1. Tyde

Tyde New Member

Abandoning English(?)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Tyde, Oct 31, 2007.

Bare with me here.

So I started A-level 2 months ago. I'm not sure how further education schemes are set up in other countries-- but A-levels are like college courses.

Anyway, I'm having a big feeling of regret looming over not choosing to do English as a subject. It feels like I'm abandoning it. I did it in High School, enjoyed it, and got good grades: A*s in both language and literature.

I don't know whether to change over to English. It's a little late, but I think I can do it.

My current subjects: maths, physics, art and graphics.

I'm seriously thinking about replacing graphics with English. However, I got an A* in graphics in high school as well. I also enjoyed it. I don't want to change art to English since I enjoy it even more and it carries skills I seek.

Maths and physics complement each other, so removing either one of them would just hurt the other.

It would be a pretty quick decision if I actually read more. It's not that I don't enjoy reading, it's just I have A.D.D or something. I can't concentrate. My reading speed is horrendous-- talking speed challenges it in pace.

Am I missing out on not doing English at A-level? If I decided to become a writer in the future, would I find it difficult?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Not neccessarily. English qualifications aren't essential, any more than you have to have studied in order to paint. But it would certainly help. English is the kind of thing you can learn yourself, but I would say if you get a good teacher, it would be easier that way.

Are you considering A level language, or literature? Because they are very different subjects.

3. Tyde

Tyde New Member

I'm considering doing language/literature combined-- apparently, there is an A-level with them combined.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Yeah, there is. I considered it myself. In the end I did the IB rather than A Levels. You'd have to look into the specifics of the course really, and see if it's the kind of thing you're looking for.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

pardon me if i don't!... i'm sitting in front of a window where folks pass by all day, so don't think it'd be a good idea to go nudist... :eek:

taking english courses can't hurt, if you want to be a writer... for instance, they'll teach you things like the difference between 'bare' and 'bear'... ;)

when you submit your work, agents and editors won't care what you took in school, but they will care about what your writing shows you learned [or didn't!]... so taking all the english courses you can get will be a good foundation for building a career as a writer...

love and hugs, maia