1. suzyq

suzyq New Member

Greetings from a writer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suzyq, Jul 17, 2007.

Hi everyone

I decided I was going to write a novel and have it published. That was 7 years ago. Since then, I've started and stopped writing the novel, started and stopped another one, started and stopped yet another one... anyway, you get the picture.

So I've joined this forum to help get myself 'unstuck'.

What else? I seem to be able to give out advice about writing all the time - which other writers follow and get great results with - but I'm not so great at following my own advice. Why is that?

Seeya around!

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to the forums! If you need any help with anything, or have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello suzyq, and welcome to the Writing Forums.

A novel always seemed like a daunting project to me, one I've never seriously considered tackling. I know how hard it can be to keep momentum even on a sizeable short story. But you will find people here who have risen to that challenge, and hopefully you can get some tips and encouragement.

Meanwhile, I hope you'll take the time to survery the forums comprising the site. The Community Interaction forums are a great place to get to know the other members, and to stretch your imagination and writing skills with competitions and challenges. The Writing Issues forums contain discussions relating to style, grammar, plot and character development, and publishing. The Review Room forums are where members post samples of their work for constructive suggestions to improve their writing. The latter forums are set up to encourage members to become active and anlytical before encouraging them to post their own work. For one thing, when you begin looking critically at other people's work, you can often improve your own writing before putting it up for others to fine tune. Also, it helps establish that the submitter is serious about the process, not just seeking applause; too often, people show up, post their favorite writings, then leave disappointed that their work is not seen as already perfect.

Anyway. I hope you do find the motivation and the encouragement here to help you structure and complete your novels. Writing involves a good deal of work, though, so it is also vital that you have fun!

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hi and welcome to WF.org, it is wonderful of you to join us here and I look forward to seeing you and your work around the board.

Well do have fun and feel free to join in where ever you feel you can.

Torana

5. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Like Cogito said a novel is daunting and certainly not something feel I could acheive yet - though I once saw some advice that said try and write a short story of a considerable length first so as to prove you can finish a story and be happy with it. The tinkering is what prevents you from reaching your goal. Also I feel for a novel, or short story, planning has to be the key, then flesh out the plan exponetionally into a story. In short, have the story written in note form, then make it literate.

Good luck anyway and see you around the site.

6. Novel Novice

Novel Novice New Member

Welcome! I've tried a novel or two... still haven't found one that can carry on into what a novel is supposed to be, that's for sure---one day!

Enjoy the forum :)

7. suzyq

suzyq New Member

Thanks everyone for your welcome and words of encouragement!

I look forward to being here and participating.