1. Flubagalub

Flubagalub New Member

Good Vampire Books?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Flubagalub, Jun 21, 2008.

I just finished reading The Vampire Lestat, and it's got me in the mood for more vampire stories. I have the next 2 books in the series (Queen of the Damned and The Tale of the Body Thief), but I also want to know some other good vampire books. I have already read I Am Legend, and Salem's Lot.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

You can not go wrong with 'Dracula' by Bram Stoker.

3. Marloy

Marloy New Member

Well, of course Twilight, and Interview With A Vampire is good.

4. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

30 Days of Night I found to be an interesting and awesome read.

5. Marloy

Marloy New Member

Right! I read the comic book, much better than the movie. :D

6. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

Completely agreed! I hate how film directors trash a good book :mad:

Only Lord of the Rings came out well XD Hopefully they won't mess up Twilight because that book rules :cool:

7. Marloy

Marloy New Member

Gosh, saw the poster at the theater, not out until Dec. 12. I will kill if it sucks, that'd be totally selling out.

Well, I hope not. :redface: :p

8. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

lol or they don't send over the Inquisition like they did for The Golden Compass. Just a movie!! XD

9. Marloy

Marloy New Member

Yeah, but I think they were bashing the Catholic church (with what, I don't know). Twilight wouldn't do that anyway (at least if all's well).

Oh that's dumb. Never mind! :D

10. Amor

Amor New Member

Like Marloy and Aurora_Black said, "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. There are currently 3 books in the series and the 4th is coming out on August 2nd. I really like the series, but a lot of people don't like it. It depends on whether or not you like teenage romance novels with a vampire-werewolf twist =P

11. Iris Reola

Iris Reola New Member

Oh God, Dracula is brilliant. I am reading it as a "free" read for school and it's fantastic. If you want vampires that strike fear into mortal hearts, Dracula is the way to go... well, it's also a good choice if you like classics, too.

12. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

I heartily recommend Those Who Hunt the Night by Barbara Hambly. It has some of the best handled vampires I've yet read, and it's excellently-written and well-researched, to boot. Don Simon Ysidro is one of my favorite literary characters, and a fine example of how to write an "inhuman" character who is still empathetic.

A very good light novel is Bloodsucking Fiends, by Christopher Moore. I laughed until I cried when I read it, and it still makes me smile. Its vampires are traditional, but it is the quality of the writing, the humor and the depth of character, which really distinguish the book.

(Both of these books have sequels, by the way, which are almost wholly forgettable. Hambly's - Traveling with the Dead - is still decently-written, but she elects to pursue a sub-plot which I find of dubious quality at best. It smacks of Mary-Sueism, which Ms. Hambly is sometimes regrettably guilty of.

You Suck is the sequel to Bloodsucking Fiends, and it's basically a rude gesture at the fanbrats who insisted Moore write it. He kills off a bunch of characters more or less for spite and not-so-subtly mocks the vampire fans who clamored for it.)

13. aphonos

aphonos New Member

Hambly also wrote Renfield, Slave of Dracula which may be easier to find than Those Who Hunt The Night.

I could also recommend other vampire (and vampire-related) novels, but it would help to know what it was you liked about Anne Rice's work.

14. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    How about The saga of Darren shan? (By Darren shan)
    I know it sounds like a kids book, but i only read his books about 2 years ago and they're very addictive and confronts alot of touching issues.
    Kinda like harry potter in that sense - but i dont like harry potter.
    If you wanted something light to read but a complex story, i'd reccomend it.
    I'm reading Bram stoker's "Dracula" right now, but that's an obvious choice.

15. Helmut_II

Helmut_II New Member

Just an interesting note, there's a course in Vampire Literature in the university near to where I live.

I generally don't like much of vampire-based media. 'Salem's Lot and the Darren Shan books I quite enjoy, though.

I mostly just read the old vampire books from the 1600s. Quite funny.

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Let me guess. The course catalog advertises thet "this course really sucks..." (or bites)

Fangs a lot - I needed a good chuckle. :)

17. Helmut_II

Helmut_II New Member

I have heard that is taught by a Russian lady, to boot.

18. ThadOcho

ThadOcho New Member

Salem's Lot is about a group of people devoted to eliminating vampires that are taking over a small town. Its great, you can't stop reading until its done.

19. righting

righting Banned

The Historian was great.