1. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 Contributing Member

Good Writing Podcasts

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Scarecrow28, Aug 19, 2008.

Any suggestions? I've listened to the one by Tom Occhipinti (?) from AmericanWriters.com, but haven't found too many other good ones. I'd prefer on that specifcally involves thriler writing, but any writing podcasts will do. Thanks!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Why podcasts? Why not books? It seems a strange direction to search, considering the topic.

Even most books about writing are garbage, so I would be even less inclined to trust a podcast for good advice in this area.

To me, the best idea is to find examples of good writing and learn from those.

3. Scarecrow28

The only reason I'm saying podcasts is that I have an hour or more busride to school every morning and was looking for something writing related (its pretty hard to read on a crowded bus with dozens of screaming highschoolers:rolleyes:).

4. mooncloud

mooncloud Member

I listen to Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips. They are each only a few minutes long, and often it's something I'm already familiar with, but I've learned enough from it to continue listening.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/

5. cieeciee

cieeciee Member

Podcast Recommendations

Hi Scarecrow28,

I am new to the forums, but wanted to reply when I saw your post. I have actually recently been listening to two very good podcasts. I actually find it quite inspiring to listen to veteran writers talk about their process. It is similar to watching "Inside the Actor's Studio", if you have ever seen that show. Some of the installments are better than others, but I would definitely recommend checking out these two. They can be found on iTunes or on the web at their respective sites:

"The Writing Show" with host Paula B. http://www.writingshow.com/index.html

"Writers on Writing" with host Barbara DeMarco-Barrett http://www.barbarademarcobarrett.com/writersonwriting/

I am in the middle of listening to a podcast now with Andre Dubus III who wrote "House of Sand and Fog" and has a new novel out. His descriptions of his own writing process I find to be very inspiring and he really seems to encourage freedom to writers to "follow your instinct" which I really appreciate.

Hope that helps for those long bus rides. I listen to mine while I am exercising and they make for a very good diversion!

cieeciee

6. mooncloud

mooncloud Member

7. Scarecrow28

I just checked this one out. I got several of the episodes were they were talking with some of my favorite authors. Little dissapointed that they didn't have James Rollins or Cussler anywhere on the list of episodes, but I can settle for Vince Flynn and Brad Thor. :)