1. TigerEyes

TigerEyes New Member

Celtix vs Final Draft

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by TigerEyes, Aug 29, 2006.

Well, i've used both. Usually when i'm writing something less formal, i'll use Celtix because more people that are less formal have it, i've used Final Draft a few times for scripts, but, so few people have it and it is so expensive for those that don't, i'm curious what people here use. Final Draft is usually reserved for those very serious/talented about writing while Celtix, the free rip-off version, seems more based for public use and for most of my purposes [writing scripts for machinima films] it accomplishes the goal.

Feedback?

2. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Hmm... what is Celtix? Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard of it. Is it a script/screenplay formatting program by any chance?

3. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

It's a very NICE AMAZING WONDER script writing program and it's 100% free. Go to Celtx.com

When you get there click on the red link that says "Download".

Then click on whatever language you usually speack. And it should download.

I love Celtx. I was searching for days and days for a nice script writing program and I finally found it.

And you write it so much faster than with Microsoft Word.

I've never used Final Draft, but I've heard that most script writing things insert all sorts of annoying things -- like it numbers yourscenes authomatically and does all sorts of things that sort of make you look like an idiot if you're submitting your first script.

4. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Just from the example video of that celtx link shows me that it's quality is infinitely inferior compared to the final draft version. I have Final Draft version 7 which I still think is the latest (forget the add ons, you won't need 'em).

It's expensive to buy (if you don't actally know how to download it ;) ;) ) but if you're serious about screenwriting as opposed to just dabbling in it for fun now and again then I recommend it.

The earlier versions of FD used to crash so there are so many critics of it but FD7 is the best. Celtx may be free but as I said, it looks terribly amateur.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

not when you know how to use it, lt... and fd is the one most seasoned and pro screenwriters, agents and prodcos use... it's also the best and easiest to use for beginners who want to make a career in film... a close second is moviemagic screenwriter...

fd is the only program i use [have done so since it was 'born' in the 80s] or recommend... that said, celtix or even ms word's script template are ok for beginners who can't afford the cost...

love and hugs, maia

6. trailer trash

trailer trash New Member

Screenwriting Software -- FREE!

If you are new to screenwriting or just looking for a writing tool to help the process along, then you may want to take a look at Celtx. Celtx is a FREE screenwriting word processor that is dedicated to screenwriting and nothing else. It has all the bells as whistles you’d expect to find in a premium package costing hundreds of dollars, but it’s FREE! So before you shell out a couple of hundred bucks for a new screenwriting program check it out. Let me know what you think.

“Celtx (current version 0.9.8) is the first comprehensive software package designed for people who work in the Pre-Production of Film, TV, Video, Theatre and Animation. Celtx helps Creators bring their story ideas to life – combining intelligent writing and media planning tools with Internet friendly technologies to create a new, open standards platform for the pre-production of Media. It provides all of the tools you need under one application. Celtx is international too, it's available in 20 languages.”

Here is the link: Celtx.com

PS: I am posting this a little late, as Laimtoe and others have already discovered Celtx. I would encourage anyone to check it out before spending the cash on Final Draft are any other screenwriting software. I have both. Celtx peforms pretty damn good IMO, and of course it's FREE! And if you are only testing the waters to your screenwriting ability it only makes sense to try this program -- unless you are rich.

7. Analog Worms

Analog Worms New Member

I use Sophocles

http://www.sophocles.net/

8. mammamaia

final draft is the best to use, if you're serious about a career in screenwriting... movie magic's 'screenwriter' is a close second best... till you can afford the best, you can get an ms word script template download or use any of the other freebies...

9. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

I would tend to agree with mammamaia, if you want to go pro with screen writing then FD is definintely the industry standard and it would be well worth your time and energy to learn it. HOWEVER, I am also a BIG believer in open source projects (recently leaving my Photoshop habit for The Gimp and Inkscape). If you have the technical know how and are willing to take the time to learn the work arounds you can put out some pretty amazing stuff with software that you don't have to drop a bundle on (or hax or torrent). But it will be inferior, harder to use, and less reputable than a program like FD. Programs like FD cost that much for a reason and it's the same reason everyone in hollywood is using it.

10. mammamaia

good analysis, zb!

11. Sylvester

Sylvester New Member

I was going to buy Final Draft. I went to their website and discovered on their FAQ page that it won't support 64-bit (like mine) computers. Fortunately I found out in time to cancel may Amazon order.

12. mammamaia

sounds like you'll need to upgrade your puny puter, if you want to seriously pursue a career as a screenwriter...

13. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

64-bit is the highest you can reasonably get at the moment, Maia ;)

14. Sylvester

Sylvester New Member

The next step in computer evolution

The 64-bit computers are the next step up from the current 32-bit computers. With the older 32-bit systems, you are limited to 3 GB of ram. I'm able to run and fully utilize 6 GB (expandable to 8 GB on my machine). Throw in a quad core processor and... :eek:

I actually downloaded a free two week demo copy and it seems to be working fine, so I am going to buy it.

With just the demo copy I can already notice the difference between it and Celtx.

And with your recommendation, I ordered the Screenwriters Bible.

15. mammamaia

shows how much i know!... so, if that's the best, why do you think final draft won't work for you...

though it says it 'requires' a '32 bit vista' i'm sure that's only the lowest it will work on and i don't see any high limit noted... i suggest you go directly to fd and ask them if you're right about it not working, before deciding you can't use their product... it doesn't make sense to me that you couldn't, simply because you have more than the minimum required 'bits'...

glad to see you got the 'bible'... when you can afford it, i strongly suggest you get the field 'workbook' as well... it's the best for learning how to develop characters and plot, as well as how to structure the script... amazon probably has used copies for much less than retail...

16. NickFisherman

NickFisherman New Member

Well I guess I'm a bit different than you guys. I'm writing all spec scripts so all I plan to do is push print and hand the script to someone big and important. I use Celtx not only because it's free but because I've researched Final Draft and found it to be cluttered with features I would never use or can do without. You call it amateur but so what? It doesn't matter so long as the end result is a script made in the proper format. After that, producers and actors are looking only at the quality of your actual work. If someone declines because they heard you don't use final draft then they're probably a douche and you shouldn't want to work with them anyway. As far as collaboration goes...Celtx has MyStudio, sounds good enough. Google has a collaborative calendar which is far superior to either one so you'd be covered on that end. Please tell me, besides it being "amateur" what is it about Celtx that bothers some of you so much? It kind of sounds more like sour grapes for having paid for or illegally downloaded something you can easily get for free.

17. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Just like companies that publish novels....the people that decide whether a script will make it or not require certain formats. If FD is an industry standard (which I'm starting to see that it is, according to other posts), then it makes more sense to use the standard of that industry if you want to be taken seriously. It'd be like me insisting that I could write a novel in 20 point font and three different colors and insist on being taken seriously when the publisher requires a 12 point black font. A 'standard' is a 'standard' for a reason.

~Lynn

DaveOlden likes this.
  18. Kursal

Kursal New Member

It works perfectly well, I use it myself on two 64-bit systems (laptop and desktop).

19. mammamaia

which 'big and important' hollywood person do you know personally?

fyi, all scripts are 'spec scripts' till they're sold... only established screenwriters write screenplays that are not written 'on spec' and may be 'assigned' if they're working for a studio...

and of course any hard copy of a script that is properly formatted will be acceptable... all i was saying is that the lingua franca of the film industry is final draft [or at close second, moviemagic's 'screenwriter'], so if one intends to write seriously in this field, having/using the best 'tools' is a good idea...

20. NickFisherman

NickFisherman New Member

I'm sorry, did I imply that I was already somehow in the business? D'uh. If I already had the chance to sell then why would I have joined this board which I totally forgot about and only had the notion to come back when I got a new email address and was sifting through my old email?

And my whole point is the look of the hard copy. From what I've read, when I print my Celtx scripts, they are in the proper format. It's not nearly the same thing as using "20 point font and three different colors". IT ALL LOOKS THE SAME! So how does that make me not serious? How could anyone tell the difference? As far as I know, I could become a super rich and famous telewriter and produce hundreds of scripts while claiming I was using FD and no one would be the wiser, right? My question is, in the end (meaning, not based on your preferred process), what do you have against a perfectly formatted script that used one program instead of another?

21. mammamaia

using fd is not so much a matter of how it looks when it's printed, but of what you can provide to an agent/producer as an electronic file, if/when requested...

after all, if an agent likes your script and wants to consider taking it on, to scan those 110 printed pages into a computer so they can turn out copies to submit will take a lot more time and trouble than simply being sent the file by email, won't it?... and who in business doesn't send material by email at one point or another these days?