1. Uisdean

Uisdean New Member

Came in through the bathroom window...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Uisdean, Apr 7, 2016.

Hi to Everyone!

I have been writing for a long time, but I've never submitted anything to a publisher. Hope to do that soon.
    Years ago I joined a writing forum and was disappointed by the experience. Lots of sniping, etc. Very little that helped me with my writing.

I found this place by accident. The thread on Dune caught my interest. I read about 6 or 7 pages of that thread and decided that this might be worthwhile. That is one of my favorite novels. But Alice in Wonderland, Wicked, much of C. S. Lewis, Atlas Shrugged, and Tolkien...and...well I have a lot of favorites.

I read Dune in print version years ago, then, while driving a semi cross country I listened to it at least two or three times. But I never thought about how Herbert had crafted the book. Reading the entries in the thread, I realized just how good the book is. In addition, some of the comments in the thread are very useful in crafting my own writing. I learned some things just reading the thread. I also bought a copy of the video with Sting (remember The Police rock band?) as the Baron's favorite nephew. I've watched that at least twice. Reading people's reaction to the story is very revealing. That's what convinced me to take a chance and join. You seem to be serious about writing. There's a lot to this website. It will take a while to learn how to use it.

Years ago I started writing a novel, but got bogged down in the tale. So I started writing short stories to work on my style and my skill at communicating thought. I have written several short stories and I'm currently working on a couple. And one day, hopefully soon, I will return to that novel...

Rejoice Always!
    Uisdean

Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.
  2. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Woo! Hello!
    Always nice to see another new face! Woo!
    Also, nerds rule, embrace the fact you read so much!
    Woo!
    :cheerleader:

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Feelin' positive today!

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Welcome to the Forum. :p
    There are a lot of good people here.

Then there are the goofballs. :p I think the more serious their story the more humor they have on the forum (then again that might just be me). :p

Anywho, See ya around the Forum. :D :superhello:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. Oscar Leigh

Oh, that's reasonably true of me too. I almost exclusively write R-rated with sex, blood and swearing. But I'm a very positive, optimistic person and I'm a pacifist. That also explains Lifeline.

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

What a great introduction from somebody who writes AND reads. (And is a Beatles fan as well?) Welcome to the forum. Sniping is certainly kept to a minimum here by the vigilance of our excellent mods. I've made quite a few friends since I joined a few years ago.

Your name intrigues me. Are you actually a Gaelic Scot? Or is it a name you've adopted as a forum avatar, or for writing purposes? I like it. I've always liked that name.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Sleuth's hat tells me Middle America @jannert . Just looked the name up and, seeing how it's pronounced, like it too.

jannert likes this.
  8. jannert

Sleuth's hat, eh? Well that could certainly prove useful.

9. SethLoki

Okay, wannabe sleuth. Better not big up my informant's abilities. It was just the OP's spelling of realise, favourite and the time of the post that had me plonk him over the pond.

jannert and Oscar Leigh like this.
  10. Oscar Leigh

Clever. However, sometimes I do that on this site because of all the red lines I get. It's confusing my spelling a little to be honest. My instincts are feeling a bit muddled.

11. SethLoki

Yes, muddled would be a good word choice. I think English classification is the subject of another thread (think I've done enough of hijacking this one). I spot the differences quite often now after some research whilst trying to find my 'writing voice'. It was a bit daunting to be honest, the notion of keeping one's writing pure and in the frame of a single category. It'd take some individual to police themselves effectively. So come the time prior to submission of any works I feel I should inflict on the world, I'll likely put my short arms into my deep pockets and try and find the cash for an editor. Heck, even within British English there's more than one way to spell and punctuate; add to that your Australian English, American English and Canadian English—you'll soon see your word becoming even more apt.

12. Oscar Leigh

Sometimes my life feels like a constant battle against the invasiveness of American culture. "I do actually like some Australian things! Not all of them but some! Let me keep them!"

13. SethLoki

:D ɥsᴉlƃuƎ uɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀ ɟo ǝsuǝs ǝʞɐɯ ʇnoqɐ ʇsnɾ uɐɔ I

jannert and Oscar Leigh like this.
  14. Oscar Leigh

"It makes perfect sense to me!" he said, non-biasedly, with no element of normalisation involved at all. Nope. None of that. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

jannert likes this.
  15. jannert

Oh, well spotted. You see, I've lived my life in halves ...half in the USA and half in Scotland. While I know the difference in the spellings, they don't always hit me, because they both look fine to me. But you're right. Someone who lives in Scotland wouldn't realize or have a favorite. As to the time ...well, heck. That's not always a marker. Depends on whether you're a night owl or a day owl.

SethLoki likes this.
  16. jannert

That's because you're upside down when you read it. :)

17. Oscar Leigh

Wait, have I missed something here? Is the upside down thing because of Australia's position on the Earth?

jannert likes this.
  18. jannert

Relative to us here in the UK, yes! :) You could do the same for us.

19. Fawky

Fawky Member

Welcome!
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with writing forums before, but I'm sure you'll feel quite opposite on here. The way this forum really helps you with your writing isn't just through having your own work critiqued, but also the art of critiquing others. You become more aware of the things you notice in other people's works when you write yourself, as of course it's a lot harder to self-critique than do so to others.

Also, I love Alice in Wonderland, particularly the characters and how beautifully they're created. I even have a notebook in the style of it, haha. Anyway, hope you'll have a good time and I can read some of your work soon!

20. Uisdean

Uisdean New Member

Thanks to all for your warm welcome.

My DNA is most likely Sassanach:) My wife's family is Clan Gordon: so I am now Clan Gordon. One of my favorite authors is Stephen Lawhead. After reading his series on King Arthur and the Celtic myth trilogy Song of Albion I began to research Celtic culture. We made a couple of trips to Scotland & I became interested in Scots Gaelic. I bought a couple of "how to speak Gaelic" book/cd texts, but it's very difficult to learn a language when no one around you can speak it. Anyway, yes, it's just a nom de plume.

Not Quite...North Carolina. But I read so much British stuff in high school that I frequently spell things the way the Queen might. :)

jannert and SethLoki like this.
  21. Uisdean

Uisdean New Member

When I was a kid we had a book & record set of the Disney Alice which we listened to so much we had memorized it. It was the old 78 RPM's & much abridged. Then I found The Annotated Alice in my high school library.

Fawky likes this.