Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

Happiness on A Global Scale is Unattainable

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Wynter, Aug 21, 2014.

I was giving this a thought lately because in my novel that I'm working on one of my characters embodies 'happiness' in the sense and that lead me to thinking how do we define happiness.

One of the things I noticed is that we can get our sense of happiness from others, we can identify who is happy and who is not, most of the time. This isn't going into areas like depression etc; which some people are able to mask well.

Anyways, the point I eventually came to is that if we all were happy, we'd then lose track of what happiness is. We'd be told that we're happy, yet we'd delude ourselves that we aren't because everyone's exactly the same.

We'd try and attain happiness, but once we were all happy, we'd re-invent the term. Because if everyone was happy, what happiness is would be lost, because our sense of happiness is derived from that which is around us.

Happiness to me, is something we will always seek to attain, and once we gain it, we feel like we want more. And as a result we make ourselves unhappy again and again, just for the sake of it. It's just an ever revolving circle that never truly ceases or stops.

Does anyone agree with me/even get where I'm going with this and if not why do you disagree?

2. daemon

daemon Contributing Member Contributor

I get where you are going with this and you are basically stating a major point of dukkha, one of the four "noble truths" of Buddhism.

Wynter likes this.
  3. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

Yeah, looking at Buddhish there are some things which I don't necessarily agree with, but their teachings around suffering, happiness etc; are brilliant, to my mind at least. And the things is, is that they are so true, which isn't altogether surprising, but more something to look at and admire.

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

Happiness isn't a permanent state, it's dynamic. Sometimes we are happy, sometimes we aren't. I think on a global scale, we can achieve equality and equal opportunity, we can ensure that everybody's basic physical and emotional needs are met, through bettering the society and improving the sense of empathy between people. So the basic level of contentment, feeling of comfort and safety can be increased and attained on a global level. Happiness is just one in the range of emotions humans regularly feel, and it is regularly attained on a global level, but individually, and not everyone at the same time.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

The Buddha said that desire is the cause of suffering. This includes the desire to be happy. It also includes the desire to desire something. Only when you realize this last point will you begin to truly understand Buddha's point.

Another thing I'll add is that we look at happiness the wrong way. We always talk about "attaining happiness" as if it's some external entity that needs to be found. That's the wrong way of looking at it. As the saying goes, we all have the Buddha within us.

Lemex and jazzabel like this.
  6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

What is 'happiness'?

thirdwind likes this.
  7. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You need to be at least a little bit drunk to even start thinking about questions like this. :p

Wynter and Lemex like this.
  8. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

What about with proper (futuristic) medical treatment?

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Haha, I know I do! :D

10. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

I'm sure it's possible, however, I expect there would be similar types of complications as we see today with cocaine and amphetamine abuse. Recently, it's been shown that depression isn't primarily due to neurochemical imbalance but that it's related to reduced neurogenesis - reduced generation of neurons and neural connections. Neurochemicals such as serotonin, aka 'happy neurotransmitter' have direct effect on neurogenesis. However, unless the neurogenesis potential is made infinite, artificially created permanent happiness just might deplete brain's potential to be happy. But I can imagine this might be possible to counteract, if technology is advanced enough, create a new baseline and calibrate positive and negative feedback mechanisms accordingly. Or some such :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.