Gun control results in Australia

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Felipe, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

Oh please. Now you're just being ridiculous.

Ya think? Try taking them up now and see who is being ridiculous.

So yes, society as it exists today can and does go on without guns.

As Jhunter said, there but not here. There are so many guns here now that if you tried to disarm the honest citizens you'd have a real battle going on. There's no way to disarm the police as so many criminals have guns. This is not the UK or New Zealand as has been said, our culture is vastly different, perhaps more violent, so be it. Our police need guns to enforce the law here.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I will admit, the need for UK police to carry guns is debatable. But considering just how easy it is to gain access to pretty impressive weaponry here in the UK I know which side I'm on. I think the police should at least have a special firearms unit, which they do have already. Not that accidents do not, or will not happen, and the system is not perfect; but 'perfect' is such a silly word. The problem is not the tools, but the people. The fact that things like guns exist is maybe regrettable, but it wouldn't exactly make everything better if they went away. Like it or not: firearms (like the nuclear bomb) are here. And for now we just have to live with them.

I'm not saying that the human race is abhorrent, just not perfect. Humans kill - it's in our nature as a member of the animal kingdom. We should account for this and accept our limitations as a speices, and that accidents will happen. To think and act otherwise is utter madness.

1 person likes this.
  3. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

Like it or not: firearms (like the nuclear bomb) are here. And for now we just have to live with them.

Exactly, people killed each other for thousands of years before we had guns and will go on doing so. Given the choice between a bullet, blade or club, I'd much rather be shot. There are places in this town you would not want to even break down, let alone stroll through. In America, arming yourself is a rational thought.

Humans kill - it's in our nature as a member of the animal kingdom. We should account for this and accept our limitations as a speices, and that accidents will happen. To think and act otherwise is utter madness.

Very well put.

4. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

I like it how this thread started off with Felipe trying to use statistics in Australia to further his gun arguement, but when we use New Zealand Oh Lordy that's a different ball game. Also, it started off with Felipe saying we need guns now his arguement's changed into THERE HERE FOR GOOD, DEAL WITH IT!

Also felipe your ideas on what is a criminal and what isn't are beyond logic.

5. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

The discussion of New Zealand isn't the same as the Australian one.

We are talking about police being armed--not citizens.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I like to think I've been fairly consistent throughout this thread. But then again I am a filthy Liberal, and what do I know. :p

7. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

I was just commenting on the irony that some off shore international examples are fine but some aren't.

8. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Hey man, don't you worry your fluffy little butt, I wasn't directing anything at you.

9. arron89

arron89 Banned

I guess I agree with this. It just makes me sad that your "rational" response is to give guns to more people and hope the problems fix themselves.

10. Jhunter

Your faceeeeeeeeeeeeee is ironic. :p

[​IMG]

Oh Knowz, Neo says we should make air illegal too.

11. Jhunter

I guess the rational thing to do would be to make every tool that has ever been used to kill someone illegal.

That way we can really build houses and cut lumber with our hands.

Learning to cook or heat a house without fire or gas is going to be a challenge though.

12. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

[​IMG]

13. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

What?

14. Jhunter

Gas, fire, saws and other various tools that we use to build things have been used to murder people.

15. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Yeah but the difference between guns and other tools is that's all a gun does...

16. Jhunter

...is highly dependent on the user. Just like any old object in this world.

17. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

But that's it's only purpose.

18. Jhunter

That is far from its only purpose.

Police and normal citizens alike use it in numerous ways that do not require shooting it.

Just like normal citizens use it for hunting and gathering; which is also a method not used to shoot people.

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson

Oh Thomas, why you so smart?

19. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

How many normal citizens need it for hunting and "gathering" though?

And what numerous ways do police and citizens use it? Besides killing and threatening to kill.

20. Jhunter

In rural America? A lot. People be poor yoh; middle class is slowly disappearing in America. But that is a topic all on its own.

Even a lot of people in concrete jungles have family traditions of hunting as well.

But, that is beside the point. Many people (including police) use it as a scare tactic to defend themselves without ever actually having to pull the trigger. That is not to say the trigger doesn't ever get pulled though. Just saying that guns have other purposes than killing humans. It all depends on the user. Just like every other murder object out there.

21. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Are all normal citizens rural? Okay, so the numerous ways they use it are to kill and to threaten to kill? The possiblities are endless!

22. Jhunter

You glossed over this part:

Even a lot of people in concrete jungles have family traditions of hunting as well.

Here is a list of some of the possibilities my narrow-minded friend. The whole article is pretty spot on.

http://www.gunlaws.com/noble.htm

23. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

It seems a rather poor excuse to own a firearm just because papa liked to shoot deer.

No U.

Protecting your family in emergencies. AKA: Shooting or threatening to shoot.
    Personal safety and self defense. AKA: Shooting or threatening to shoot.
    Preventing and deterring crimes. AKA: Shooting or threatening to shoot.
    Detaining criminals for arrest. AKA: Shooting or threatening to shoot.
    Guarding our national borders. AKA: Shooting or threatening to shoot.
    Preserving our interests abroad. AKA: Shooting or threatening to shoot.
    Helping defend our allies. AKA: Shooting or threatening to shoot, our allies enemies.
    Overcoming tyranny. AKA: Shooting or threatening to shoot politicians.
    International trade. What?
    Emergency preparedness. AKA: being amply perpared for: Shooting or threatening to shoot.
    Commerce and employment. What?
    Historical preservation and study... What?
    Obtaining food by hunting. Shooting animals.
    Olympic competition. Shooting well.
    Collecting. <--- Lol
    Sporting pursuits. See Hunting and olympics
    Target practice . See sporting pursuits.
    Recreational shooting. See hunting and target practice.

WOW!

24. Jhunter

It is funny that the whole time you advocate that guns only have one purpose. Yet when you are presented with a list of many different uses all you can say is, "WOW!"

Which is fine, I understand that you are ignorant of the ways of America. So it is understandable that you need to resort to such a useless and childish response when presented with logic. :p HooHooHoo :p

Also, it does not matter how you cut up that list. It is still more than one use for a gun.

Which means:

u B roNg bRoDawG

Though, your:

Did in fact make me "lol," while reading your reply.

Except now it is not papa that likes to shoot animals; it is you. You know, tradition is passed on.

25. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

It appears my glorious sarcasm has fallen upen deaf ears, or bad eyes... or... yeah.

Lol, you can call that logic if you want but I asked for different uses and you gave me this drivel, and all these uses either involve shooting or threatening to shoot at different things, which we both agree are it's uses, or are so stupid they might of reduced the sanity of your arguement. Like "collecting" that's not a use for a gun, you don't put "collectable" under uses for things, but I'm sure you know that you were just desperate.

I know what tradition is, I was just making a comment on how ridiculous it is... Dawg! I'm sorry you were talking street and I had to join it. Bro!