guilty reading pleasure

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diamonds overun, Jun 11, 2009.

1. burned_out

burned_out New Member

You know, I meant that toward people who think they are too "old" to read the series, or are too "sophisticated" or have "better things to do". I know quite a few teachers that say the same thing, just because of the hype it created among us high schoolers. We're hormone-riddled chicks, we're allowed to be excited about things!

You're right, age doesn't determine quality, but some people think so.

I agree with you when you say that the people who don't like Twilight can say their opinions in the right place without putting those down who enjoy it.

2. Paki-Writing

Paki-Writing New Member

diary

I thought someone would have said "my sister's personal diary." I haven't done anything of the sort. But that would be a guilty pleasure.

3. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

::looks down at signature link::

Yeah, I gave Twilight a pretty brutal review. I just don't understand how she managed to expand such little plot substance into nearly five hundred pages.

And...I don't know. Age really has nothing to do with it at this point, because just as many adults are reading it now. I've heard grandmothers gushing about how much they loved the series.

No! Bad Mal, bad! No more elitist ranting! ::smacks forehead::

4. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

*Looks around sheepishly*

I confess I still sometimes flip through “choose your own adventure” type books.

Anyway my two cents on the explanation behind the inexplicable popularity of Twilight. One word. Obsession. More specifically the type of obsession that characterizes a lot of teenage relationships, and is incidentally is why they don’t last all that long. Obsession like that has the life expectancy of a cute and adorable bunny standing transfixed in the headlights of an oncoming truck. Ker-Splat!
    …. Anyway Meyer understands obsession, she has distilled it, carefully removing all the angst and heartbreak that comes afterwards, and has then preceded spread thickly over each and every page. Creating a confection – and this exactly what the series is; tastes nice, isn’t any good for you – that is irresistible to lovesick or slightly superficial teen/ tweenaged girls the world over.

What brought this rant on. My sister has started reading them.

5. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

Okay I'll admit it...Harlequin, Mills & Boons and Silhoutte....my parents' would have a cow if they ever saw the cover of any of those books. But there's nothing wrong in them. Though scenes can be embarrassing but I usually skip that part and the stories are deliciously wonderful!

I love happily ever afters.

Though I'm not sure I'm legal enough to read those books.

1 person likes this.
  6. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Speaking of romance novels, I've read some laughable analogies for bedroom behavior in many of them.

I remember there was one that compared a man to a boat in a violent ocean.

tee-hee