0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Both (depending on convenience, etc)

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. KJRid

KJRid New Member

Handwriting vs. Typing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by KJRid, Mar 8, 2016.

I sat down to write today. Usually I do all my work on a laptop, but recently I found myself stumped when looking at a blank Word page. I switched to writing in a notebook and felt that things came easier to me. Not that my writing goes to absolute crap when I type, but I find it easier to "zone in" on my work when writing with pen and paper.

The downside to this, of course, is the amount of work I could get done, in say, an hour. It remains to be seen whether the quality is better, but I can already see that quantity may be less.

What do we think? Pen and paper, or typing on a computer? A mix of both?

I'll attach a poll if I can figure out how. Apologies if this has been asked before, I wasn't able to find anything recent.

Cheers

2. Nicoel

Nicoel Contributing Member

I find typing on a computer is easier for me. I can type faster than I can think (coherently, anyway) so when I'm writing I prefer a laptop.

However. When it comes to planning and/or mapping, I prefer to use pen and aper for the exact same reason. It slows me down and makes me think exactly about what I'm writing and how it would work. Also, for some reason while I write it's nice to have my roadmap in front of me and tangible.

Now that I think about it, that's probably connected to the reason I suck as using Google Maps (unless they're telling me which direction to go) on my smartphone.

I think it just depends on how your mind works, and the amount of effort you're willing to put in (transcribing handwritten documents is a lot of work... Trust me. I transcribed an entire book for an older gentleman once..and fixed his grammar...).

BoddaGetta likes this.
  3. Myths

Myths Member

I personally find handwriting easier. I tend to get distracted when I make mistakes and can't continue if I don't fix them straight away, but I don't notice them when writing things with a pen. I find I can focus easily as well. I also use it as a first editing stage when I type out what I've written. I also find it easier to take my work where ever I go, as well as having that added piece of mind since I've had a few HDD's crash on me in the past.

Greenwood likes this.
  4. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

This is what I do. I devote the majority of planning, mapping out the story, and jotting down character traits to handwriting in a notebook. For actual prose I prefer a keyboard because I can type faster than I can write, and it makes the editing process easier and I can make more content at a faster pace. I typically print it out and note corrections by hand, then go back to the computer and add the edits.

So I do a hybrid, I guess.

Nicoel and Myths like this.
  5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I use both. I write better, generally, with a pen precisely because it slows me down and forces me to think about how to phrase each sentence. I write faster with a keyboard (as does everyone). Either way, I really enjoy the process. :)

Myths likes this.
  6. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Staff Supporter Contributor

If I'm not at home I write using pen and paper, though since I write as fast as possible my handwritten drafts are barely readable, grammatically incorrect and in general terribly written. :D

At home I almost exclusively write on my PC, though while it is faster (and results in higher quality) it doesn't feel as nice as shaping the words by hand.

7. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

I go through stages where I am more proficient at writing on my laptop (or my PC) or writing with pen and paper. I also find that my writer's block can sometimes be alleviated by switching how I am writing (either pc to pen or pen to pc). I always carry a pen and notebook with me whenever I am out of the house or even downstairs cooking dinner just in case any ideas pop into my head and I need to jot them down. Overall, I think it depends entirely on the individual person and what helps them :)

8. halisme

halisme Contributing Member Contributor

With paper I found myself being able to disconnect much more easily. I get a better flow as it seems more like a stream of consciousness. However my hand writing is atrocious so I have to use a PC if I want anyone to see it or be able to read it myself.

9. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

Almost always on keyboard, but if I'm totally stuck and need to brainstorm/loosen up my creativity I switch to pen and paper. I don't write so much as just jot down random words and arrows and things.

10. Earp

Earp Active Member

Like @halisme, my handwriting is so bad even I have trouble reading it (must be a bear thing), so all my writing takes place on a laptop. Once written, though, I print the story and edit it by hand before copying the edits back into the file. I'm not sure why I like to do it that way, but it is easier to carry a clipboard (Masonite, of course) and a pen (Pilot G2, ditto) rather than a laptop with me on a fishing or birding excursion.

Kinzvlle and A.S.Ford like this.
  11. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I started out writing with pen and paper. Always printed though as my handwriting looks like some bad-little-boy scrawl. I tried handwriting out my Not Pink story - it was great for catching mistakes and smoothing out some sentences as I can type so fast I make absurd mistakes - say for saw, betwine for between etc. But it took so long! Also I was always leaving or forgetting the copy somewhere and my mom got hold of it. :eek: Actually she liked it.

I usually use paper & pen for notes or for brainstorming a scene. I don't think I could totally give up pen and paper but I prefer the swiftness of a computer.

LinnyV likes this.
  12. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributing Member Contributor

I personally have to do computer. My penmanship is garbage, I don't have time to transcribe, and I like being able to edit on the fly and play with wording. But that's just me.

13. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle Active Member

My handwriting is utterly terrible. Part of that is because of various issues I had with my hands and nerve damage when I was younger, though as I`ve been working to improve had they tried to teach handwriting more I probably could have gotten it in some way but that`s not the point. For the aforenoted reasons I prefer to actually write with a computer, but I do use a notebook for ideas and planning. I`ll type up a copy of it sometimes if I'm thinking of showing anyone because my handwriting is both illegible and slightly embarrassing. Notebooks are easier for planning nad jotting down things real work and working things out in that sense. Mine has various scribble marks from the fact that I use a pen all the time. I know a pencil would be better for erasers but I always feel my handwritings slightly better with a pen.

14. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Contributing Member

I can't read my handwriting. I don't even take notes in my college classes so I'm not going to bother handwriting my stories.

15. Fawky

Fawky Member

I have terrible handwriting and quick fingers on a computer, however the pros and cons list don't apply to every situation.

It's something about the feeling, the pure atmosphere that appears when you pick up a notebook and your favorite pen. It's something about feeling your words and not just seeing them. There's something about pen and paper that has something absolutely beautiful attached to it that I could never get from a screen and a keyboard.

minstrel likes this.
  16. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

Both. For 1st drafts, I write with pen and paper. For succeeding drafts, all go digital. Even then I print out the drafts to I can write on them with red ink, making notes and adding commentary for my revisions.

Steerpike likes this.
  17. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I also do first drafts by hand. I have found for years that my work flow and creativity are better, and recently there have been studies published that found that the way the brain is engaged when writing by hand leads to a greater flow of ideas, and on average greater output, than typing by keyboard. That's something I always found to be true for myself personally, and I was curious as to whether the different parts of the brain that light up during handwriting has an impact. It appears that it does, and I recommend anyone who hasn't tried it to give it a shot and see if they also experience a change in output.

minstrel and KJRid like this.
  18. KJRid

KJRid New Member

Steerpike, I think we read some of the same studies because that's what prompted me to start this thread! I do find my creative output to increase when I write by hand.

Just doing it today I noticed that it was less stressful to write without seeing a word count at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes I think when I have that little number down there I feel obligated to use "filler" to increase it for certain parts of the story, instead of letting things come naturally. So for this reason I think I will, too, start doing first drafts- no matter how unbalanced it becomes- by hand and reviewing it later.

Another benefit that I know I've heard of a famous author (I forget who) used is that he/she would use cards, and on each scene write one. Then he/she could rearrange them at will. This seems like a good method to go about things so I think I will try it out.

By the way! For all those people talking about terrible handwriting, I had bad handwriting too. What I did was learn cursive and use it in my end-of-the-day journal. After about a month I was shocked to see how neat and professional it looked. So for those looking to tidy up their handwriting, all it takes is practice ;)

Steerpike likes this.
  19. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

Here's bad handwriting:

20. LinnyV

LinnyV Contributing Member

@nastyjman - above is not bad handwriting! That looks legible! Or at least they look like words. These days I'm so lazy, my writing is just squiggly lines when I pretend to write. I've given up taking notebooks to meetings.

I've seen people with beautiful handwriting and I admire that.

I would like to hand write for brainstorming ideas if only so I can get away from the computer and give my eyes a rest. On the rare occasion I'm disciplined enough to write barely legibly, the creative output was great.

21. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Active Member

I pretty much 100% handwrite these days. I used to write my stories on paper and then type it out, but after many years of having lost my works, I've been emotionally scarred, even though I know now how to save my work better. Doesn't help that I haven't gone far enough along in my stories since high school, pretty much.
    That will hopefully change, though.
    Still, nothing beats putting pen to paper, my favorite inks being dark blue or violet. And I can occasionally doodle on the pages if I'm so bored or feeling bold. Something that I can't do on the screen.

22. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

Have you tried a touch-screen tablet/two-in-one, etc?
    You can doodle on more and more laptops.
    Touchscreen monitors are cheaper than ever.
    But I get your point... ballpoint :p.

I scribble everywhere.
    I type because I feel like I can share it faster (by printing/online).

EDIT:
    I add that you can easily use erase board markers on touchscreens.
    Just wipe off within a week. ;)

23. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Contributing Member Contributor

I mainly type on a laptop, but I keep a smart phone on me in case I have an idea and I'm away from the laptop.
    With the right app / program, I can easily send notes from one device to the other without having to re-type everything.

24. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Is it just me, or are people in this thread boasting about how bad their handwriting is? Almost like a competition for who's worst.

Reminds me of the Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch. :D

Witchymama, BruceA and nastyjman like this.
  25. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributing Member

WP_20160310_18_19_18_Pro.jpg