1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Daniel, Dec 28, 2012.

I know there has to be some Breaking Bad fanatics here. I know I am. It's the best show in television, hands down.

So how about a Breaking Bad discussion thread? :D

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'm a huge fan. I even got a Heisenberg shirt for Christmas (the one with a sketch of Walt). Breaking Bad has gotten better with every season, which is rare for TV shows. It's definitely one of the best shows I've ever watched. It sucks that we have to wait 6 months for the rest of season 5.

1 person likes this.
  3. Daniel

Nice! I've seen that shirt online, looks pretty cool. That does suck we have to wait. Makes me want to start a marathon from episode one onwards.

Do we have any idea how many more seasons to expect? I vaguely remember someone telling me there was going to be one or two more seasons or something, but I'm not sure. I hope it doesn't end anytime soon. :(

4. thirdwind

Hate to say it, but this season (season 5) is the last. There are only 8 more episodes left.

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I love it and can't wait until it comes back. I read about a candy store in ABQ that sells blue rock candy to look like the crystal meth. I thought that was pretty cool, but not everyone agreed.

I am wondering whether at the end of the season (series) whether Jesse kills Walt. I think that would be such an arc -- here he was the one originally who was thought to be the "real" criminal, while Walter was the more wholesome HS teacher, who gets involved with the meth. But it has turned out that Jesse is really more moral than Walt and has way more qualms about killing someone, and I think it would be something if at the end, Jesse sees no way out other than to kill Walt.

I'm sure whatever they do, it will be brilliant.

Oh - and this is the last season. Actually this is like half a season. They broke up the last season, so there are only like 8 more episodes or so.

6. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I have been meaning to get into it, I know that the reviews are all amazing and I've talked to a lot of people who absolutely love it. Now seeing this thread makes me want to start watching it all the more!

7. thirdwind

I never thought about this. I suppose it's very likely. I'm expecting a gunfight between Walt and the DEA because I remember Walt getting an M4 or M16 or something similar in the first episode of season 5.

8. Daniel

I refuse to believe!!!

9. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

I loved the first three seasons of Breaking bad. The fourth one I thought went slightly down hill, but still very good. The real contrast I found between those seasons is they seemed to completely neglect all the black humour which, for me, really made the show stand out. Season four was lots of shouting, shooting, explosions, running about, all that stuff. But I suppose it couldn't have been played out in any other way given the storyline of Gus. It was all of a more serious tone, less quirky interplays between Jesse and Walter. Skylar really got on my nerves in season four lol. She is easily one of the most interfering, annoying, whiny, duplicitous characters I've ever seen on TV. I loved the character progression of Walter though, to more and more darker edges. I haven't watched season five yet but I will at some point.

10. Junipergins

Junipergins New Member

Its true that this is the last season. They decided to split season 5, which is why it was only 8 episodes long. The last half will be this summer and then it's done.

@Mackers - I actually loved the 4th season. It was crazy intense, although I get what you mean about it being more dark than humorous, when the show is all about being dark humor.

@chicagoliz - I am also thinking that Jessie kills Walt. I really thought it would end when Jessie discovered that Walt poisoned Brock. I'm actually sort of surprised Jessie didn't do anything about it. I think if Jessie dies I'll be bummed out beyond consolation.

11. thirdwind

Jesse never found out. He thought that Walt had used ricin, but if I remember correctly, they find the ricin pill that had supposedly gone missing. Walt used lily of the valley to poison Brock. I'm pretty sure Walt got rid of the plant.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't watch the series, but if you're posting spoilers, you should wrap them in [NOPARSE]
    Stuff that gives away surprises to someone who isn't completely caught up.
    [/NOPARSE] tags.

Stuff that gives away surprises to someone who isn't completely caught up.

13. thirdwind

All that stuff is from over a year and a half ago, so I figured anyone who's even a casual fan of the show probably knows what happened.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Ah, okay. As I said, I don't watch this particular series, so I wasn't sure if this was current revelations. Sorry, I didn't intend to fling sodden fleece over the discussion.

Nevernind...

15. Junipergins

Junipergins New Member

Ah I forgot spoiler tags. Sorry about that. I assumed anyone reading a thread with the title of a show would be prepared for details on that show.

I think you're right, thirdwind. I thought in a particular scene that Walt confessed it, but no, he covers it up pretty completely.

16. Futurist

Futurist New Member

I loved all the scenes with that featured Mexicans. Some of them were surreal, and the Mariachi opening of one episode was hilarious. Maybe because I lived in Mexico for several years and appreciate the cultural nuances.

17. thirdwind

I never understood the crawling part in Mexico. I think it happened back in season 3.

18. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Sometimes Mexicans crawl to the statues of saints in supplication.

Anywhay, I really loved Breaking Bad, but I still have to watch the final season.

19. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I only just got into it this past month, and I marathoned the entire thing and I'm now caught up and anxiously waiting for the summer like the rest of us! :D

This show is a complete and utter masterstroke, in every way. The acting, the writing, the direction and sound editing and cinematography... there's nothing like it. (And if I could sit with Michael Slovis for an hour, oh, the questions I would ask him.) I fell utterly in love and now I can't stop. It's as addicting as... well, meth. And just as pure too.

20. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

SO I finally caught up to current on this show and let me tell you, it's amazing. Netflix had all the season except 5, which I bought on itunes.

I can't believe Walt killed Mike. I actually loved the character of Mike but I understand why they did it. Man, if Jesse knew that Walt killed his girlfriend AND poisoned his new gf's kid AND killed Mike, he'd be super pissed.

I just love the course that Walt has taken. He has had some major milestones. My favorite was in the parking lot of Home Depot where he confronts those thugs. Also in season 5 when he fully accepted his reputation.

At first I thought it was about the purity of the chemistry, then I thought it was about pride in his creation, now I think it has degraded into a lust for power. Awesome.

21. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Walt is, as Vince Gilligan has said, his efforts to turn 'Mr. Chips into Scarface,' and it's brilliant. There's nothing like it on TV - we see this protagonist become the antihero and then the antagonist, and it's a slow ride down.

22. Daniel

It absolutely is. The directing, the acting, the cinematography... all award-worthy. It's a rare thing to see a show like Breaking Bad. It's done perfectly in every aspect. I wonder how many new meth dealers and manufacturers the show creating. :p

I feel like Jesse has to find out in this last season. He already knows about Mike. This last season is going to be epic. And you're right about Walt's evolution... which is so beautifully done. Walt's motives have evolved. I think it's a great look into how a character or person with good motives can lose to the desire for power.

I really hate to see my favorite shows end, but with Breaking Bad I believe they're doing it at the right time. Too much longer and there won't be much they can do with the fundamental plot, especially considering the last aired episode. They're going to end it and tie the ends up perfectly.

I only recently watched the final episode. I don't know how I didn't see it earlier, but WOW.

What is Hank going to do now that he knows it's Walt? Walt's done such a great job of keeping the truth hidden under Hank's nose... how did he make the mistake of keeping that book there? Speculation? Shit's going to get intense.

23. Myers

Myers Member

Well Breaking Bad is officially part of British mainstream culture now. It was just mentioned by a character on Coronation Street... yeah, its really hit the big time now!

I love this show, has to be my favourite show of all time. I read an article about Breaking Bad in Empire the other day and Gilligan said we're in a golden age of TV at the moment and I have to agree. Shows like this, Dexter, Homeland and Game of Thrones easily rival anything at the cinema.

I am one of those annoying people who goes around telling everyone that they need to watch this show... but that's because they need to watch it! When I try to explain what its about I really don't feel like I'm doing it justice.

Shame its coming to an end but as many people have already said its best to go out on a high.

24. Daniel

Hey @Myers, I think I, too, agree that we might be in the "Golden Age" of television. I try not to watch too much TV, but some shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men are must see shows, with so many other great shows out there.

25. Myers

Myers Member

Exactly. If you compare the quality of TV shows made within the past few years compared to shows that aired in the nineties there is a massive difference. Some of these shows have a movie quality feel and look to them and also attract very talented actors.