1. amorgan3

amorgan3 New Member

Haiku and Morae

Discussion in 'Research' started by amorgan3, Dec 9, 2009.

Hey all,

I was always under the impression that haiku were written in a 5-7-5 syllable format. It just recently came to my attention when I began to get into some English language haiku that this pattern clearly was not being followed. Now, I've done some searching on the definition of a mora, but despite all that I've read, I still can't seem to grasp the concept.

Does anyone know precisely how to measure a mora? It's really bothering me. =\

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

The explanation for why the structure isn't followed is far simpler than the one you're searching for (and certainly doesn't necessitate an advanced understanding of linguistics!). In Japanese, haiku, by definition, follow that pattern of 5-7-5 syllables. In translation, however, we are faced with the problem of deciding how best to convey the meaning of the poem. Some choose to value the form over the content, and retain the 5-7-5 format but may be forced to compromise the original meaning of the poem in doing so. Others may choose to deviate from the given structure in order to better communicate the content of the poem. For that reason, in languages other than the original Japanese, haiku often deviate from the formula. Since these versions have become popular in the non-Japanese world, many poets writing haiku in English (mistakenly) believe they need not adhere to the structure since the poems they've read do not. While it is forgivable to call an English translation of a haiku a haiku (even though it isn't, strictly speaking), a poem written in English that does not adhere to the 5-7-5 format is not technically a haiku.

Though amateur poets everywhere will try to convince you otherwise ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

Yeah I've always followed the course that if it doesn't adhere to the 5-7-5, it's not a haiku. That has been the standard formula, for who knows how long, by the Japanese.

4. amorgan3

amorgan3 New Member

I feel so much better now, haha. Thanks a lot, bro.

5. Kas

Kas New Member

I always thought the whole point of writing haikus in English would be the challenge imposed by restrictions. If you relax the rules, doesn't that just lessen the challenge and defeat the purpose? Like cheating at a game.

Sometimes it seems the writing industry is overrun by cheaters.

6. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

Actually, Japanese haiku aren't based on syllables. It's one count for every (C)V and two for every (C)VN.

I do agree that 5-7-5 is the appropriate syllable count for English haiku, although not the only requirement.

7. amorgan3

amorgan3 New Member

(C)V, (C)VN? Sorry, it's been awhile since I've dealt with literary abbreviations. Transitive/Intransitive?

8. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

Japanese syllables are either a vowel, a consonant and a vowel, or a consonant, a vowel, and an "m" "n" or "ng". V=vowel C=consonant "N"= m, n, or ng. () mean optional.