1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thirdwind, Oct 9, 2009.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

I feel he doesn't deserve it at this point since he was only sworn into office less than a year ago. He really hasn't had the time to cause any real change. On top of that, he has only made an effort for peace, but he hasn't actually accomplished anything significant that warrants a Nobel.

On a side note, Herta Mueller won the Nobel for Literature if that means anything to anyone.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I see this as a beauty contest this year. It's a "He's not Bush" award, and an approval of Obama's gestures to reach out to the world.

It isn't about achievment as much as it's about direction. And it is about politics. Shocking, that an international award has a political agenda.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think there is something to be said for recognizing and attempting to reinforce direction.

History has proven that we are a very side-trackable species.

4. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Kinda makes the Nobel worthless. Perhaps Obama may do something in the future to warrant it, but hasn’t thus far.

5. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Maybe they know something we don't? Smoke and mirrors...

6. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I should have won it. I've been nothing but peaceful...

7. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I think that any president should not be eligible for that kind of award until they are out of office.

The information I got off wikipedia says

According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

I think the Nobel should go to someone who is doing it from passion, not because it is their job.

8. Cogito

He is the third sitting President to receive the award. The others were Woodrow Wilson and Theodore Roosevelt. Jimmy Carter also received one, but after he left office.

9. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Best post so far...:)

A momentous time for Barak, finally some affirmative action in this year's pick, haha.

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I second Lavarian's nomination for the Nobel Peace Price in 2010! LOL

On a more serious side, I believe such an award should go to someone like mammamaia for her desire to turn Tinian Island into the world's peace center. For those who don't know, Tinian Island is the launching place for the atomic bombs dropped on Japan in World War II. I think mammamaia's location choice for world peace is particularly apropos.

As far as the Nobel "Peace" Prize, Obama is a joke. The Nobel organization has finally become the world's biggest comedy club. Obama increased soldiers in Afghanistan, failed to keep his promise to remove troops from Iraq and Guantanamo Bay is still open. In addition, his empty rhetoric has failed to slow North Korea or Iran's nuclear bomb development and his pork-barrel presidency is throwing money at all his friends while failing to address the 17% unemployment and underemployment in this country. He surrounds himself with "Czars" who are unelected, not vetted and hold frightening powers without ANY accountability to congress or the people. Hmmm...I guess that qualifies him as a leader in "peace".

1 person likes this.
  11. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Obama has good intentions, but then again --so do I.

Maybe his speechwriter should have won; all Mr Obama has done so far is spout (arguably) good ideas and made them public.

12. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

At best, I find this premature for many of the reasons NaCl listed. So far, I'm not seeing the change I was hoping for.

13. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

But if they didn't have that passion, why would they take on the job the first place?

They must know something we don't. I know he's done good stuff, but has it really been enough? Or have other people been just that crappy?

14. IgneousFeline

IgneousFeline New Member

I would like to think that this was a premature action, so I would like to see that his future actions will prove the prize rightfully given.

It is true that he hasn't done everything he promised but he was just recently elected. He hasn't had the time to solve all the problems currently facing this country and wider international issues. That being said, I don't think that his recent election can or should be used as an excuse so there is action that needs to be taken.

15. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

why would they take the job to become president?

fame, money, power....conspiracy (Hahaha you never know) the list goes on.

Just because a person wins an election to become president doesn't mean that he or she is passionate about world peace.

If they are, then great!
    Then re-elect them next time around.....don't give them an award because they are doing something they get paid for.

Just my humble opinion though.

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

before any of you pan the award or its recipient any further, you need to read the statement by the nobel committee, as to why they made the award... it wasn't about achievement, or politics, or anything other than what i can agree was a good reason for them to give it to pres. obama...

17. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

The problem is that Obama's words and actions are contrary. He's a slick talker.

18. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

If I am correct, the Nobel Prize nominations are due on February 1st. That would mean the nomination of Obama was based on the first few weeks of his presidency, correct?

He did that much in several weeks to be awarded consideration for the award?

Although I don't usually agree with former President Jimmy Carter's politics, I think he did far more to bring peace (ie Egypt and Israel) while serving as president of the USA. That, was concrete action/results and not vague promises and aspiring goals. He did not earn his Nobel Award until two or so decades later.

President Obama was used by the Nobel Prize Committee in an effort to further their political vision. Maybe both benefit in some way from the action.

Or quite possibly one is cheated, by not actually having been given the chance to earn the peace prize, and the other has lessened the value of the prize by the action of awarding it as a political statement rather than as an award earned by someone that has dedicated themselves to bringing peace and actually followed through. If such is the case, one receives an award which will leave many questioning exactly what he did to earn it, and the other has diminished the importance and recognition those future recipients should (or would have) otherwise received.

I wouldn't blame President Obama on this one. He didn't lobby for the award, and receiving it puts him in a no win situation. He did some of what he could. He is donating the monitary award to charity, but he cannot really decline the award as that would have consequences.

I think that in a way giving the award to him at this early stage in his presidency may be an effort to influence or pressure President Obama into actions and decisions that he might not have otherwise made when confronted with world issues and diplomatic concerns.

Just my two cents.

Terry

19. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

good point, I like our new president alot (he is soooo much better than bush:)) but we should not worship him, we have a tendency of worshipping people...ahem

[​IMG]

lets not shower him with gold because he is so charming, lets not forget after all that hes just another government employee when you get down to it, and a politician:eek:

until the day I die I will be suspicious of all politicians:cool:

I disagree that he contradicts himself, but he is a "slick" talker

he said he wanted to close guantanamo, congress sat on their butts

he said he wants a public alternative to health care, congress sat on their butts...and the right wing arranged a coup

he said he wants to fix the wrecked economy and pushed for a bailout that was bush's idea btw...and the right wing attacked him (even though the economy is a little better)

far from being a contradiction he seems to honor his word, its just that congress is full of wimps and cowards and that some people will hate him no matter what he does

remember the birthers? come on, get a life

20. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I don't think he deserved it, but, still, he has done a lot. Reversing the policies of Bush is an incredible step towards avoiding a war, and we'll not know how many American soldiers and civilians won't be killed by a jihadist, recruited only because of the appaling breaches of human rights in Guantanamo Bay. He has even managed Iran to talk with major world powers, and to be more co-operative. Their statement that they supported the award if he abandoned the warmongering policies of other presidents would have been another example of Iranian sarcasm a few weeks ago.

Yes, he has increased troop numbers in Afghanistan - that's the only way to defeat the Taliban, by stopping them from moving. That would allow reconstruction work, which would prove that the invaders are there to stay, and also take support from the Taliban (which has increased from 3% to 25%). It doesn't mean more casualties; it means that the Taliban won't be able to do what they want (the significant attacks on US forces have been in areas that the coalition thinks are 'safe').

He's stopped Russia threatening eastern Europe with nuclear missiles, has not interfered in Burma, has not defended Israel's war crimes, and has been far more successful with Iran than other leaders.

Anyway, remember that Bush started a war of conquest that has killed almost a million people, and he knew that what he said was false (against anti-war protests that were larger than those against the West's involvement in World War II), sponsored a pathetic excuse for a concentration camp that was one of the worst human rights breaches the western world has ever seen where thousands of people (many of them probably innocent; no trial and no defence, and forced to confess) were tortured and killed, and completed America's transition from the hero in the battle against Communism to the fat guy who pushes his way into a queue.

Many of the problems the world faces, from an increase in terrorism to violence in European countries over Iraq and Afghanistan, are the result of his arrogance, and anyone who does anything about them is at least eligible for such an award.

21. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

It's like rewarding an Oscar to an actor before they've even finished the movie. A stupid decision imo.

22. Cogito

I won't go so far as to call it stupid. Instead, I would call it politically motivated, and intended to convey the kinds of policies they want Obama to adhere to. It places more pressure on him to not waver from that agenda.

23. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

In any case I doubht it will make much difference imo.

24. Cogito

No. Mostly it'a gesture against the Bush policies. You know the gesture: raised fist with middle finger extended skyward.

And I'm not saying that the Bush policies were all wrong, either, only that they were extremely unpopular.

25. Kio

Kio New Member

I'd say it's a bit premature to make such a decision, but, as Cogito said, it may motivate him to work harder. I remember getting an award for my hard work at school and I couldn't help but think that I should work harder the next year. It's encouraging, to earn an award.

I'm not American, but I root for Obama to succeed. He seems genuine enough, no matter how much of a "slick" talker he may be. :)