1. Sappho

Sappho Member

Had the motivation to start to write. The words are not forming

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Sappho, Nov 25, 2010.

Hi guys,

I took a long break away from writing.

Tonight I had the sudden urge to start writing again. I have the plot in my head, I know how it's going to pan out.

However the words are scrambled in my head and I can't get it out there. :mad:

Grrr, me thinks I should work on finishing some other stories I have put away. So I can get back into writing lol.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Just write even the jumbled stuff - eventually everything will come together.

3. jessed

jessed New Member

Try writing an outline of the major events. No speech or description, just a bullet-point outline. Then insert the minor events as sub-bullets. By the time you're done with that you'll probably have hit your stride. If not, break it into one small piece at a time using the outline to define the pieces.

4. Noya Desherbanté

Noya Desherbanté Senior Member

This happened to me a very short time ago. It's horrible - for so long you don't have the motivation, in my case, it was because I didn't think what I wrote was good enough. Then finally I get the urge to write, and what I write IS actually awful, thus validating my stormcloudy mood about it... :mad:

Unfortunately, the solution I found was to just plough through. Write little bits, and screw them up in frustration, but just practise. If you're like me, stay away from particularly beloved projects, ones that you don't want to sour in your mind, and maybe start a new 'practise' plot.

Listen to music, and get back into the cinematic way of thinking - I found I was concentrating too much on the writing part, and not the seeing: you have to be able to see what's going on to describe it well.

And, read over what you've written in the past that you're proud of. Deconstruct it, criticise it, and find the style of language and flow of words you feel is the best example of 'your voice'. Bad writers try to emulate the style of another - but if you try and emulate your own best writing, you can feel your way back into things and improve it.

Hope this helps, and good luck! It's a long, hard, frustrating path - don't forget, chocolate helps! :)

5. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

Plain and simple: get a pen, get some paper, and just start. It just gets easier from then on. No matter what, you're going to have to go back and edit, so you can make it as confusing and as messy as you want/need in order to just start!

6. Newfable

Newfable Senior Member

Try both of these.

I recently tried to take part in NaNoWriMo with a story idea I had been playing around with for some time. The words wouldn't come out! I thought about it, trying to figure out why, and realized that I didn't know who in the world my protagonist was, or what was at stake to create a conflict! I had to take a break from writing it to plan it out a little better.

Sometimes, even if it's not the actual story, it's best to just freewrite, to get the creativity flowing a bit more smoothly.

7. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Just write over and over "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy."

;)

-Frank