1. Myers

Myers Member

Hallucanations?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Myers, Jan 19, 2009.

Last night I had a very odd experience.

I awoke around half five whilst in the middle of a dream where I was watching a film. It was during a "scene" where there were harmless looking dogs trotting through a field that I woke up. I rolled over on my side where I could see the rest of my room and saw something a few feet away from me.

I'm sure many of you have awoke to see a strange shape in your room which at first you think is possibly a person but as your eyes adjust you realise its just a chair or something. This was the opposite. As my eyes adjusted this black object turned in to a strange monkey/dog hybrid! I was awake at this point (although I'm not sure how awake) and I was just looking at it thinking 'What the hell? Am I still dreaming?' You may question how awake I was but I feel I must have been quite awake because I was thinking to myself "That's not real'. But it seemed very real. I could see every feature of its face as it kind of smiled at me.

So I jumped out of bed and ran the short distance to it and went to grab it and delivered two punches towards it. Two punches which struck in to the cupboard behind 'it', which slightly cut one of my fingers. At this point it was gone. I quickly switched my lamp on and returned to bed where I laughed at myself.

But... what was all that about?! It was so real. Even as I went to grab it and was a mere foot away from where it was, I could see its face looking at me, despite the fact that I was obviously clearly awake now as I had jumped from my bed fists swinging!

Has anyone else ever experience anything like this? Being conscious of the fact that you're awake yet still seeing something that should be in a dream? I'm wondering whether this is classed as a hallucanation and I'm slightly worried that I may have something wrong with me.

The other month I awoke and saw a transparent crab climbing up the wall. I was knealt on my bed poking it/the wall it was on, completely aware I was awake and then it just vanished.

I'm also a slightly impressed however at my manly response to seeing something that confuses me and may be a new form of life - punch it!

2. Guybrush Threepwood

Guybrush Threepwood New Member

Hardcore.
    Yeah.
    When I'm driving at night, I'll always see these figures that appear on the side of the road just before I pass them. One time, I could have sworn I saw a woman in a flowy, white gown stepping out in front of me. Freakin' me out, man.

3. M9A8E6S4TO

M9A8E6S4TO New Member

I love your response to the situation. Haha. Here's some of mine, put into quotes for convenience.

Here's another. I didn't visualize anything, but I still consider it a form of hallucination.

Those last two can be chalked up to the fact that, while I may have been feeling awake, my brain could have simply been tricking me in some way or another. However, I've got one more, and it still doesn't make any sense to me. Here it is.

4. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Well, I've only had one experience like that, but it was auditory, happened three years ago, and nothing like it has ever happened since. I put it out of my mind most of the time simply because I'm unconcerned.

You've mentioned a few different times this has happened though, which could be something, could be nothing. The only experience I have with psychology is a class I took two years ago, so I couldn't and wont say anything about that. Do some research on your own and see if anything else rings true. If they continue, I hope I dont insult your intelligence by urging you to see a doctor. :p
    http://www.mental-health-matters.com/articles/article.php?artID=392 <-- This link has basic definitions of hallucinations, causes, etc, so perhaps you could start here.

The fact that you experienced this right after you woke, though, makes me wonder if you might have been in something called Sleep stage one. Some medications cause this (so ask yourself, are you on any new medications?). Sleep stage one is when you are still awake but you are 'legally' unconcious, meaning that you are not responsible for your actions. Many sleeping pills cause this...
    Perhaps it's not a hallucination at all but just a dream as you slip from sleep stage one to REM (or vice versa?).

Good luck figuring everything out!

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I suffer from frequent bouts of Sleep Paralysis. The phenomenon you mentioned is not unknown to me.

6. Myers

Myers Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Mercurial - No I'm not on any medication. But I did have a few drinks the night of the monkey/dog hybrid encounter. I'll check that website out.

Oh and Maestro that sounds quite spooky!

Now I think about it I can remember two other recent similar encounters but not as vivid as last nights. Once I had a nightmare about wasps (a recurring fear of mine in dreams) and I sat up in bed and watched a swarm of them fly off through the wall. Then another time I awoke and briefly saw a large beetle crawling along my bedside cabinet.

Why do I always see animals or insects? Why not Cheryl Cole or Elisha Cuthbert?!

7. Jack

Jack New Member

This may vary... there are approximately 7 billion people who are living on this lovely blue planet and everyone is unique. Although, the majority of 'dreams' may be caused by what you've seen on that very day or perhaps you were watching a movie of some sort (which you were). Based on your story, it’s a definite decision that you do not have Hallucinations (maybe) because I also frequently experience this Phenomenon. It doesn't necessarily mean that there is something wrong with you. I think it's just part of human nature.

8. The Bard of Wigan

The Bard of Wigan New Member

Hallucinations are certainly not uncommon or anything to be afraid of, depending what they are. If they are auditory command hallucinations telling you to harm yourself or others then there's a problem. If along with these you are having delusions then it could get tricky.

To be honest Myers what you experienced don't sound like halluciantions, sounds like you were still dreaming on waking.

9. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

The human mind is a wonderfully complex thing. I wouldn't be surprised at how real it must have felt.

10. HKB

HKB New Member

I can't believe you tried to punch it!?
    I had a few really weird hallucinations as a child. I was sleeping in on my parents floor, when I was five or six, and a figure, completely black and about two feet high stood. It was roughly rabbit-shaped, I remember, short stubby arms and a long head. It was looking around with it's head-thing but it never looked at me. It was there all night. I would be in utter terror trying not to move, trying not to look at it, and I would eventually fall asleep and wake up again a few hours later and it was still there. Repeat the whole night. At some point my mom was awake because my brother had wet the bed, and she was up dealing with that, so I wasn't asleep, I was fully awake, and she was unaware.
    Another incident, my parents were getting ready for a garage sale one night and I saw this green rabbit. It was just outlined in neon green, but see-through otherwise. It was eating on the patch of grass by our driveway. I was wide awake, and I was going in and out of the garage helping out, watching it for hours. No one saw it and I said nothing.
    These days when I hallucinate it's because I'm having a seizure. I never see figures anymore. I've learned to keep my eyes shut when I'm experiencing sleep paralysis so I don't see anything scary.