1. Jones

Jones My body is ready

Yay! new member!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jones, Sep 27, 2015.

Hi, Forum,

I'm a lawyer in Texas and took on writing because, well, I hate my job (I know, it's unlikely I'd be able to quit my day job even with a couple of published novels, but I can dream).

Anyway, I wrote a manuscript and a few agents have liked it, but I'm getting back that I don't have enough of a "platform" or online backing to sign on as a client. So I figured I'd join the "community" and try to learn what it is I need to be doing other than writing. So here I am.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Hi! (Confetti rains down) :p

IDK what 'online backing' is, but that seems kind of strange. Try submitting to another agent/publisher it may work out, without all that extra nonsense. Anywho, good luck. :D

3. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

Hey! A fellow Texan! I've been lonely here for quite sometime, representing the state all by myself. Welcome. :)

Also, I'd start blogging, if you're not already. It's an interesting concept these days, publishing has changed dramatically thanks to blogging. You're essentially your own publicist, so no longer can one's writing stand on its on, in most circumstances. It seems they want you to also have a large online following on social media.

It's a shame, considering that blogging in such a way to attract a massive following is a full-time job in and of itself, when most of us already need a day job to get by. Sigh ...

On another note, what kind of law do you practice?

4. Jones

Jones My body is ready

Commercial litigation. Mostly real estate and construction.

Yeah, I'm thinking about how to start blogging. It might also help to get a couple of short stories out there.

5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

That's interesting and a little scary. I don't have the time or inclination to get a social media "backing" since as @No-Name Slob says, that's a full time job. If I had the time for that I would self-publish and save myself the 15% agent fees. But anyway, I hope you find what you're looking for.

6. Jones

Jones My body is ready

Tenderiser, that's exactly my thought. If I had built-in audience already, what do I need an agent/publisher for?

Tenderiser likes this.