1. mrsradcliffegothic

mrsradcliffegothic New Member

Morning all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mrsradcliffegothic, Jul 18, 2007.

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post (I am new to the forum) and so I thought it would be nice to introduce myself. I live in the UK near Cambridge and am training to become a librarian. I am very interested in literature from both a theory and creative writing perspective. I enjoy writing and hope to learn more about the craft in order to technically strengthen my ideas.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Hello there, and welcome to the forums. I hope you find the forums useful. What kind of thing do you write? Please feel free to ask if you need any help with anything at all. I'm always happy to help, and so is everyone else on the site.

3. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Welcome - I see you've already got stuck into the poetry section, your thoughts on the works of others serve as a great way to introduce yourself on the site.
    Generally the more you give the more you're likely to receive!

Any questions feel free to ask. Those with green user names are our reviewers so could be able to help you with a certain piece if you ask nicely! Though many uncredited members are equally as adept.

See you around the site.

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to WF.org. I do hope that you find the site to be informative and enjoyable.
    I am sure you have had a good look around the various boards that we have here by now.
    If not, you should take your time to have a look around as there are some extremely helpful threads all over the place.
    Well good luck with your writing endeavours andI shall see you around the board.

Torana

5. mrsradcliffegothic

mrsradcliffegothic New Member

Thanks

Hi and thanks for the welcome. I write on quite a variety of subjects and themes, I get flashes which are all too often lost and really want to buy a dictaphone or notebook! I have horrible phases where I have great ideas that turn to cliched mush when I try to write them down. I find it hard to sustain writing over a long story but also it is difficulty writing poetry where each word means so much.
    I have a desire to write a novel and have lots of ideas, but I can’t decide what I want it to be – coming of age, murder mystery, gothic… It’s hard to pin things down I think. I write because I have so many things going on in my head but I find it hard to plot properly.
    I hope that I shall learn more on here through reviewing and taking on board the thoughts of others who review my work.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello mrsradcliffegothic, welcome to the Writing Forums.

I see that Banzai, Gannon, and Torana have already said most of what I would have said, but I will amplify Gannon's point about posting reviews. What I have found is that I learn even more from reviewing other people's work than from receiving reviews (not by any means minimizing the value of the review comments I have received!). When you scrutinize someone else's work, you give it a different type of attention than when you are writing, or proofreading work you are already familiar with from having written it.

Anyway, welcome, and I hope you find the interaction that best suits you. And have fun!