1. Shadowstar

Shadowstar Member

Foster Care/Adoption?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Shadowstar, Sep 24, 2011.

Can someone explain to me a little bit about how foster care and adoption works?

One of my characters is in foster care then is adopted which causes her to meet someone with special powers like hers, the story goes on from there. The thing is, I really don't know how foster care or adoption works and I don't want to write something that makes no sense.

Also, sorry if I put this in the wrong place.

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

If you do a search on google for 'foster care -your country-' there's a lot of info around the internet...
    I know in UK, if the person doesn't have any other family to take them in, another family can take them in until they're an adult and can move out.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, you need to do your own research on this, based on where and when it's taking place... google is your best friend!

4. emmams

emmams New Member

I agree with the research part. One important thing to keep in mind is that usually if the child is older, they start out as foster children in a family and then get adopted by that family when a relationship forms. It's a little suspicious when a child, that's not a baby or a toddler, gets adopted right away by a family they've never met. Sometimes children are put into foster care temporarily, while a parent gets their act together.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

You could also find the social services office in the area where this takes place and either give them a call or email them. Most places are more than happy to share information.

6. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

I agree with research on your own,
    but if someone is just glancing at sights,
    this one I think I looked at for information is Adoptuskids.org

If anyone even thinks of adopting(real not just research) this sight has alot of information.
    It also lets you read about the kids. (quick search 127 kids from 1-12 in Ohio)

ah man, this thread got me looking again.
    (Btw I figured out I wanted a new wife, rather then wanting another child. If considering adoption, know why you are concidering it.)