Grammatical pet peeves

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by iambrad, Oct 30, 2010.

1. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

digitig: not sure if your question ever got answered. Here in the US those circuits are commonly referred to as 110 or 220 circuits. So the proper nomenclature would be 110 volts AC or 220 volts AC or you can write them 110VAC or 220VAC.

That said, make sure that your audience is one that understands the vernacular. For the sake of simplicity I would probably drop the AC and just say a 110 volt circuit or 220 volt circuit unless you have a specific reason for tagging it as alternating current verses direct current.

2. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Yes, VAC is something I often see, and would probably use. But the pedants object to it (it can't be volts and current!)

3. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

why not....volts has nothing to do with current. The current as related to this nomenclature describes the direction of of travel. volts are the electric potential difference.

so, for example, you would have 220 volts of electric potential difference that is traveling in an alternating current i.e. 220VAC

4. digitig

I think Mr Ohm had something to say about volts having nothing to do with current :rolleyes:

But the point is that the current is not necessarily alternating, and VAC suggests that the volts are current. Until you apply a load there is no current. It's the volts that are alternating, which is why the pedants have lobbied for AV. Meanwhile, appliance manufacturers get the appliances to work with no problems and understand perfectly well what power feed to expect.

5. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I see. Well I can't say that I know enough about it to argue that point.

And...I'm spent!

6. digitig

I probably do know enough about it to argue it, but I don't think it worth arguing. I'm not one of the ones who cares, I just threw it in as an example of how a concern for logical purity can get in the way of communication.

7. shezrie

shezrie New Member

I have to agree. I was also always taught that as well.

Anyway, my pet peeve is the lack of punctuation.

8. digitig

Sometimes it is right. But not always: that's why there are different words.

9. Highcliffe

Highcliffe New Member

My pet hate, grammatically speaking, is to hear people say 'Could of', 'would of' and 'should of' instead of 'could have', 'would have' and 'should have'.

Arrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!

10. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I was at Publix the other day and saw a sign that said "Ham's" and I totally thought of this post.

11. pennib

pennib New Member

Hi

I’ve always felt inhibited by my lacking ability in spelling and grammar. I maybe suffer from an undiagnosed mild form of dyslexia. I like the dictionary definition - it says - a slight disorder of the brain that causes difficulty in reading and spelling, but does not affect intelligence.

Grammar
    Still trying to understand grammar yet,
    Writing out your words under threat,
    To rules by which a language interacts,
    So many things, who knows the facts,
    If understood what’s written with respect,
    Is it essential to be grammatically correct.

12. pennib

pennib New Member

Hi

I’ve always felt inhibited by my lacking ability in spelling and grammar. I maybe suffer from an undiagnosed mild form of dyslexia. I like the dictionary definition - it says - a slight disorder of the brain that causes difficulty in reading and spelling, but does not affect intelligence.

Grammar

Still trying to understand grammar yet,
    Writing out your words under threat,
    To rules by which a language interacts,
    So many things, who knows the facts,
    If understood what’s written with respect,
    Is it essential to be grammatically correct.

13. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

That is probably my problem as well.

Some grammar issues just don't stick and I continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

I am terrible with spelling. Somethings have been beaten into my head and I've remembered, but all throughout school I would fail spelling test after spelling test no matter how often I studied.

14. fish1

fish1 New Member

Probably been mentioned before, but I can't stand it when people mix up 'then' and 'than'. I've come to accept 'your' instead of 'you're', and people not being able to differentiate between 'there', 'they're' and 'there', but just how do you get 'than' wrong? For example: "I'm better then you". Seriously?