1. Browser

Browser New Member

Saludos!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Browser, Dec 23, 2008.

Hello!

Add one more to the pot that is the Writing Forum and I hope to bring a new flavor to the brew. What that is I don’t yet know since I’m still very raw. So, let me simmer for a while. Having said that, allow me to introduce my self. I call me Browser, and so can you. The name isn’t thought provoking and sad to say unoriginal, but dare I say it suits me well, a symbol of my curious spirit and wanting literary exploration for knowledge and theologies; and on that note I browse the internet for website’s like this one to learn and be inspired.

I’ve been here a few days, browsing the forum and getting familiar, though I’ve not review anyone’s work or posted before today. I’m afraid I’m frighteningly shy and reserved, and only recently found the courage to seek help with my desired to write. Strange that I can be wordy and candid here but can’t tell my family my dirty little secret; for the sake of not turning this intro into a melancholy orgy of doubt and self pity, I’ll end with saying that I don’t have the confident to critic anyone’s work for I my self have countless doubts about my writing skills.

Instead what I seek, or hope to find here, is support and encouragement as well as a possible mentor. I seek to learn from someone who has actually been published and knows about the long and challenging road to being recognized as a writer. Aspiring to be a writer seems like an unreachable dream if I can’t surpass my timid nature and, more importantly, the doubt to be one. So, I dared to stir the pot and abstract from the amalgamation what little I can.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Browser, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

The question is, is it a crockpot? Or perhaps a burial urn? Or maybe it's a crucible, in which all the volatile and unstable components are baked away, leaving a shining molten alloy, ready to be cast into a finished oiece?

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Browser

Browser New Member

It can be a crockpot – slow cooker – but I like your metaphor of a crucible best for I think it best fits the purpose of the Writing Forums; a place where people are subject to forces that test them and hopefully make them change. Quite right, on the nail, sort of speak, to my purpose here.

This link isn't a valid link, it won't work for me.

Thanks for the welcome.

4. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Hey browser, welcome to the site. I tend to be really reserved as well, but I find writing on a forum to be a lot easier than talking in person.

Also Cog, he's right, that link isn't working.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It appears that thread was a casualty of the recent software problems on the site. Bummer.

6. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

Hey there, Browser. I haven't been around long myself, but I thought I'd welcome you to the forums anyway! I'm normally very timid as well, but I found through my lurking, that these forums are very supportive and constructive, so it's not hard to put yourself out there. You'll be welcomed with open arms.

Hope to see you around :)