1. shadow tiger x

shadow tiger x New Member

The Australian funny farm. More than 5 minutes fro

My son is has bottles to go to bed and is wet through in the morning HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shadow tiger x, May 30, 2008.

Hi everyone i need some advise....

My son is still on the bottle to go to bed only but he wakes up in the morning WET through and i need HELP.... I'm washing bedding every day and with another on the way i'd like to get this problem sorted before i have most my time feeding changing and well you can guess the rest....

I don't know whether to take him off the bottle, change him through the night, or make it warmer in his room.

PLEASE any advise is welcome...

2. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Hey Shadow,

Little Rumpole had the same problem. He is currently only taking a bottle at night. We were also changing sheets daily. The overnight diapers (which he had a devil of a time finding) solved the problem.

Rumpole.

3. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I haven't had this problem yet as my daughter is still waking every 2-3 hours during the night to nurse, but I had a friend that had good luck with the overnight diapers...I think she used Huggies brand, but I'm sure any would work as long as they were overnights.

I would try that before I did anything else!

4. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Yea Mrs. Rumpole said we are using Huggies as well - cause that was the only brand we could find.

5. shadow tiger x

I use Huggies also as they are the first brand we started with when my son was born and stuck with although i have never seen the overnight nappies mmmm something to look for when i go shopping i think, but if there are anyother ways i am still up for more ways....

6. lessa

lessa New Member

Raymond my eldest had a bottle until he was almost 3.
    Boy did I get read the riot act for that bit of laziness on my part.
    But he was happy and only used it at night. He would have it to go to bed.
    But I was washing laundry everyday Plus I was using cloth diapers which added
    to the load.
    I told him one day that his new baby brother was going to need to use the bottles
    when he was born. And maybe I should wash them really good and put them on the
    top shelf for his brother.
    Well that night he said he wanted a drink so I got the bottle out and he said no in a
    big brother glass.
    I also got him up just before we were going to bed and he went in the toilet.
    So maybe try to get him up during the night. Even if he doesn't wake up fully he will go in the toilet. If he doesn't run the tap and that is a sure way to make him go.
    After about a week of getting him up Raymond never had a wet bed again.
    But his younger brother when he was 2 was waking up with a wet bed. I asked him why
    and he said "Ramie did it." This went on for a week and every time he said "Ramie did it."
    Then one night I woke up and heard a noise. There was Raymond lifting the blanket like you would a toilet seat and getting ready to pee. So yes Ramie did do it.
    He walked in his sleep rather frequently and this was one of the things he did.
    I wouldn't worry about the bottle but getting him up during the night might solve the problem. Once he gets used to being taken he will eventually get up on his own.
    Or you could send him to me for a month or two. I miss little ones running around getting into mischief.

7. shadow tiger x

Thanks lessa but 1 problem my son is only 16 months and is in nappies not yet toilet trained but that is coming from the time he is 2 as i am going to use the new born as a model by me saying you are a big brother now so you have to start going to the toilet nappies are for babies and you are not a baby i hoe it works like that same with bottles i hope...

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

actually telling them nappies are for babies is not the right way to go about it at all! It is physcologically cruel to a child!

The best way is to persevere Shadow. Start toilet training him now, sit him on the potty before bed, put a mattress protecter on his bed, it is something ever parent goes through, you aren't the only one. There is no easy solution to this predicament.

The only way is to change your son during the night! Or send him to bed without a bottle. Don't give him bottles during the night, and then over time, he won't wet right through every night.

This is a normal EVERY CHILD thing and it can not be avoided without you waking yourself during the night to change your son!

1 person likes this.
  9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Although telling them "Nappies are for babies!" is shaming, recasting it to getting them excited about graduating to "big boy" toilet habits is a more empowering approach.

My youngest was the hardest to toilet train. I attribute that mostly to ambivalence on the part of my wife. She wanted to get past that stage because she didn't deal well with toilet cleanup, but she also wanted "her baby" to be her baby as long as possible.

10. Raven

Raven Banned

My second elsest song was a slow starter. Basically they will advance when they are ready. My eldest was very quick on the up take So each is different. Help them along the way but when they are ready to advance then they will. I certainly don't consider myself an expert but mine are turning out just fine. Especially my eldest.

11. shadow tiger x

Is 16 months too young for toilet training should i wait a bit longer or is it ok to start early at this age well actualy he is now 17 months. Also should i take him off of the bottle now or wait till he is 2 years old...

12. Torana

some children can come off the bottle at this age, others can't. Same with toilet training. If he drinks from a cup fine, and his milk from a cup fine, there shouldn't be too much trouble.

All you can do with toilet training is give it a go and see how it goes. Don't force him, make it enjoyable and don't scream and yell if he has an accident. Punishment with this would send them the opposite direction. It isn't easy, and will take time, but if you are willing to try, that is the first step.

Give him a small reward, each time he uses the potty/toilet, <smartie or something else smallish, biscuit, etc> and encourage him all the time.

Good luck Shadow.

13. Torana

check online for some ideas and methods, there are heaps if you look up parenting sites. Just a thought.

14. shadow tiger x

Thanks Tor just thought he would be still too young to toilet train as yet but it would be a great thing before this baby comes along to have him outta nappies really...

15. Foxee

Foxee Contributor Contributor

One thing that will free you a little bit is something you already know. You know your child best and go easy, work with what he can tolerate.

My son's 2 1/2 and it's time to get the potty seat down from the attic (he's terrified of sitting on the big potty and I don't blame him...stuff gets sucked down there, you know). He never did take a bottle but went from breast (can I say that word here?) to sippy cup and still adores his sippy cups.

One thing I don't do is give him anything but water in a sippy cup if he's taking it to bed with him as milk or juice can pool in his mouth when he falls asleep and is rough on the teeth.

Something you may want to try is reassess whether he needs a FULL bottle or not. I had the problem with my son soaking everything by morning and started giving him a half-full cup or even only a third at bed time. He was happy to get his comfort and we have had diaper inadequacy only on a couple of occasions since then.

If he's adequately hydrated through the day he doesn't really need a ton to drink before bed.

My 2 cents. :)

~F.

1 person likes this.