1. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

One step forward

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Heather Louise, Jan 28, 2008.

Ok, so this may seem a little stupid or something but today, for the first time in years, I went to school without straightening my hair. This is a huge step for me along the path of not giving a crap what anyone else thinks about me as I struggle a bit with that.

I am really fussy about what people think about me and will not leave the house without perfect hair and full made-up face etc etc. Well today I took the first step. I dried my hair and then just left. And wore a littl emore make-up.

Anyways, just thought I;d share my achievements with you all as it is good for me. :p :D

Heather

2. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha, that's good. We're all trying to look our best for others (not that there's anything wrong with that) but sometimes we really do need to look in a mirror. I don't believe in that "be in an individual" crap though. I believe in do what ever the hell fits your interest.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Well done heather :) I'm proud of you. You don't need to worry about what other people think, as long as you're happy :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Let Freedom Ring(lets)!

5. lessa

lessa New Member

Heather if you feel comfortable not doing all the fuss then go for it.
    But if you feel more comfortable more self confident then do the fussing.
    Teen hood is where it is all about you so be comfortable.
    When I was your age I was always dressed in dresses or skirts. Never owned a pair of blue jeans until I was 16. But for me I had to dress that way to be me. I know styles have changed and my style would not be seen outside the closet now but if you feel comfortable wearing it then go for it.
    After you have your first child be you married or not you will change your style again.
    the first time you are peed on in public or barfed on or you leak because it is past feeding time. You will opt for track suits with very baggy tops and dull colours so nothing shows on them.
    When they get older you will opt for jeans or pants so the little one does not climb up your leg under your skirt to play peek a boo with the stranger at the next check out.
    Then when they are teens you will have to change again if you want your daughter or son to dare to be caught dead walking through the mall with you.
    Finally they leave home and you can wear exactly what you want to wear except for one problem. Your figure left home at the same time and now you don't care what people think.
    Anyway curly hair is nice as long as it can be grown to a decent length that it is waves instead of curls.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

brava, heather!... now, see if you can dump all that makeup and really be yourself!

love and proud of you hugs, maia

7. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Congrats heather.
    Being yourself is awesome. So run with it as far as you are comfortable. And then go a step further.

8. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

Good job on taking the step forward.

If only more people could be like you and realize that they could take it down a notch and still look beautiful.

9. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Yay you! Self image is a very hard thing to overcome. But I'm glad you can do this- It may seem silly, oh it's just hair, but to you, maybe, it means more and that's great!

10. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Yeah- being yourself should never be considered a chore

so good on ye.

11. Heather Louise

thanksa everyone! Means a lot hearing I aint being daft. I am not trying to be like chang who I am or anything, just I have straightended my hair that much recently I have gotten loadsa split ends so hopefully if I feel comfertable to stop straightening my hair quite so much it will be a bit healthier. :)

Thanks for the support :D
    Heather

12. iDrew

iDrew New Member

OMG how brave, i could never leave home without slap and hair straightened even though i have to wear it in a ponytail for work. am a trackie bottoms and sloppy t-shirt girl indoors tho.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Now Heather, no one said you weren't daft! The only conclusion was that letting your hair express itself did not contribute to your daftitude. :)

And before you get all offended, think. Would you really prefer to be burdened with the label "perfectly normal"?

14. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Geez, even if the others were insane enough to lable me with perfectly normal, I'd refuse, because I like being me. An insane, lovable person.

15. Heather Louise

hehe, nah, everyone knows I'm a little nut. :p thanks chiick. :)
    I know the feeling, I do. I spend most of my times indoors with pj's on n scraggy hair etc but as soon as I venture outside, it all changes.

16. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

heh- I don't really like wearin gmake-up. No wait, that's a lie. I don't mind it, I just don't wear it a lot unless it's an important occasion!

17. Heather Louise

I always wear it, that is another thing I should cut down on as it is giving me more spots which don't look very nice. For school I wear foundation round my eyes and places with spots, although I mix it with mousturiser so I don't need as much as makes me skin sort. then i use eyeliner under my eyes, not on the insides, then about 10 layers of mascara. and that's just for school :p

18. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Yeah I used to be similar, I'd spend an hour or so just doing my makeup and hair for school- fussing over every detail but meh, as soon as I turned sixteen I'm like, 'why the hell am i bothering, no one actually notices anyway', hence I stopped with my little routine and surprisingly, everything stayed exactly the same, lol.
    Nowdays, I truely believe that as long as you're hygienic and do the basic-basics, like brushing your hair, there's no real need to be glamoured up. Also, if you look all dolled up all the time, then when an occasion calls for you to actually be dolled up, you'll look exactly the same- which seems somewhat pointless, lol.

Anyway, goodluck with you trip of self discovery, lol- I'm a cheering for you.

19. Heather Louise

thanksa chiickie. :D Ad I thought that, I didn't feel any nicer when I was going somewhere special as I just looked the same, lol.