1. Colonel

Colonel New Member

"Inspiration Quotes"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Colonel, Apr 17, 2011.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do. ~ Andrew Carnegie

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

A teddy bear teaches if the heart if true it doesn't much matter if an ear drops off. Helen Exley

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force. Dorothy Parker

Before a man can move the world he must first move himself - Socrates

I've always thought people would find a lot more pleasure in their routines if they burst into song at significant moments. — John Barrowman

Today's story was make believe. You know that Earth was never really in any danger. But you can still learn something very important from today's adventure - Queen Marlena He-Man

Sister Mary Robert: I'm so nervous. What if I forget the words?
    Sister Mary Clarence: You're gonna go straight to hell.
    (Sister Act)

All styles are good except the tiresome kind - Voltaire

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one. - Dolly Parton

All strange and terrible events are welcome, but comforts we despise. - Cleopatra

There is nothing to write about, you say. Well then, write and let me know just this - that there is nothing to write about; or tell me in the good old style if you are well. That's right. I am quite well. - Pliny the Younger

Love and freedom are vital to the creation and upbringing of a child - Sylvia Pankhurst

"We send our children into the world with the notion that a house must have a pitched roof, a square window and a chimney. How can they ever imagine they can build something beautiful out of dirt?" - Nader Khalili

Everyone is so afraid of death, but the real sufis just laugh: nothing tyrannizes their hearts. What strikes the oyster shell does not damage the pearl. - Rumi

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

"Consider me not a child of circumstances - I make my circumstances." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The sin of silence when they should protest makes cowards out of men." -Abraham Lincoln

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -Dylan Thomas

"The question is not who will let me; the question is who will try to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Also, if you want a nice liberty quote, there's the one by H.L. Mencken that can be found in my "about me" profile section, but it's a whole paragraph long.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

All quotes must be properly attributed, or they will be removed.

Furthermore, if the mods must remove too many posts, the thread will be closed.

5. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

"He who can have patience can have anything he will" - Benjamin Franklin

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life." --John Lennon

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out." -Ray Bradbury

"People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society." --Vince Lombardi

7. art

art Contributor Contributor

'There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.' - Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

'I wanted to write a book called Adam, which would be about the whole man. But then I decided not to write it.' - Rabbi Bunam von Przysucha, as recorded by Buber, Betweeen Man and Man

'I dine, I play a game of backgammon, I converse, and am merry with my friends; and when after three or four hours' amusement, I would return to these speculations, they appear so cold, and strained, and ridiculous, that I cannot find in my heart to enter into them any farther.' - Hume, A Treatise of Human Nature

'Our situation is hopeless but not serious.' - anon. The title of a book by Paul Watzlawick.

8. cheesysalsa

cheesysalsa Member

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
    Albert Einstein

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

"Nothing is impossible, until you quit and nothing is possible, unless you start." --maïa

"Having once recognized truth, one can never again take comfort or pleasure from its compromise." --maïa

"That some do evil gives none the right to do evil in return." --maïa

"The truth will set you free." John 8:32 [the Bible]
    "…but only if you tell it!" --maïa

"Philosophy is not something you can learn, but you can learn to think philosophically." --maïa

"Time is never wasted on thinking/doing foolish things, if it leads one to a useful truth." --maïa

for more: http://saysmom.com/maia/content.asp?Writing=112

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

'Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's futures, and we are all mortal' - John F. Kennedy.

I want this quote on my gravestone.

11. martial_wolf

martial_wolf New Member

"It's like a finger pointing to the moon...don't look at the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." - Bruce Lee, Enter The Dragon

This one just really gets me.

12. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I listened to a woman talking about Muhammad Ali today. I really didn't know much about him, but what an inspirational character he was/is. Here's one of his quotes I love. It exudes, yes exuuudes the principle of freedom:

13. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

The meaning of life is to give life meaning- Arjen Lucassen.

14. nightguard

nightguard New Member

Can't think of any inspirational quotes off hand but one of my favorites is
    'I told you I was Ill' -Spike Milligan
    and something one of my favorite writers said. The quote may not be exact but it was something like;
    'I had a letter from a very nice religious lady who said that I should think of my Altzeimers as a gift from God, to be honest I would rather have a wooly cardigan.' - Terry Pratchett

15. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will." - George Bernard Shaw.

I have "Imagination is the beginning of creation" - tattooed on my arm, incidentally :)

16. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

Love that one. :)

17. Space Addict

Space Addict New Member

"Who's the more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

OBI-WAN KENOBI