1. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Who Cooks?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheHedgehog, Jan 12, 2010.

Just wondering if we have any gourmets here on the Forum, or some people who are not so much that... I personally love to cook; it relaxes me and at the end of the day I can make dinner and recollect my thoughts; and it softens up my parents. :cool:

So... do you like to cook? Love it? Trying to learn? Not so good at it? Any appalling, humorous stories you have to share from the kitchen?

[​IMG]

2. Yarnillah

Yarnillah New Member

I love cooking! Especially baking. Sometimes I'm not allowed to cook dinner though, coz I don't use meat. I'm a vegetarian. Lol. Cakes and homemade pastries are my specialities though :D

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't make many desserts, but I bake a good percentage of the bread I eat. I also have a wide range of chili recipes, from little old lady friendly to this'll burn the hair off your chest. I make pizzas that the local pizzarias would envy, and I love experimenting with recipes from around the world.

There are a couple pictures of bread I have made in the gallery on my profile.

4. Yarnillah

Yarnillah New Member

Cool. Homemade bread is the best. Have you ever tried doing different types of bread? Likemy granny does this apricot bread and she also does a chocolate chip one hmmmm...yummy.

5. TheHedgehog

My family loves to cook, for the most part. My mother's very well versed in the church cookbook, my dad's brother a foodie all the way, and I am in somewhere in between those two. I love ethnic food, especially Asian and Middle Eastern, but I love Southern Food, the sustenance of my ancestors (fatback, grits, and cornbread :D, and fried chicken).

Even though I love making food, and eating it, the find that the two dishes I eat the most often is an English Muffin with peanut butter and jam, and a bowl of Cherios. (other than that, sushi would be my first, last, and in-between meal).

6. Yarnillah

Yarnillah New Member

I tried the sushi with the raw fish and wasabi one time. I put on a brave face. I like wasabi, but I'm afraid I was a little sick after the raw fish :(

7. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I do all the cooking at home. I still have to learn how to bake though.

8. Yarnillah

Yarnillah New Member

It's not that hard really...i don't think anyway...you just follow the recipe

9. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

ANyone remember Bricky? lol My mudcake that turned into a solid mass Rumpole40k and I named Bricky... :p

Other than that, I made chocolate chip cookies with salt rather than sugar, turned out very salty and unedible ROFL!

But I love cooking, and am rather good at it, just not so much with deserts is all. :p Dan does most of our cooking, and is a damn fine cook I must say. Can't eat his curries though. One drop on my tongue and it burns for a year... ><

10. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I love cooking, particularly Italian, Mexican and Indian dishes when it comes to savoury/mains. My specialty, however, is Hungarian goulash (I'm mad for sweet and/or smoked paprika XD).

Baking is also one of my favourite things to do (and one of the main reasons Christmas is a favoured time of the year - much baking to do, particularly gingerbread houses :-D). For some reason, though, I have never been able to properly master yeast cookery - it generally turns out edible, but needs some finesse... Cakes are what I'm best at, and I've attended classes to learn how to decorate professionally.

11. lessa

lessa New Member

I learned to cook when I was 8.
    When my friends go easy bake ovens my parents couldn't afford one so my mother said she would teach me on a real stove and oven.
    By 9 I was cooking family meals for 7.
    Saturdays I would lock myself in the kitchen and bake or cook for hours.
    My father was a baker at one time and he taught me how to make all types of breads hovis was a favourite.
    I taught both my boys to cook and now they do the majority of the cooking for their families. Their wives love it.
    I love to cook and do all the cooking but I just found out my husband does really good french fries from scratch. I told him he is now in charge of those.
    When we go to a restaurant and enjoy the meal I try to copy it at home.
    I don't use recipes much at all. But I love to experiment. I guess that is why my baking is not spectacular.

12. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    My boyfriend's a very good cook, so when we cook together I usually follow his lead, lol.

He's made me some yummy breakfast's in bed before :D

I used to think I was good at baking, but lately some sort of curse has come upon me whereby my cakes come out shallow and unrisen. Either that or they taste like mud. :( I used to make wonderful cake....what went wrong!?

13. lessa

lessa New Member

how old is your baking powder. Try a new box.
    you could also try whipping the eggs to frothy before adding the rest of the ingredients.

14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I enjoy cooking, and do it any chance I get - which, now I'm living in a flat, is pretty much a constant.

15. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I wish my daughters were like you! Unfortunately, they're like me--although we can all cook fairly well, we regard it as a bit of a chore. We eat a lot of salad in our house...

16. lessa

lessa New Member

madhoca a quick no brainer and no love of cooking tip.
    when making a salad. every vegetable you put into it just cut a cup extra. toss it into a casserole dish or slow cooker.
    add a cup of canned soup stock or cream soup.
    next morning add whatever meat you like a bit of rice and put into a slow oven or crock pot.
    you come home to a hot meal with the salad already in it.
    and no bothering with the cooking.
    slow cookers are a non cookers best friend.

17. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

I love to cook and wish I had time to cook more often. My best dishes are home made Spaghetti, Lasagna, and Ravioli. I make everything here at home. My mom passed her recipe on to me...I have to make extra sauce and freeze it for my oldest son. He loves it. I bake a lot of desserts, my favorite is my dark chocolate cranberry cake but my family loves my brownies.

I guess the funniest story I have is once, right after I was married, I made dinner for my ex husband's friends. There were about ten guests and I was happy to have everyone over. Anyway, I was baking something and it bubbled over and caught fire, when I opened the door to the oven, smoke billowed out and set off the smoke detectors, my guests were having to help my ex shut off the detectors while I battled the blaze coming from the oven. I caught the drying towel on fire, which caused more smoke, and we all had to leave the house. hahaha Needless to say, the night was a disaster. From that day to current, they call me smokey. :rolleyes: LOL

18. lessa

lessa New Member

I grew up with pop up toasters but at one time when my eldest was about 2 I had a toaster oven for making toast.
    I always burned it. I would put a bowl of cereal out for Raymond and keep doing stuff and the toast would catch fire.
    Instead of being afraid Raymond calmly kept eating and would just say "mommy, breakfast is ready" and keep eating his cereal.
    It is still laughed at even though I haven't done that in years.

19. Cogito

Sounds about perfect to me. I love a good curry that bites back!

20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I cook.

I love all things from the Indian subcontinent, east to Asia, and south through the islands of Oceania.

I live in Puerto Rico.

My friends think me strange until they try my curry. ;)

21. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Hummn...yumm...will try

22. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

Generally I think of cooking as a chore. I hate chores. There are times when I enjoy it..like when I am throwing a dinner party or something. Most nights though, I would rather go out and safe the time, effort, and dishes. It doesn't help that I am a vegetarian and my husband is not. Limits options.

23. Cogito

How do you manage that? Do you end up cooking a meat meal for him and vegetarian fare for yourself? Or does he cook his own dinner? Or do you eat vegetarian shared meals, and he puts together meat meals when you don't have to see of smell them?

Just curious.

24. TheHedgehog

*clutches bacon lovingly*

25. lessa

lessa New Member

I know a few recipes where one dish can do both vegetarian and carnivore. with a few tweaks.
    kind of fun to try and please everyone and succeed.