1. lewisn1

lewisn1 Active Member

Hi i'm new and have question's

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lewisn1, Nov 12, 2006.

Hi my name is Lewis, i'm 16 in January, i live in England in Manchester.

Recently i have decided to write a fantasy story, since there the type books that interest me,
    now i haven't had much experiance in writing, only English lessons in School. But i do read alot of books, some of my favorite authors include: Raymond E.Feist, Christopher Paolini, J.K Rowling.

The book i'm writing is still in the planning stage, this is proberly my second month working on it, and it still looks like i haven't got anywhere with it.

Well up to now even i don't have any clue what's going to happen, all i know is i wan't the ending to end at a battle scene and the start to start off with the God's speaking.

Bit of detail about my story

Worlds Name:
    Asadia (but don't know if i will keep it)

Race's
    Humans
    Dwarfs
    Elves
    Kael Agar (dark elves)
    Tigermen (not got a name for them yet any suggestions are welcome)

i also was thinking of making a new race after seeing this picture, it inspired me, am talking about the pic not the lyrics ;)

http://www.angelfire.com/goth/kimmie01/bilingual.html

so i won't to make a race similar to how she looks, any help with a name?.

Basically that's all i have, but i have a list that i made with 107 fantasy names i liked, so am just going through them and choose names for characters and citys and stuff.

But i'm also creating Gods, but i was thinking of how can this god make this race, also i was thinking that maybe so many main gods and they created sub gods like one god for the sea, one for the havests, and stuff like that hope u understand.

What i wan't to know is, is it a good idea to start off with the God's and them creating the world, or is that giving everything away in one big gulp, or is it best to start of with the God's talking then the main character wakes up and later in the story he/she finds a object of some sort that ends up every now and then gives him powers and visions of the God's talking, basically to add fresh scenes?. :confused:

2. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

Wanna be my friend? lmao I LOOOOOVE Eragon and Harry Potter! Oh, by the way, welcome. :D

And your story has got pretty good names to it, and I'm in the process of writing my own fantasy novel since I was raised around that kind of stuff. You should search around in the other forums and see what kind of help you can get there.

3. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Well first off, I see that you have a very detailed world, but you seem to be having problems with the action in the story.

I think the first thing you need to figure out the ending is the goal. What goal is the god giving your main character, and who is the main character?

Is he a hero, or a lost prince? Why is he going to go on a quest? Does he want power, does he want the magic item, or does he want to help others? Who is he fighting against?

Once you have some idea who your characters are, and what they want to do, you won't have to "add scenes" because every scene will be part of the story. You see?

We can always go to the plot creation forum, and discuss this more there.

4. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Guten tag fellow newbie,

I welcome you on behalf of every single individual that actively uses this forum.

*extends cyber hug*

Post script: Your ideas seem wild.

5. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Howdy and welcome!!!!

I wish I had the brain to write fantasy..my thinking is much to linear LOL..but i do love to read it!

Good luck and I believe the pic u posted..looked very similar to a character in WoW called a succubus LOL

Look forward to seeing your writing!

6. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Hi Lewis and welcome.

I think first off, no matter what genre you are writing always cut out any unnecessaries. Even epics like War & Peace, despite its length, is still just a basic story. So keep your idea simple regardless of length.

Secondly, ask yourself and be brutally honest - do you really need a massive list of characters within your story concerning the plot (I'm assuming you have already constructed some baring of a plot)? The Lord of the Rings concerned itself with only a small number of central characters (the others were merely supporting) to tell the story despite the large cast. If you find that a lot are not needed then I think you're sacrificing story for fireworks - impressive characters are all well and good but if they're not integral to the story in itself then they're not needed...get rid of them otherwise it will only waste your time and efforts.

I don't want to sound like I'm stomping on your idea but your approach is the same as what a lot of us here have probably made when we first started out - and that is trying to write a story without the most important and central ingredient.
    Can you guess what that is?

It's obvious...it's an idea. You have character names and a name of a world that you want your story to take place. But what exactly is your story about?

7. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

welcome, I look forward to reading your material. I'm not much of fantasy reader/writer so I won't be much help there, all I can say is make it as fun to read as you can. If you're good at writing humor, mix a bit of that ingredient into your book.

8. lewisn1

lewisn1 Active Member

Thanks for all the replies, Max Vantage can u define central characters for me does king/queen of each race count?? because thats all i have been doing and names of there city and citys in the story and main character

9. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

The central character is the protagonist - the main charatcer that the story surrounds itself around.

Star Wars - Like Skywalker.
    The Silence of the Lambs - Clarice Starling.
    JFK - Jim Garrison.
    The Fugitive - Dr. Richard Kimble.
    Die Hard - John McClane.
    Minority Report - Tom Anderton.
    Scarface - Tony Montana.

I'm not expecting you to have seen them all, but it doesn't really matter. WHat does matter; and which is most crucial, is understanding what a central character is and what makes one.

A central character is a person in your story that has the greatest need. In the end of the story it doesn't matter whether they have succeeded their 'mission' or not.

Example:
    In Star Wars Luke Skywalker is central because his need is the greatest - to bring freedom and hope throughout the galaxy from the empire. It's not Han Solo because his need is simply money and Leia. Not much cop there. It's not Obi Wan because his need is to educate Luke and prepare him to go against the empire as he knows Luke is the only one capable. etc.

Silence of the Lambs.
    CLarice is obviosuly central here because her main need it to crack the case to free an abductee of Buffalo Bill with the help of another psychopath in order to win advancement at the police acadmey to not only to herself proud but to exorcise her demons concerning her father (although the latter is not really main).

JFK.
    Jim Garrison is obsessed with bringing a case against the only probable suspect in the assassination of JFK. He feels like he's surrounded by injustice everywhere and, despite his self-doubt and the doubt of others around him, he rages on.

The Fugitive.
    And this is one of the mst basic I have ever seen. Richard's one and only need is to prove his innocence by finding those responsible for framing him for the murder of his wife.

I think you get the idea.

What is your story about? Who is your central character? Why is he/she your central character?

You'll know that answer when you find out which character has the greatest need and what that need is. The story will then flow around that basic idea from start to finish.

Keep it simple.