Tags:
  1. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Gamers Rejoice!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lordofhats, Jan 24, 2008.

According to the NPD the video game industry increased its profits by 43% 2007. They note massive sales of the Nintendo DS, continued stong sales of Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii and an increase in PS3 sales. Mor eimportantly video games have surpassed movies in revenue neting over $17 billion to Hollywoods $9.7 billion. The NPD also noted Halo 3's impressive sale of nearly 5 million copies in two months (A new record for the industry).

Best Year in Video Game History

Fellow Gamers Rejoice! :cool:

2. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I am rejoicing, believe me! :D

I'm especially happy to see the PS3 climbing in sales. It's the best system by far. Unfortunately for the Wii, a lack of actual 'proper' games will eventually be its downfall.

3. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I'm glad as well that the PS3 is finally getting a foot-hold in the industry. XBOX is good, and Wii is pretty good (I wish I had PS3 isntesd of the Wii). I'm not at all suprised to see Nintendo DS doing the best though. Still, I'm a bit suprised how it's surpassed the movie industry. I really hope we still have movies in 20 years. ;)

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Yes, 07 was a good year in gaming. Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy, Call of Duty 4 and many many more. It is good to see the PS3 doing better (This is surprising coming from me cause I hate Sony).

Hopefully the PS3 can get another price drop so she can sell even more. I'd like to see Microsoft solve some of the 360's problems (I haven't had any yet but I've heard of alot of people who have). Last generation the Xbox was the king of quality and the PS2 was the glitch king but now it appears the tables have turned.

I agree with Bluemouth about the Wii. The only good games its getting with a few exceptions, are from Nintendo. Nintendo's making a killing but if they can't hang on to third party developers their going to suffer.

5. Bluemouth

Mmm, the main problem, to further emphasise :p with the Wii, is that they rely on Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid Prime and probably a couple others I can't remember right now, to bring in the cash. In '08, finally Super Smash Bros. Brawl will come out. It'll be amazing let's face it. Following that, the new Mario Kart. But when you look past this impressive field the lack in depth is phenomenal. I mean, I was standing in Big W (the Australian version of Wal-Mart) and they had about 100 Wii games, but over 80 were pathetic maths games, or spelling games. I mean, no depth whatsoever ...

The PS3 is getting beaten on exclusives, but the bottom line is if you have the home theatre system for it, then you'll get the better experience. Besides, in most instances whatever is on the 360 will be on the PS3.

In terms of games, I may possibly explode when I get my hands on Turok (Feb. 7). I've been following it's progress since they started and I can't wait. While I'm a little worried about the aiming system they've got going, and the graphics look kind of bad at times, it'll blow most FPSs away. Are you guys excited about Turok?

Often, my problem is that I play a consistently well-reviewed game but don't like it. The exception is Super Mario Galaxy, which is excellent. But I played COD4 single player and found it really poor. However, the sniper mission was one of the best ever made. Multiplayer was the major disappointment. I think I rely on capture the flag for online modes. In Resistance: Fall of Man (which has an awesome single player and the best capture the flag map available) I'm completely in my element. It's the only game I can play for hours doing the same thing. In Turok, there's no flag, but a canister instead. Now imagine running through the jungle, avoiding enemies, but also avoiding raptors lurking in the darkness. Insane. Can't wait.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I though Call fo Duty 4 was pretty good. Though the SP was too short for me and lacked the old "Hold Your Position" missions I loved (They were there but they weren't very long or very fun). I loved the sniepr mission it was brilliant and you gotta admit "Shock and Awe" may be one of the best moments in gaming.

I was disappointed by Halo 3. It was fun but the quality of the single player has hit 0. In Halo CE and Halo 2 there were moments in Single Player where i jsut played them over and ove rbut there was none of that in Halo 3.

7. Bluemouth

I saw the end of Halo 3 where you have to kill the spherical robot thing. It seemed really easy and apparently it was a massive letdown.

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Yes my senteiments exactly.

9. Bluemouth

I only saw this today, but it's the sequel that could finally become more popular than Halo.

Link.

Two separate campaigns, 60 players online, 8 player online co-op.

10. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Hmm. Resistence was good. Its a darn shame I boycott Sony products (I buy American, the economy here needs every dollar it can get.. darn you exclusive games!). 60 player online sounds great, though if done improperly would be horribly laggy. Still its Naughty Dog and they have a darn good track record so I'll give them the benefit.

I doubt it'll become more popular than Halo. Halo is a freakin juggernaut. Hopefully now that Bungie is independent again we can see some actual improvement in the games. Better yet maybe bungie can give us a new IP.

11. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I figured I'd drop this in here instead of making a new thread for the same basic theme.

World of Warcraft hits 10 Million

World of Warcraft has become the msot popular game in the world hitting the 10,000,000member milestone. If you take subscriptions, that is between $120,000,000-$150,000,000 a month, $1,440,000,000-$1,800,000,000 a year for Blizzard.

The rejoicing will now cease. This is a time for wild parties and disco.

12. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Not a fan of WoW. Can't stand the ceaseless grinding for levels.

In other news, happy belated Winter-een-mas!