1. Jenurik Name

Jenurik Name Member

I'm here to write books and drink whiskey

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jenurik Name, Jan 23, 2015.

... and I'm all out of whiskey.

But I am serious about writing books. I'm an undergrad in university majoring in engineering, but I've always had the writing bug. My favorite novel is Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe. My other favorite writers would be John Updike, as well as Cormac McCarthy and Elmore Leonard. I also enjoy fantasy.

My ambition is to write a blood-drenched psychological thriller.

I'm glad I found this forum, and hope to learn a lot as a writer and contribute to the community.

kfmiller, minstrel and Chinspinner like this.
  2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, @Jenurik Name, and welcome to the forum! Please read our New Member Quick Start Guide - it'll get you going around here.

You sound like me - I majored in engineering (electrical) in university oh so many years ago (early 80s), and I'm a fan of Look Homeward, Angel too! I haven't read any Updike or Leonard yet, though.

Participate and have fun!

3. Shamgar81

Shamgar81 Member

Welcome to the family hope you find what you seek.

4. Burroughs

Burroughs Member

Whisky, now you're my type of guy. I'm recently got into Cormac McCarthy, are there any of his novels you recommend?

5. Jenurik Name

Jenurik Name Member

That's a cool coincidence! I don't know many people who've read it. At best they know it indirectly since Stephen King used Wolfe's "a stone, a leaf, an unfound door" epigraph for The Dark Tower series. I really think he deserves to be read in high school, at least in electives.

Thanks, I appreciate the welcome!

Heh, I'm in a whiskey dilemma. My dad picked up 5 or 6 bottles of the 25 yr Arbeg Lord of the Isles way back when, off ebay, whether out of investment foresight or he just felt like it I don't know. Back when it was a couple hundreds of dollars. Now it goes for about 1k euros even. So now we're stuck with $1000+ bottles of whiskey. Do you drink it? Sell it?

McCarthy's style is long, winding, brooding sentences. Blood Meridian and The Road are the tamed version of McCarthy, but everyone recommends those. If you go back a decade or two to works like Suttree and The Outer Dark (these I recommend), it gets intense trying to follow what's going on. The pages feel like a maze at first, but when you look at the way he puts words together, you feel like this guy is something more than merely a great writer. I've never felt that way about any other author.

I'm also recommending Suttree and Outer Dark from the basis that they have great pedagogical value. He's very visual and can capture the soul and sorrow of a specific place in a way that modern authors aren't. There's a lot to learn from I think.

6. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

Australia via Hawaii via Australia via England
    25 yr Ardberg! I would definitely be enjoying at least 1 bottle of that!

7. Burroughs

Burroughs Member

Wow sounds like you have some damn good whisky there. Unfortunately I only drink it and am far from a connoisseur.

The road was what first attracted me to Cormac, but I recently read outer dark and loved the style! I'll definitely check out suttree

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Out of whisky? That is a shame.

9. J Faceless

J Faceless Active Member

Welcome! I considered myself a whiskey drinker too, until this thread shamed me with brands I've never heard of. Damn my frugal means!

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.