1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

H.P. Lovecraft

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Marcelo, Dec 9, 2008.

I've been hearing about this guy for quite a while now, I've heard that he writes sci-fi, horror and fantasy and something about a Cthulhu. If I planned to read his works, where do you recommend I start? And more importantly, why? Thanks in advance! :D

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Why don't you just find a book with a collection of his stuff?
    One like mine.
    Mine is:
    The Best of H.P. Lovecraft

You really need to read all of his stories to find the one you love the most.
    Its like Edgar Allan Poe, you really need to read everyone to make a decisions on, which one you like.
    You ask why:
    "There is nothing more absurd, as I view it, than that conventional association of the homely and the wholesome which seems to pervade the psychology of the multitude"-In the Vault[a story of his] by H.P. Lovecraft

3. The Absurd Dimension

The Absurd Dimension New Member

Lovecraft: If you've read one of this stories then you've read him all. He's good for a little while then you'll hit the seventh or eighth story and it will be so predicatable.

4. de la vega

de la vega New Member

I disagree entirely, actually.

Lovecraft is one of my favorite authors. He writes the most fascinating horror stories. Like Leaka said, start with a collection of his short stories. I have three of them. My favorite is The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Stories.

So far I have a few stories I like more than others, but I haven't finished reading all of his work. I'm especially fond of his macabre work. He was quite prolific, and his writing is very haunting. You'll be able to tell immediately that he was heavily influenced by E.A. Poe, something he was never hesitant to admit.

5. Corpsetastic

Corpsetastic Active Member

I'm actually reading 'At the Mountains of Madness' at the moment, it's pretty good as of yet!

6. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I disagree completely.
    If you think you can predict his work, then you must not be reading it correctly.

7. Hetroclite

Hetroclite New Member

Start with any of his anthologies. I also started with The Best of HP Lovecraft then went on to collect all of his works. Go to used bookstores & search the horror sections. You can get an armload for under $10. There are also many of his works created thru collaborations with other authors such as August Dereleth & Hazel Heald. You'll love his works. He creates a whole different history of the universe, in which to fit his stories, which is absolutely astounding. To this day he has many fans which constantly analyze this.

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I know this is late, but it must be said.
    I am a H.P. Lovecraft FANATIC!
    The man was an absolute genius, his writing style is simply mind-blowing!
    It is both so archaic and novel at the same time, and his whole fictional grimore is something so well thought out I often find myself half-believing it.

The Necronomicon (The collection - not the abhorred 'Simon Necronomicon' who some claim is an actual dangerous book where others think is a load of rubbish) is the best place to start for getting into Lovecraft (Despite the hefty price) and it is a fine addition to any Lovecraft fans collection with it's illustrations, details and the short biography at the end.

Truly a great work!

Ia! H.P. Lovecraft!

(I can get a little OTT with topics like this)

9. JMoore1982

JMoore1982 New Member

Yes, I love HPL. I even have some plush Cthulhu, Shoggoth, etc dolls in my music room. His writings have changed my life, inspired me to dig deep into the pulps to find other great writers (most of them friends of his) like Clark Ashton Smith, etc.

Barnes and Noble had a Complete Collection for around $20. You can actually read a few of his stories online: http://http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600031h.html

I believe most of his stories are public domain, so don't feel guilty! That's why there are so many different collections of his stories.