1. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Hair colour, clothes and things

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Daydream, Jun 19, 2011.

Ok so there are alot of female characters in the story im currently writing and I'm having abit of trouble describing certain things.

Firstly can someone please tell me what type of red her hair is?

[​IMG]

Secondly whoever has seen I Am Number Four could they please inform me abit about the clothes Six wears. Another good example would be what Uma Thurman wears in Kill Bill 1 and 2.

[​IMG]

Also her hair in this picture, would it be best described as wavy or? Also in the movie she has a greenish colour under her eyebrows. Not sure what it's called either. I'm truly terrible with clothes, makeup and the such, so hopping someone here can give me an idea :p

Also sorry for the massive pictures, but they're the only examples I could find.

2. Suadade

Suadade New Member

I don't know, just call it a "dark shade of red" or a "reddish shade of brown" or whatever. You know exactly what it looks like, describe it.

As for her clothes, I guess she's just wearing a black leather jacket and black jeans, a brown wifebeater and black fingerless leather gloves. You could flesh out the details yourself. What Uma Thurman wears in Kill Bill is more of a jumpsuit.

I would definitely describe the hair as wavy. As for the make-up, do you mean the name of the color or the name of the type of make-up? That would be eyeshadow, I guess.

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

As for the haircolor I would describe it as auburn. In the second question I didn't really understand what you meant. The hair I guess you could call it wavy but Im sure there would be a better word for it that doesn't come to my mind right now... :) it's something between curly and wavy IMO. as for the eyes, are you talking about eye-shadow? :)
    I'm really curious now to know what you are writing, when will we get an excerpt?? :p

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Your pics are too slow downloading for me, dongle playing up.

Do you really need to be so exact?

As to hair colour, why not be just say: auburn, red, carrot or mahogany.

Pics have stopped down loading and I've only got the top of their heads. So I'm wondering Suadade what is 'a brown wifebeater' was it a miss print?

Edit; just had another look at the limited section of hair I can see - it looks brown with red highlights.

5. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

IMHO, It's not so important to describe exact shades of colour, etc, because the reader will fill in the details. Being too precise can even get in the way of the reader's imagination.

Good descriptions are suggestive and convey the feel, the essence, of a person or place.

1 person likes this.
  6. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

I think if you've having that much trouble, you may want to go back to the drawing board and do some basic vocab enhancing excersises.

1.Auburn.
    Although apparently it is mis-used to mean dark red hair, and is a mixture of brunette and red.

Why not check out the whole wiki article on 'red hair'.

2. She has wavy hair. It is not natural, someone has spent a long time in the salon, or slept with plats in her hair. Real wavy hair is a lot more untamed.

3. Figure hugging leathers? Then just add the colour you want.

Good Luck, and get reading.

7. Domino

Domino Active Member

Wife-beater is American for vest/sleeveless top. :)

Daydream, maybe have a quick look through a lady's fashion catalogue/magazine and you'll see the names of specific items and make-up products. But I agree with Islander, don't worry too much about describing every last precise detail of your character's appearance. Sometimes it can be a bit boring to read an intricate list detailing what clothing the character's decided to wear that day.
    Good luck.

8. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Don't worry too much about describing exact details of appearance that aren't really essential to the story.

9. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Actually, a wife-beater is one of those tank top style undershirts or t-shirts. Never heard of it applied to vests or sleeveless shirts in general. A sleeveless shirt is different in design from a tank top, enough that the two won't be confused.

Hollywood popularized the name of the wife-beater. :confused:

10. Daydream

Thanks for the replies! I know they seemed like simple questions, but you have no idea how terrible I am when it comes to anything to do with fashion lol! I've definitely done alot of work on all my characters and I know exactly how I want them to look, I just had abit of trouble describing their appearances. Anyway the answers were exactly what I was looking for :) I had forgotten the name for eyeshadow...was racking my brains all day! Also what confused me about wife-beater and tank top, was that I always associated wife-beaters more with males and tank tops more with females.

Lastly I know you all wandering why I appearances are so important to me, It's because I'm writing a sci-fi novel that deals alot with genetic engineering. Perfection and the such. My main character for example will be genetically engineered. Cloning and DNA changes in humans also play a role. Dunno if anyone has heard about how DNA changes in humans can cause them to have psychic abilities.

11. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Males are usually terrible in fashion stuff - it's normal Daydream!

For instance, my wife spots everything in another woman's appearance where I don't see them until pointed at.... And it's contagious: my daughters have that too!

So I learned after yeaaars of marriage that women blouses have their buttons on the other side so it crosses over from R to L, whereas male shirts cross over from L to R. It seems worldwide, not just here in Europe (haven't checked tbh). Bet most boys don't know that, but most girls do.

12. Takana

Takana New Member

For the first picture, I would describe the hair colour as auburn or copper. I can't remember if Stephanie Meyer describes Bella's hair colour in the book, but I think it's just referred to as brown (although Kristen Stewart had her hair dyed specifically that colour for the film, and it's clearly not 'brown'). But that's how I would describe it.

In the second picture, I would say the girl is wearing a brown coloured tank top with a well fitted, black leather jacket.

Her hair is wavy, but it looks too neat to be a natural wave. It could also be described as 'beach' hair.

As for the 'greenish colour under her eyebrows', I can't see it in the pic you gave, nor am I familiar with the film, but my guess would be an eyebrow highlighter. The irridenscent shimmer may end up looking greenish under certain lights. Unless you mean her eyelids? That would then be a green coloured eyeshadow.

Hope this helps :)

Edit: Ignore my last paragraph, I see you meant eyeshadow. That will teach me to start a reply, go have dinner, then come back to finish. I didn't see the new posts!

13. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

As to the first pic, her hair would be considered dark auburn and I know that because it's the same color as mine ;) Further, if she's in direct sun it will most likely look like copper (just in case that comes up).

As to the rest... I think you've been answered pretty well.

14. Daydream

Lols, I do that quite often too. Thanks for the help though :)