1. TheSilverBeetle

TheSilverBeetle Member

Handwriting your stories.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TheSilverBeetle, Jan 13, 2013.

Do any of you ever hand write your stories first or at least parts of them? And if you do where do you write them and how.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I do a lot of my writing by hand. I love to work that way. I wrote a little essay about why writing by hand is best and I've posted it on this forum two or three times, so I won't repeat it here - you can search for it if you want. The gist of it was that if you write by hand, you are forced to type it into a computer at some point, so you're compelled to do a revision right there. Also, if you keep portable notebooks around, you can write anywhere, under any circumstances.

Besides, I like the look of my own handwriting, when I'm doing it well. When I'm writing by hand, I get to appreciate the beauty of my sentences on more than one level: first, because the words are beautiful, and second, because the handwriting is beautiful. I know that doesn't translate to the reader, because the publisher controls the font, but it helps give me a little extra satisfaction, and a little extra impetus to keep writing.

1 person likes this.
  3. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

I tend to do a lot of my writing by hand, right now it's mostly because I don't have a computer to work with and I'm borrowing my Mom's. Otherwise, I find that writing by hand lets me focus more on my writing, and less on everything else. I don't feel the constant urge to stop, reread, and edit, like I do on the computer. I just write and don't stop until my hand hurts so bad I can't hold a pencil/pen. Which actually isn't very long considering my hand starts hurting after 10 minutes.

4. Talmay

Talmay Member

It's pretty much the only reason I get any writing done. My computer is full of mislabeled, random documents brimming with plot ideas and little snippets to the point it's overwhelming. Grabbing a notebook and writing it on paper helps me form a cohesive body while adding things that never occurred to me before. By the time I complete a chapter I just feel proud of myself. Puts things into perspective.

5. TheSilverBeetle

TheSilverBeetle Member

All of this really helps and makes me feel better. Thank you for the input, everybody!

6. Searching4aMuse

Searching4aMuse Member

I have bad hand writing because of chronic pain and from lack of practice. I tend to stick to the keyboard as hand writing seems to make it act up more than typing. There are times when I do write by hand. If I'm away from a computer and I suddenly get inspired or if I'm taking notes. I do have notebooks laying around everywhere. I love notebooks, really I do, but I'm more of a typing type of person.

7. TheSilverBeetle

TheSilverBeetle Member

I just feel awkward hand writing my stories. I don't know why and I hate it. It is very frustrating.

8. KalyQT

KalyQT New Member

I prefer hand writing my novels, it allows me to feel like I am actually there in the story. When I type I feel less connected to the story to get that same feeling.

9. popsprocket

popsprocket Member

I physically can't. Between a breaking my thumb and wrist over the years I get an intense ache if I spend more than 20 minutes writing. So I have a notebook that gets filled with my ideas and snippets, but I'll never write more than a partial scene by hand.

10. live2write

live2write Contributing Member

All the time when brainstorming and writing sections of chapters that are in the moment. I wrote my first book on paper and looking back on it I ended up cutting 75% of it. I considered it more of practice than the perfection I am striving for.

However I will type out my stories, print them and do the proof reading that way. I find it so much better to hand write comments and additional notes from my readers to help me polish up the story and ask questions that I could not ask myself.

11. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

I've been writing stories as young as 7 on a typewriter, and then transitioned to the computer at the age of 9. The keyboard is how I grew up and I can't write any other way.

12. KalyQT

KalyQT New Member

I wonder if how you grew up writing has alot to do with your preference. My daughter is the same age as you and grew up typing and she likes the computer for writing her stories. I grew up hand writing my stories and feel much more comfortable writing that way.

Of course when I was really young, before I could write, my mom bought me a tape recorder and I would record stories and draw pictures to go with them...I still have them, and listened to them recently, I would like to believe my abilities have improved since then but I have those days that I have to question myself;)

13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Contributing Member

I hand write, for many of the same reasons Minstrel gave, with the exception of handsome handwriting, because my handwriting is pretty damned homely. Also, when I get on a good rip, ideas will pop out at any time and the margins fill quickly.

14. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributing Member Contributor

I'll usually start on a computer, and then switch to hand-written when I hit the inevitable bit where the ideas just stop flowing properly. Changing the format if often enough of a pattern-interrupt to kick out the block and get things moving again. When it happens again, I shift back to the computer, lather, rinse and repeat.

15. Head

Head New Member

Speaking as a raw beginner.

I primarily handwrite so far, though I've certainly done both and I'm a very competent typist (special thanks to work, the internet).

As someone who has never been taught how to edit (non-formal writing at least), taking a red pen to some handwritten well-spaced pages of a notebook is much more obvious and natural to me than I guess figuring the same out on a computer (you could print it out I guess, but that's kind of adding a step near the beginning).

I really like my stationery too.

16. mbear

mbear Member

Never hand write writing ideas. At a young age (13 or so) my writings were found and I was made fun of my by step father in a very mean way. Now I have a pass word protected computer so that no one can do that to me again unless I choose for my work to be seen by someone and I can be prepared for the criticism. So I have a reason for it, but I am sure if that never happened to me then I would have handwritten a little bit here and there. I do prefer a handwritten planner for appointments, which drive my husband crazy as he would prefer we use google calendar but I just cannot remember to put it on there.

17. MeganHeld

MeganHeld Senior Member

I always found handwriting my first draft in a journal easier than typing on a computer. I can carry a journal with me everywhere, unlike my laptop. It's more intimate and I write from my heart this way.

It also allows me to see impurities right away when I begin to type up that first draft. Some people have issues doing this. It's all about comfort and preference. I know some people that type up their first drafts, but if they cannot get on a computer they will handwrite their idea/scene.

18. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Contributing Member

I always hand write my rough drafts. I have notebooks set aside for different things, and one dedicated to rough drafts. For me, the reason I started this, is because I type way too fast, and sometimes, when I'm really in the flow, I type so fast, I start losing sight of the meaning in my sentences and words. This may not make sense, but when I hand write, things slow down, and I start actually considering my word choice and it allows me to stay clear. I also write in spurts, so I may hand write an opening scene, or half of the story, take a break and in that break I'll digitize what I have, and anything I add, happens when I go back and hand write.

That's just my process. Maybe one day I won't have to and I'll be able to start digitally, but at the moment, I don't care. I rather enjoy the process of hand writing, it's intimate and slows my mind down. I feel it becomes more of a physical representation of my expression, for when I am done, I can look at it and have a much better sense of what just physically came out of me.

19. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have often written parts of or whole pieces of work by hand... my preference is with a medium point, blue ink fat ballpoint pen [Dr. Grips, currently... parker's 'big red' and schaeffer fat ones in days of yore] on a lined pastel pad with a heavy-duty cardboard back [ampads are best]...

lacking those, i'll write on anything with anything... major side benefit after bodily comfort [easy chair, bed, et al.] is it results in a first edit when i type it onto the computer...

20. Kat Hawthorne

Kat Hawthorne Member

Generally I type when I have a large amount of stuff bursting to come out, because it is faster for me. However, if there is any "figuring" to be done, I pull out the old notepad. It allows for greater freedom. I can write little side notes to myself (ie, "Kat, this is utter rot!"). When planning a story, I am the type of person who likes to ask herself questions, then go about answering all of them. This is easiest to do on paper, or if I'm feeling particularly geeky (or artistic) I use a whiteboard. Yes, I just said that. A whiteboard. The whiteboard is handy for things like charts - I can draw lines from one character to another to represent a relationship or an open-end that needs closing. I guess I'm visual that way.
    So my answer is yes, and no. I use both.

21. Kat Hawthorne

Kat Hawthorne Member

Oops! A repeater. Damned technology....

22. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't even handwrite my grocery lists any more. Why? It's embarrassing to stand in the middle of a grocery aisle staring at my lisy and muttering to myself, "What the hell is this?"

23. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

One of the reasons I quit college was because I hated writing my exam essays by hand. I can't write fast enough and end up with an unreadable scribble. Plus my wrist gets really agitated.

24. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Contributing Member

I do a basic layout out and ideas in a note book, only because they easier to transport and no need to worry about batteries. I type mostly, as

1. My hand writing is bad as I cant keep up with my thoughts so i rush and when i look back i'm staring at it squinted and sounding words phonetically.
    2. I change my mind easily and there are a lot of scribbles and going over words, fitting a new line over the old lines and sometimes having to copy the only good lines from the scrunched up piece of paper i put the pen through.
    3. You have to type eventually really, and writing the story for a second time is a bit of a superfluous exercise.
    4. Without the computer I would never be able to spell superfluous.

25. sylvertech

sylvertech Active Member

Handwriting allows for brainstorming. It is really much more troublesome to draw and be free with a computer.

Also, handwriting is less constrained, and allows for more fluid writing. Soon you'll find yourself having written thousands of words and never had trouble continuing.

One problem of mine is that I tend to write very messily and my writing is night intelligible to any outsider,
    and often I face trouble when rereading it and typing it onto the computer.

Retyping it on the computer is one of the things I dislike,
    but it does indeed serve as a revision, and is a helpful trick.

If you keep the notes contained in one copybook, and neatly,
    you would not face any of the troubles and benefit from all the good points.