1. terrwyn

terrwyn New Member

Guardians in my novel

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by terrwyn, Nov 7, 2011.

I'm writing a fantasy novel that takes place on my own created planet. In the skies, there are pieces of floating land where people go after they pass on. It's a perfect and beautiful place where the creators, the king and queen, rule. At the beginning of time, the rulers created Guardians when they created mankind. These Guardians were designed to protect and fight. Each person has their own Guardian, but the Guardians only show themselves when the person would understand their purpose. Some people first meet their Guardians as young ages, and some don't see them until they are even at adulthood.

I'm stuck on a few things here. I need a name for the floating lands where the Guardians come from. I have been using the name Tutorum Sanctum (for Sanctum of Guardians) but I'm not sure if that fits. I also need some kind of title for the person under the Guardian. For example, a Master and Servant. Since I have the name Guardian, I just need a title for the person. In this case, the human would fit the Master better and the Guardian would be the servant.

Also, I'm not sure if I should make the Guardians only visible to their own "master" (I'll use that word in this case) or if I should make them visible to everyone. Or even allow them to have the option to do both, to be invisible to everyone but that one person, and also to be visible at times of fighting with a crowd.

If anyone here has watched the anime Blood +, it's slightly similar.

2. bazzie

bazzie New Member

Hi,

In terms of the name for the humans, how would the Guardians address them? Would they address them as "Master" ?

I think the visible / not visible idea is interesting, you could also consider visible to their own "master" and also other Guardians?

bazzie

3. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Do these Guardians die? If they're immortal, maybe they could refer to their guardees as mortals? Just a suggestion, not really sure how medieval you're willing to sound here.
    As far as naming the floating lands goes, English/Latin dictionaries are always good for ideas. Here are some from google translate (I have a dictionary but I have no clue where it's at, so these might not be as accurate):
    Sky-Caeli
    Land-Terram
    Guardian-Custos
    Floating-Natantes
    After life-Post Vitam (2 words because it wouldn't translate afterlife)
    Other side-Aversum
    Hope this helps a little!

1 person likes this.
  4. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I agree with Tristan. But I will add to it by saying you can take two or three Latin names and cut them up and make a new word out of them. That way it still has real world meaning if you ever want/need to explain what it means to someone. But it will sound completely original. That is what I would personally do for the island and the master/servant scenario if I couldn't think of anything.

As far as the invisibility; I would personally go with both. It is always good leave yourself options.

5. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

What about "Charge" for the person that the Guardian watches? The guardian might say to another guardian, "My Charge has been getting into all sorts of trouble lately." Okay, stupid example but it gives you a feel for how it sounds when they talk about the person they are watching over.

Another word that has a similar thought as Charge is Ward. Or Protege.

Oh and I like the term Guardian.

6. terrwyn

terrwyn New Member

I've thought about using the word "Bond." The Guardian can read their bond's mind and speak to them that way as well. Also, they can sense wherever their bond is located or if they are in danger. For example, if a Guardian says "This is my bond." it fits in my opinion.

I think I'm going to go for both the invisible/visible idea. The Guardians are linked to the peoples religion. Some do not believe in the "floating lands" or Guardians, and some do. But the only proof they have is faith itself and when they finally see their Guardian. The majority who can currently see their Guardians do not discuss it with others. I'm going to go ahead and give the Guardians ability to appear as "normal people" and also be invisible to all but their "bonds."

Guardians do not die. They stay with their assigned bond until that person has passed on. They then both go to the floating islands and the Guardian's task is complete. Tristan, those words you gave are very helpful. I might be using some of them. I'm shooting to make my book more of fantasy fiction than medieval. The country is ruled by a king who has a daughter, the princess, but that's as far as that goes, other than transportation being horses or other animals.

Also, Jhunter, your idea to combine some of the words is helpful as well. I may do that too.

Thanks Amy, I'll consider those words also.

Thanks all of you for your ideas. :) It really helped me sort out everything and all of you gave great ideas. If you have any more suggestions or comments, feel free to let me know. Thanks again. :D

1 person likes this.
  7. Gfire

Gfire New Member

When reading I thought of the word "client" for the people the Guardians were protecting. It sort of fits, although it feels a little business-like.