1. thalorin19

thalorin19 Member

Tattoo's and opinions.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thalorin19, Jan 9, 2012.

As of late I've been thinking about getting a tattoo;

The one that I've been thinking about the most would wrap around my wrist. It's influence by Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. I was thinking two wired roses, as roses are pretty prominent in the series, with my favorite quote, "Go, then. There are other worlds then these." I'm not a tattoo artist - if there is one on the board, please comment with advice - but I think that quote may be to long for a wrist thing, and I have small wrists as well. So I don't know.

Anyways, I just sort of wanted to see if other members on here have gotten tattoos, especially if they are related to a favorite novel or something. And just general opinion. I'm been toying around with the thought for a few weeks now.

2. naomisarah

naomisarah New Member

I am positively covered in tattoos.

The quote on your wrist might be a bit long, but in general it's not a good idea to get lettering on a part of the body that creases often or is prone to size changes (such as the stomach or bicep) because of the risk of scarring or stretching. The wrist isn't painful but detail on the creases might crack during the healing process, which causes ink loss and might require repeated touch-up. If you don't have any tattoos yet, I would consider the back of the shoulder or the back of the calf first: non-painful places that do not change size very dramatically (unless you're planning a major weight gain). Also, avoid red if you have any skin allergies. Tattoo allergies, unfortunately, can show up after a few years of having the tattoo. Red ink is a common culprit in that situation.

3. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I as well have many tattoos.

I am not completely covered. But I have my arms, neck and hands covered.

Asking me about the pain wont be helpful; I think it feels good to the point where its relaxing.

I agree with naomisarah that you should avoid getting any high detail work on high movement places.

The most important thing I can tell you is to shop around for a good artist. Don't just walk into any old random place and make an appointment. Ask to see their work first; if you like it, tell them what you want and discuss it.

4. Ayo

Ayo New Member

The only thing my tattoo really does is remind me not to ever get too serious about myself and also tempts me to get another to even out the suck. But hey do what you want.

5. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 New Member

I have friends and family who have tattoos, with one friend especially who has maybe taken them too far, but personally I have no interest in getting any done.

I've toyed with the idea several times, especially when I was younger and I'm very glad I never took the plunge back then because I know I would've regretted anything I might've put on my skin back in those days!

I'm also far too fussy to ever be able to decide on a design. I've designed my own ones a few times, but they never look quite right, and I can never put my finger on why, so they go into a pile in a corner and get forgotten about like so many other things!

I know some very good tattoo artists near where I live, mostly due to my friend who basically lives in a tattoo parlour, so I'd know who to go to if I did change my mind, but if I haven't got one by now I'd say its unlikely I'll ever get around to it! I hear they're addictive though.... very few people ever just get one.

6. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

The problem I've always had with most tattoos is their lack of consant relevance.

I think the ones I hate the most are when people get national symbols tattooed on themselves, it just seems really uninspired and lacking in concept.

But anyway as to your design I think it would look quite nice, just make sure that it holds significance and that you wont come to regret it later.

7. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 New Member

The amount of barbed wire armbands I see is just shocking. When I worked at a hardware store when I was 16 it seemed part of a builder's uniform was that they had to have "Love" "Hate" tattooed across their knuckles.

@thalorin - as someone has mentioned, that is potentially too long for a wrist tattoo. Look at your wrist and imagine how you'd want that text wrapped around it, and what size it'd need to be to still be legible. It's not impossible, I'm sure, if done creatively, you might need to put it over several lines etc, but normally people only have a name or few words in a place like the wrist.

8. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Perhaps you could have it across your bicep?

9. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

I had wanted a tatoo for years but never sure exactly what. When I turned 49 I decided to get one. I have a lower back tat with a large filligree butterfly in the middle and two smaller filligree butterflies on either side, connected together with vines and leaves that turn slightly up the sides of my back. The colors of the smaller butterflies are the birthstone colors of my two children and mine is my favorite colors blended together - blues and purples.

I absolutely love my tat because of its symbolization of my love for my children, who are now young adults. It hasn't faded as it's always covered and I'll be able to take it with me when I go. ;)

Choose carefully. Consider how you will feel about your choice in 20 years. Oh, they can be addicting! Once you get one, you'll want another and another ...

10. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

My son is covered and is having them all converted to Christian themes. I have one large one on my right arm, the name of my first novel. Do what you like, just heed the advice of those with experience about the placement.

11. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

My first tattoo was inspired by my favourite novel at the time. I have a white lilly which is from "The Three Musketeers" (I always felt that Lady Winter was unfairly treated, and that whole branding of the fleur de lys captured my imagination) . At the time, not knowing what "fleur de lys" was, I decided that it must be lilly of the valley (my favourite flower) :D And it was done after I passed my first exam, I was blind drunk and all I remember was trying to explain to the Hell's Angel's tattoo artist who Lady Winter :D I love that tattoo, it's on top of my right shoulder.
    I also have a snowflake on my lower arm (but above the wrist) and an Eye of Horus (original Egyptian design) on my shoulder.
    If you don't have a drawn design you are happy with, once you find a good tattoo artists, bring them various pictures and describe what you want, and they'll be able to come up with designs appropriate to the place you want it done on.

12. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't have a tattoo. I just don't think I'd suit one.

I have plenty of friends who do though, and some of theme are interesting. One has an Ankh-sword thing om his arm that is pretty cool.

13. LaGs

LaGs Banned

I like tattoos but that quote you've mentioned is awful to put on your body permanently

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I would never get a tattoo, and I feel bad for those who do. I think the human body is beautiful, and ANY tattoo ANYWHERE makes it uglier. Back in the 80s, I was a fan of bodybuilding, and I kept seeing bodybuilders having to have their tattoos removed so that they could compete. I talked to a tattoo artist in Canada once who told me that business was booming, but the tattoo-removal business was booming even more.

15. Jhunter

That is very true even today. For many reasons:

- People do not take the time to get something meaningful
    - It was an impulse tattoo while being inebriated
    - They are no longer with their significant other
    - They were too eager and went to a bad artist
    - They are starting over with different artwork

Etc, etc.

It took me years to figure out my first tattoo. I regret none of them.

16. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

Same as minstrel. Tattoos ruin your body, they make you much uglier.

17. Jhunter

Well I guess it is a good thing they are on my body and not yours. ;)

18. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Actually, I used to provide a laser tattoo removal and I can safely tell you that the clients were very few and far between. From the total number of people who get tattoos, such a tiny minority ever remove them. I don't know the exact statistics, but it is a really tiny percentage. And for them, a very good (albeit expensive) treatment option exists, so it is probably unnecessary for you to "feel bad" for everyone who gets a tattoo.
    People who tend to want them removed are the ones who got them under peer pressure, like letting a best friend's brother, who wants to be a tattoo artist, tattoo a pink unicorn on their back when they were 16, and now they are 28 and divorced with 2 kids - no longer into the unicorn that much. People who are too young to really know what they want and the ones who get them without really having a good reason, or when they were drunk etc. But even then, most people keep their tattoos especially the ones done by a professional. Most of the tattoos that get removed are amateur ones or prison ones.
    Since the stigma of having a tattoo eased off, a lot of people are getting them, and are happy not to hide them, and as long as that fear of being ostracised is gone, most people are quite happy with what they have.

The thing with tattoos is, it is a very personal thing and it is not for everyone. What some (especially the older generation) see as "bad" , "regrettable" etc others see as beautiful, meaningful, interesting.
    Obviously, perhaps not the best idea to put a tattoo on your bicep if you plan to compete in bodybuilding, but that's personal choices for you :D

1 person likes this.
  19. Question

Question Active Member

I'm not opposed to tattoos. But I would only get a tattoo if It was significant of something. I feel like If it's going to be on your body forever then It should at least mean something.

20. minstrel

Of course, I didn't mean to say that more people are having tattoos removed than are getting tattoos in the first place - that would be impossible. Tattoo removal businesses only have clients if there are people with tattoos out there; if there are no more people with tattoos, these business can't remove tattoos, can they? So what I was meaning to say is that, while the tattoo removal business is still much smaller than the tattoo business, it was growing faster.

21. minstrel

Sure, but people go through stages of life, and what may have been meaningful when you're twenty years old may have been completely replaced by something else when you're thirty-five or forty. That flaming skull you had tattooed on your chest at twenty, because it was "cool" then and the crowd you ran with admired your for getting it, may, now that you're being promoted to vice-president of overseas operations, be rather embarrassing.

22. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Of my tats only one was a (tequila induced) impulse and since that one is on my inner thigh only my husband and my gynecologist ever see it.

The others are symbolic of, I suppose, milestones is the best word. Perhaps tributes to somone I used to be would say it better. They mean something to me. They are visible reminders of what it took for me to get here.

23. Jhunter

While I would never get a flaming skull of any kind anywhere on my body (for obvious reasons, haha), I will never regret any of my tattoos.

Where some people scrapbook, take pictures, write in journal or whatever else to document important things and or events in their lives, I get tattoos instead.

24. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

I poured my heart and soul into my first novel "Vengeance is Mine" so I'll never regret my tattoo. I did however have to change the title as many books have that name but "Vengeance is Mine" looks a lot better than the other would on my arm.

25. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    When I was this little uber-goth teenager I got my eyebrow peirced. It fell out within a month and now I'm stuck with an ugly scar forever, just like thousands of other idiots like me.

If I'd followed my impulse to get tattoos at that very same age, I'd probably want to kill myself now - quite seriously. It would have been a huge mistake and ruined my life. My only advice to you is to look for every other option of expressing the same thing without perminantly damaging yourself. You'd be surprised how much more satisfying other avenues are - like owning artwork instead of the same theme instead of having something stamped on your body for life.

If after that you still think it's for you, then save up and go for the best you can get. At the end of the day, it's your body, and you have to live with it; give yourself time to make the right choice.

1 person likes this.