Government less Space Colonies

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by MilesTro, Oct 2, 2013.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Characters in Doctor Who are depicted as doing things *while* the TARDIS is traveling--the traveling takes a perceptible time. Also, the funny bit where River Song said "you always leave the brakes on" clearly implies motion rather than disappearance/reappearance. That doesn't seem consistent with your description.

Could you be thinking of Battlestar Galactica? There, they do disappear and reappear in a new location, with no apparent time passing.

2. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I never thought Batttlestar Galactica has that idea already.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

And by the way, Battlestar Galactica never tried to explain it. It is one of the most well-written series on television.

Food for thought.

4. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Star Trek: The Next Generation explained everything and won 18 Emmys and a Peabody. Thought for food.

5. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Well some things can be explained, and some don't. Battlestar Galactica is all about character drama while the old Star Trek series is about science and space exploration.

6. Cogito

Where did you get that idea? The original Star Trek was almost entirely social commentary. In fact, the "science" in the original series is terrible.

Next Gen won its awards for great acting and some very good writing, but the technobabble is a notoriously rickety crutch.

7. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I know the science sicks in Star Trek. However the new episdoes were indeed improved. Plus I am a Star Wars fan. I have no interest to Star Trek.

Anyways, worm holes have been over done a lot. Indeed it would take a lot of energy for a teleportation to drive transport the entire ship and crew to another location in a blink of an eye. They could use like energy from a different dimesion. Imagine a space between spaces where there's nothing but infinite energy to solve energy crisis. All vehicles will have fuel, and old companies would go out of business( figure of speech). The ships probably have machines that can draw the interdimesional energy into the teleportation drive to make it work. Plus it would also use the energy to power up the entire ship. However, it would take very advance technology to draw interdimesional energy to power everything.

8. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

You have it backwards. The amount of energy required to punch through to another dimension is huge. What's more I'm not sure which of the 10 dimensions predicted by string theory you think is "nothing but infinite energy", where that energy comes from, what creates it, and how you can harvest it.

It's easy to say "infinite energy", but what kind of energy are you talking about? Is it heat? Radiation? Electro-magnetic?

Or are there just balls of light that go, "whoosh".

9. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

It is probably cosmic radiation.

10. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Heinlein was always exploring this type of theme in his works. He has one book, the name of which escapes me right now, which talks about this in detail. It was about family owned ships, exploring the solar system, asteroid belt...

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Sounds like The Rolling Stones. Yes, Heinlein wrote a book with that title. I read it as a kid and it was one of my favorites at the time.

12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Farscape is one of the best TV series to deal with wormhole travel. Indeed, one of the story arcs is about getting wormhole travel to work, and if it works, who will control it. There are many failures, ships lost, people killed during experiments, and their 'science' is still working on the problem for the duration of the series.

When I think of anarchy, or near anarchy in space, I think of Firefly, which explores this concept pretty well. Of course there is a huge intergalactic 'government' (The Alliance) in place in the background, but many outlying colonies and ships lie outwith its reaches. There are varying forms of government in these individual places, from what appears to be total anarchy (The Reavers) to very strictly controlled hierarchies on various planets and colonies. Some work better than others, and many are governed by self-interest and/or survival rather than any particular ideal.

The ship Firefly is run by its self-appointed Captain, Malcolm Reynolds, to whom the small crew look for leadership, because he has proved himself worthy of the position. Any crew member who doesn't want to submit to his authority in times of crisis is free to leave without penalty, but if they stay on, they have to do what he says. It's a pack organisation indeed, and Reynolds is the alpha male.

13. Taillin

Taillin New Member

I would imagine (if they were planetary colonies or satellite colonies) they would form independent governments similar to the classical Greek city states. Now the interesting thing with that is depending on the local ideals you could still have drastically different political systems. You could develop an overreaching political system (for multiple colonies) though IMO that'd be unlikely unless they weren't limited by their available resources.

14. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

What about cultures? Would they remain with their original Earth cultures or start their own with different religious beliefs.

15. Cogito

culture develops in response to environment (physical and social)

16. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

So whatever planet they choose to live on, their cultures will adapt to the planet's environment.