore has a track record of developing innovative, cost-effective solutions for the ever-changing needs of its Clients. Each company of the group contributes its technical expertise, making SBM Offshore a market leader.

(YES, THAT WAS TAKEN FROM THE COMPANY WEBSITE) :p

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

There is no way this would be allowed by your company, but I thought about a few titles:

Oily Reader or Oily Pipes

Gasy Reader

And yeah that is all I came up with.

Sorry I'm no help.

3. days_crazed

days_crazed New Member

LMAO @ Gasy Reader!!!
    :p

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I know right.
    It would be the most awesome title on the planet.

5. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I'd plump for something neutral like 'platform'. This term can incorporate your work with FPSOs and offshore production, as well as relating to the idea of the magazine being a forum for discussion and presentation.

6. days_crazed

days_crazed New Member

Gannon....I like that idea. : )

7. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I like 'Platform' too. If the magazine is going to be read by non-natives, even if their English is fluent, ironic wordplay is usually wasted. And the title has to be something that is easy to pronounce and remember, and shouldn't have an embarrassing/offensive double-entendre in another language. Also, there shouldn't be a popular TV programme or newspaper/magazine around with the same name, obviously.

8. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I'd make a simple reference to the ultimate activity of the company or one of the offshore drilling activities...something like:

"The Mud Logger"

All oil, gas and geothermal drilling requires a mud logger and most anyone associated with the drilling industry knows what mud loggers do. For those of you who are not in the drilling industry, mud logging is the oil drilling industry's term for geologists inspection of core samples at various depths of drilling. The composition of the core sample gives valuable indications of the presence...or lack thereof...of the drilling objective (oil, gas or hydrothermal seams). For example, certain rock composition contains the best oil deposits. If mud loggers fails to detect the right geological composition at the target drilling depths, then the well may be abandoned or additional money spent to drill deeper.

9. days_crazed

days_crazed New Member

I am really enjoying all the input. Thanks!!

NaCl, I am diggin' Mud Logger! : )

10. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

'Pumped Up' was all I could think of

11. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

How about 'The Oily Rag'?

You deal with oil and, of course, a rag is another name for a newspaper although perhaps not a reputable one. And, if you want to go further, it would run on the smell of an oily rag!