1. nacht

nacht New Member

So, what's goin' on?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nacht, Oct 13, 2009.

Hey, my name is Brandon, and I'm an alcoholic

I mean!!! I'm a writer! Of course! Of course that's what I meant!

:p

At any rate, there's not much to put here. I was a role player for a long time, playing the character Night Shimatori, exclusively for about ten years. I have started a couple of books, however I can never seem to bring myself to finish one. Go figure, right?

Anyway, anything else you want to know is up to you to ask. I won't lie... ever. So, ask whatever it is you want to know (although I will caution you that you will get the exact answer to whatever it is you ask me, and nothing more or less than that.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Brandon, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome to the forums! :D

4. nacht

nacht New Member

Well, you're a pleasantly long-winded fellow, aren't you? I thank you for the formal welcome wagon with sincerity of the highest caliber. You will be pleased to know that I did most of everything you have mentioned prior to my registration, so I figure saying that would have saved you such a lovely multiple-paragraph post, though it was appreciated.
    And a great thanks to you, Gigi, for both the welcome, and the quote signature. I can't believe how true that statement is, for not only myself, but other writers and readers I have met.

To be honest, though, I'm not so much of a reader. Heck, I can barely read a paragraph before either growing bored or exhausted. Then again, I could always blame my failing eyes on that account.
    No, I will honestly say that I have only fully read one book series, and that was because my at-the-time girlfriend urged me into it (not that I didn't enjoy it; as a matter of fact, it has become the best collection of literature I have ever had the displeasure to finish.)

However, I will happily offer critique and review to the writers at this forum (not at this moment, obviously enough. It's 6:59 AM where I live.)

Actually, I may, I'm still undecided. Oh, and yes, I will always post like this -- once my thoughts are out there, I won't remove them from the post, which creates more of a verbal setting, rather than a literary one.

Thanks again
    ~Brandon.

P.S.

Could you, maybe, give me a link to that review workshop I must post in twice before posting my own work?

Also, if I vanish randomly for undetermined amounts of time, I will (more than likely) be back. I'll try to make mention of it somewhere on the bored prior.
    Sorry.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The entire Review Room forum, and its subforums, is the critiquing workshop. That is where you post constructive critiques, and improve your critiquing skills, before proceeding to the next step of posting your own work. Making good use of the critiques that are offered is also a skill to be developed. Not all of the advice will be good, or useful to you, and understanding the reasoning behind each suggestion helps you make better choices in using them or not.

6. Kas

Kas New Member

Hello, "night".:)

Welcome to the forum!

7. nacht

nacht New Member

^.^ Bist du Deutsch?

Yes, I understand what the critiquing workshop is for, but not quite where it is.

...never mind. I found it.

8. von Pook

von Pook Member

Hallo und willkommen Brandon. Wo wohnst du in Deutschland? :cool:

9. nacht

nacht New Member

Nicht. Ich wohne Vereinigten Staaten. Ich habe Deutsches in meinem Blut.

10. von Pook

von Pook Member

Ich verstehe. Ich auch nicht, ich komme aus England, aber ich lebe in Baden-Württemberg im Moment und für die im letzten Jahr. Willkommen wieder. Zurück zu den jetzt Englisch. :)
    p.s meine Hochdeutsch ist nicht perfekt. :rolleyes:

I see. Me neither, I'm from England but I'm living in Baden Württemberg at the moment and for the last year. Welcome again. Back to english now. :)
    p.s my high german is not perfect. :rolleyes:

11. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Welcome to the forums, Nacht. I've no doubt your journey will be an interesting one.

12. nacht

nacht New Member

Wow, I haven't spoken a full German conversation with anybody since my freshman year in High School.
    Thanks for the convo. ^^

And again, thanks for the welcome.

Oh, and also, I took the liberty of altering your avatar (just for the graphic design practice.) I made your face vewy ebil. >: D

and thank you, Cheeno! ^^ I hope it is

13. von Pook

von Pook Member

mine?

14. nacht

nacht New Member

yeah, but I didn't keep it. I just wanted to see if I could do it. :)