1. Ennui

Ennui New Member

Do you have this compulsion?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ennui, Jun 4, 2010.

Whenever I had read a book, I felt that I need to write a book, with or without the approximately same pages, in return. I would worry about the gradual loss of new books being published, and this catalyst is not favourable. So, I just feel a compulsion to write a book in return of reading a book, so that books would be balanced in their quantity and quality.

How about you? Do you feel any misgivings of reading a book and feeling you could write a sequel or something similar in return?

2. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

Well, I certainly felt a compulsion to read your post, and I now feel a compulsion to congratulate you on your inventive and original use of the English language. :)

I have written and self-published a novel, with another on the way, but I'm thankful that I don't feel the need to write a book every time I read one, or I'd be very busy indeed. But if your basic point is that good writers inspire us to write, then I can't argue.

3. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Well, when I finish reading a book I generally think 'wow, I want to write something like that', so I guess it's more a compulsion to write well and have a similar effect on the reader, rather than just write a book in return.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nope!

i just enjoy it [or don't] and then start reading another one...

5. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Sometimes, if the book is really good. Usually, I'll just incorporate my ideas into my current work.

6. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

Inspiration is a beautiful thing, just don't forget to write your own story.

7. MissBelle

MissBelle New Member

I am not mocking you when I say, that is adorable. I had never even thought of that, hummmmmmm... (that is the sound of me thinking)

I don't think that, but for an odd reason it makes me happy that you do. :)

8. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Well, no. It does make me want to go work on my own stuff for other reasons though. Just because reading a really amazing book puts me in the right state of mind to write. :)