1. Lolani

Lolani New Member

Character Specie

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Lolani, Sep 2, 2008.

I had this review for my chapter on WEbook.com and it struck me as odd.

After hours of trying to come up with the perfect specie name for my character, this guy comes in and tells me 'Tagor' isn't right.

After all this other nonsense (which I wont get into) I decided that I need to give up on Tagor.

So, I'm stuck. I need to figure out a new specie name for a character described as such:

The character is a humanoid dog-like creature (has all the traits of a human except for her ears)

There is another creature which shares the same specie, though he is considered 'pure' (non-humanoid; takes on purely animal traits) so I think the specie name would have to be rather universal.

So, seeing I'm completely stuck, this place is my last hope. Any suggestions?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's your writing, use whatevet name suits you. This "guy" can write his own story and select his own names.

3. Lolani

Lolani New Member

That's what I thought at first, though now it's starting to really bother me.

I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but maybe he's right?

I don't know....

You know, maybe I should keep the name, and just clarify it more in the next chapter.

Hmmm.

Thanks for your input, anyways! It's always appreciated.:D

4. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

What did he say (that you won't get into)? That the species name meant something rude in another language, or something :confused: (That's the only reason I would change it.)

5. Lolani

Lolani New Member

He was saying a bunch of put-downs about the chapter (keep in mind it's only the FIRST DAMN CHAPTER.) -ahem-

Tagor, he said, reminded him of 'Tiger,' which he thought was where I got the name from. Though, I had clearly described her in the beginning, he kept mentioning how he thought she had tiger (or cat-like) features. Though, she was clearly described as a dog.

I'm just thinking it'll be for the best if I change it....

I'm still on the fence, though.

6. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

If he didn't have anything constructive to say, and he was obviously not reading closely (mistaking a dog for a cat solely because he thought "Tagor" was similar to "Tiger") then why would you think his opinion was particularly valid?

7. Lolani

Lolani New Member

The rest of his review was put quite.... 'matter-of-factly.'

There were certain points in my chapter that were meant to set her apart from the humans, and he's trying to put them up to physics.

I kept telling myself, 'ude. This is fantasy. It's supposed to be unreal.' But it just keeps nagging at me.

I know I shouldn't go off of solely one person's oppinion, because I know there will be hundreds of people who shove their heads up other people's asses to get their points across. I don't understand why this /one/ guy just keeps getting to me.

It's called 'intimidating you to make you feel inferior.' and I have to learn to accept it. Unfortunately, there were some points where he was right.

And the 'Tagor' one just keeps bugging me.

8. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Well, how did you come up with the name originally? Does it have an etymology behind it?

If it's really bothering you, then change it, but if you have reasons for your choice and you can defend it, then I don't see why you should make yourself so unhappy over a random stranger's point of view.

You can pick and choose, you know; sometimes someone will give you both good and bad advice. He might have had a point about "unrealistic" events, and if you decide that he did you should edit them. The name, well, that's more a personal taste thing. The stuff that sounds reasonable, that makes sense, that you are convinced by; that's the stuff you use. The other stuff, you ignore.

9. Lolani

Lolani New Member

To be honest, I have absolutely no clue how the hell I came up with it. I had written an outline of the specie (including the land they were from) though it doesn't match the land (like Americans are to America and Canadians are to Canada and so on...) which throws me off even more.

My better half keeps telling me to ignore it, and make it even /more/ clear in the next chapter. (though it's already 3/4ths written out.)

I just can't help but feel that he'll have even more to say on the subject, considering I'll be introducing her cat, Kora, who is a Tagor. I just know he's going to burst in and say...

Well, that's implausible. Cat's can't talk.

Just like he did with all the rest.

Damn it. Listen to me. This guy is just a total ass, and I need to stop worrying about it.

10. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

If his objections to a fantasy story are on the level of "Cats can't talk!" then he can safely be ignored, I'd say.

ETA: And because it's driving me absolutely nuts, the singular of "species," when discussing taxonomy, is "species."

"Specie" means "type or kind" rather than being the part of taxonomy that comes after "genus." (It's also generally not used in modern English, except in a couple of lingering Latin phrases.) A "species" is a group of animals or plants that have a similar appearance (and usually genetic heritage.)

I apologize. My inner Grammar Nazi has to be let out to run around periodically, or he gets cranky and starts chewing the sofa.

1 person likes this.
  11. Lolani

Lolani New Member

I agree.

But, I'll be seriously pissed if he does. I'll have something to say to that whiney brat.

12. Lolani

Lolani New Member

Hmmm. xDD I'm sitting here, blasted with a terrible head cold, and reading that, laughing my ass off.

It's either what you wrote, or pure delerium. Delerium it is!:eek::D

13. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

Oh, sure. Just deny me any credit at all.

Go ahead. I'm used to it.

*places delicate hand on porcelain forehead*

Woe! O woe for a cru-el and corrupted world, that neither knows me nor loves me for what I truly am!

14. Lolani

Lolani New Member

Holy crap.

Since when do I sit in complete darkness laughing at myself?

Oh, wait. It was that truly confusing sentance you posted. xDD Funny, funny, though. I shall always look to you for a good laugh.

And advice for my novel if I shall ever find myself in need.

-trying to recreate what you wrote-

O woe is me, for I have a terrible half-headcold. And I truly, and utterly, screwed up this saying.

wow.

-applauds self-

15. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

:p

I'm glad you approve.

16. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Here is the deal.

If you like the name Tagor then use it.

End of story.

They are not writing YOUR book or story, YOU are.

So write what you feel like writing.

17. ladyisatramp

ladyisatramp New Member

Seriously, whine much?! Call it a Tagor if you wanna call it a Tagor. If you're worried taht it sounds too much like tiger (which I think is a fair enough point actually) then change it. Maybe look up some different breeds of dogs or wolves (or their Latin names) and draw inspiration from them.

From what you've said, I don't think the reviewer was trying to make you feel bad. I think he was probably just trying to write an honest review (you even said you agreed with some of his points). You really shouldn't take everything so personally; if you disagree with someone's suggestions then don't implement them. Having said that, it is important to think about why people are making certain suggestions as a lot of the time other people will spot potential problems with you work that you might not have thought of (such as the Tagor/tiger issue).

Having said that, a small minority of people are just rude and unhelpful but it's important to learn to ignore them (rather than whining and wallowing in self-pity)...

Hope your cold gets better soon!!

18. ladyisatramp

ladyisatramp New Member

I just read my last post and I think perhaps I should have phrased it a little more delicately so I apologise for that. I was just making the point that by posting a piece of writing you are inviting criticism (which you may or may not find helpful). Perhaps you should consider more carefully whether you are ready for your work to be criticised next time you post something. Sorry if I was a bit rude before!

19. Lolani

Lolani New Member

Hahah. Normally, I don't react like that /at all./ Usually, I brush it off and forget about it. I think it's just my cold that's getting to me.

For now, I think I have it worked out. I added quite a bit more pertaining to her description (including that she has NO tiger like qualities xDD) so I think it's a little more clear now.

I also finished up the second chapter, and I think it's going so well!

PS! I kept Tagor, and I don't think I'll have any more problems. Especially with the description I gave!!!

Thanks for all your help, guys!:p

20. nguyene

nguyene New Member

if you ask me, tagor does not remind me of a tiger in any way. especially if you clarify it. you may be bothered by one comment but remember, there are thousands of people out there who could love you story just the way it is. i mean, it is just a name. There are a lot of people who don't look like their name at all. you could also take advantage of the name and make her personality or hobbies according to it.

21. TheAdlerian

TheAdlerian New Member

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny had a "multiverse" idea where Amber is the main Earth and that there are a huge number of "shades" of it. So, the Earth we know is a distant relation to Amber lacking its fantastic elements.

My point is that in your fantasy world a Tagor could be a shade of this world's Tiger. Maybe not, because it doesn't matter anyway.

If you feel the name is dumb then change it. If not, then stick with it and don't let people make you second guess yourself too much.