1. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Exams

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Heather Louise, Oct 20, 2007.

i hate them soooooo much. i mean, for exmaple, we have taken a practice Science exam (we are taking the proper one in a month) and on a lower paper i got a D. however, he is making me take the higher paper, which i am gunns end up failing.

also, to pass RE i only need 12 marks for a G, which counts as a pass. finger's crossed for that one :p

what sort of GSCE's and degree's amd stuff has everyone here got then??

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I can remeber 2 years ago when I was doing GCSEs and I was **** scared of them.
    But I did my normal thing not worked at all and walked out with a cool 6 A-C passes :p

The moral of the tale?

Don't be too worred! The mock GCSEs are always harder than the real thing!
    I missed out half of the English paper and didn't hand in any coursework and got a B!
    Mind you, that still don't mean do exactly what I did and study, it really pays off.

I also have a AS level in English and going an IT Deploma right now.

3. Heather Louise

cool for you. :D and i have a problem which is i refuse to study outside of school. it is boring and i find that if i cram too much inot my mind,, i forget it all the next morning, and i tend to forget everything, not just the bits i learned last night. so i don't tend to revise much, which i should really do.

and i have been told than i should be going for A's or B's in everything!! and i am taking about 14 exams. :(

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Yeh, I had that problem too.
    Not being able to study outside school (rarely studied inside school either... or showed up for lessions toward the end of it.)
    Can't give any advice there sorry :(
    Like I said, I didn't study.

But As and Bs in everything? Jesus!

5. Frost

Frost Active Member

A's and B's is unrealistic. Don't kill yourself to get there. Just do the best you can without exhausting yourself. Do what works for you, and don't stress.

I've only got three exams this year (grade 10 is pretty minor). I've only done half the year but Im quite sure Ill pass all three, maybe get a B or something. Why? Well, English is self-explanatory, Maths is all logic, so as long as you've got your cheat sheet your set, and science is stupendously simple at this level. No stress man.

6. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I have my uni enterance exams very soon, honestly I feel sick in the stomach at the mere concept of sitting them, but nevertheless I will do them - just so I can say 'at least I had a go'.

I was talking to my doctor a while ago about the exams and he told me that optimistic thinking and not stressing really is benefical to learning as much as you can. I forget the exact content of what he was trying to convey but from memory it basically goes like this : stress->blood circulation to brain to be reduced-> inhibits learning = me-don't-know-the-answers-to-exam-questions.

So yeah, I suppose this is a round about way of saying, if you want to absorb as much as you can in prep. for your exams, make sure you remain calm and do not panic, don't become apathetic, just don't panic.

7. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

A buddy of mine is getting his Civil Engineering degree. Apparently, just getting through all those tough classes isn't enough; if he doesn't maintain a B average or higher, he loses his scholarship. I'm glad I don't have to do that.

Not that my classes are hard. I have an AA degree, and I'm currently pursuing a certificate in Web Design. After that, I'm going to go for my bachelor's in Technology Management. Honestly, easiest thing I've ever done.

8. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I think the reason why you forget everything the next day is because you are cramming. You have to study for a few days for things to stick.Then it will stay with you for long term. Cram a couple hours before a test and you wont forget it, but over night you will forget it.

9. Heather Louise

exactly what i thought.

anf thanks for the advice WordWizard, i might try that if i ever get round to it. i should really do it for Science if nothing else. although, i am buzzing me, my Art teacher said i was getting A* in that. :D :p

10. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure if this will help you at all Heather, but statistically it is actually easier to get a C on a higher paper than a lower paper at GCSE. Our teachers entered all of our D/C candidates for the higher paper for that reason.

I have 12 A - C grades at GCSE and 4 AS levels :)

11. Heather Louise

thanks for telling me that Kit, makes me feel a bit better. problem with that is though, although you need less points, the points are harder to get as the questions are harder. i dunnoo, just gunna have to go for it i guess and see what happens.

and 12 GCSE's are amazing Kit,, well done :D

12. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Well actually, there is a section that overlaps both papers. So they'll be the same questions. Statistically, if you get the same number right on that section (but on the higher paper) you score a higher grade than on the lower paper.

13. Heather Louise

oow cool. i didn't know that,, our science teacher seems as though he doesn't want us to understand. he called me thick the other day 'cos i wantd to do the foudatin paper instead. :p