1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

This mermaid show, have you ever seen anything so fake pretending to be real?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by GingerCoffee, May 28, 2013.

How gullible do they think people are? It's unbelievable.

They have multiple fake videos, and a couple guys they call "doctors" who I sincerely doubt are actually PhD level scientists but if they are, shame on the school that granted them degrees.

Then there's the nonsense that someone in the government owns some information and has hidden it away from the public. Seriously? Why? There's absolutely no logical sense in that claim whatsoever.

So, make an outrageous claim, produce some evidence that's on the level of a late night infomercial, and make money. I don't get it how the human species has enough individuals that are dumb enough to believe that BS, or I don't get how the TV producers thought that they could pull this off without being laughed out of the business.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Uh, what exactly is it that you're talking about?

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

What you're describing sounds like those Bigfoot shows I keep hearing about.

4. GingerCoffee

5. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

After a bit of youtubing and googling, I found out that the documentary Mermaids: The Body Found and the sequel to it, The New Evidence, is meant to be fake. Many people across the web think so, and it's possibly to advertise their channel, but also to be a bit of a joke pretending to be real (a la The Office). Perhaps it is also because fantastical things excite the general public, so doing a 'documentary' on mermaids may have seemed like a good idea.

And let's face it, everybody loves a good mystery or conspiracy theory. ;)

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The edutainment channels have been doing similar shows for a while now. They did one bassed on the idea of alien invasion, one about what if dragons were real narrated by Patrick Stuart, and then these Mermaid shows. It seems each time they come up with a new one, they produce the show more and more as though it were an actual documentary, but that's just for the sake of drama.

7. GingerCoffee

Not sure, hard to put my finger on why, but it's a good question.

"The Lost Tapes", those shows don't seem to being trying to be anything except fiction. UFO, Bigfoot and Ghost Hunters shows, they're just individual groups of idiots, the world is full of believers of these evidence-lacking fictions. (My apologies to any thread readers who might be among them.) There wasn't a heartbeat of concern when The Ghost Hunters were caught faking evidence.

The scientific quality of shows on the History Channel, The Discovery Channel, and The Learning Channel couldn't get much lower. I don't always think of The Animal Channel as trying to be scientifically educational in the first place.

I'll have to ponder some more why this one bothered me more than usual. Perhaps because this was another step lower when I thought there couldn't possibly be any lower rungs on the ladder.

8. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Edutainment.. I like that term. :)

And who wouldn't watch a documentary if Patrick Stuart narrated it? :p

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You'll get no argument from me. ;) I have it saved on my external drive. :D

10. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Hahahaha I really could listen to him talk all day!

11. Dorotha

Dorotha New Member

Patrick Stuart, standing in a chicken suit, reading last years want ads is a keeper

12. Michael O

Michael O Member

Well...Yes I have.:)

Some redneck was given hours on a radio program, 8-10PM. It was how he filled one gasoline powered generator, wired it to the another one without gas and then ran appliances without ever having to add more gasoline. The two powered each other and a half-dozen appliances The calls were ~ 20 to 1. 20 wanting to know how it worked and awed by his simple genius. The other would have had better luck trying to explain how stupid this was to a dead goat.

I don't want to watch professional wrestling, put another dozen cameras on the frigging crowd. By God! If I have to live on planet of the retards, can there be some form of entertainment for the rest of us?!

Oh shit! Gotta run! Only 2 minutes left on the discounted price for the car headlight wipe-new bright kit!