1. Trezzy_Sometimes

Trezzy_Sometimes New Member

Had a plot, realised it didn't work, need a new one.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Trezzy_Sometimes, May 3, 2010.

Hello there forum users.
    Hopefully I can get some assistance in creating a better plot for this novella I intend to write. I had a plot that I liked, but realised it wasn't much of a plot. I want to write a psychological thriller. I am deeply enthusiastic about this idea, and I love my characters. But like I said, I just looked it over and thought about it, and realised it wasn't a sufficient plot.
    It went something like this: Humble, easily-manipulated guy, Aarian, meets a couple at a local nightclub. Over time he develops a sincere friendship with them, especially the boyfriend, Vin. Vin and his girlfriend tell Aarian that they've been evicted from their apartment because they can't pay their rent. Aarian offers to let them stay with him for as long as they need. Upon their moving in, they fail to conceal the fact that Vin uses heroin. Up to that point, I liked the idea. But then, I had written in the plot outline that after experiencing severe stress over seeing a friend of his dead girlfriend, Aarian goes home and has a nervous breakdown, only to be offered heroin from Vin. He tries it, and from then on, starts seeing gruesome hallucinations (unrelated to the heroin, a manifestation of his stress over living with a drug addict and not having had time to cope with the death of his girlfriend), can't deceifer dream from reality, etc. Vin ultimately overdoses, and then I had this STUPID twist ending written in the plot outline, where Aarian wakes up to see his girlfriend, to find out that she is alive and none of it had ever happened. I know that is weak and completely lame. Uugghh. I just really don't know what to do. I need some help creating a strong plot, while keeping the theme of heroin abuse, and the psychological thriller genre. I would love to hear some suggestions as to how I could create a stronger, more solid plot. Thank you!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Plots and storylines (and no, they are not the same thing), should come from the writer, not a committee.

If you want to intensify a plot, increase the motivation and/or the opposition. If you don't know what I mean by these terms, read What is Plot Creation and Development?

3. Argetlam762

Argetlam762 New Member

A plot is something you need to come up on your own with, anyone can snowball ideas with you, but ultimately it should be your ideas.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

exactly!... if you want to be a writer, then BE a writer...

5. Trezzy_Sometimes

Trezzy_Sometimes New Member

I think people may have slightly misunderstood what I was asking.
    I was not asking for plot ideas or suggestions as to what I should include in the plot. I was asking for a strategy with which to strengthen a plot. I found help with what I was looking for in the link Cogito provided, and have since created a new plot on my own, which was what I inteded to do in the first place. I appreciate everyone's replies.

6. Laos

Laos New Member

When i build a plot. I take three ideas, themes, or values i cherish, or can relate to, and use those to structure and build something from within it.

This depends on the work of literature. If its a thriller or more fluid plot that doesn't involve tedious developments (Which is something i prefer) then you may see it better to try another method and center on a single character.

7. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

Hi,
    I think everybody goes through that phase when they have ideas that don't work. You will learn from it, and you will learn how to develop ideas that do work.

The only thing I would say to you is don't throw anything away that doesn't work. In the future you may be able to use ideas, situations or themes that didn't work then but could be incorporated into another work.