Tags:
  1. Sanz

Sanz New Member

A question of Setting

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Sanz, Jan 30, 2011.

Hello,

I am a new member to this forum and excited to be here. I didn't say much in the introduction area, as I was still reading and getting familiar with the forum.

Just to give you a backdrop on me, I am an established artist in one of the many fields of the arts. I have been writing since High School, even though I have done this for fun. It was just recently that I received a phone call from a friend, who is a published author, to let me know that my writing had been instrumental on her decision to become a writer herself, and that I should pursue a writing career as well.

Obviously, I took off in a different field, and cannot complain, since I have achieved recognition in Europe, North, Central and South America. Now, that my career is established, I feel the insisting need to take writing on a more serious note. And well, I have set some new goals for myself, which I intend to achieve in this new field.

The same way I am a rookie here in this forum, when it comes to writing, I am a rookie as well, regardless of the long years I have been putting down thoughts into words.

I wirte, for the most part, novels. I can range from suspense, to thrillers, to romance, to romantic thrillers and mysteries. Horror and Sci-Fi are not on my list of preferences, even though I enjoy reading them as well.

Anyway, to the point of the question, now that is obvious that I am untrainted in these arts, and simply write because it is a part who I am and an extension of my artistic expression:

When writing a fiction story, is it okay to set it in a fictional place within a real place? And again, I am not talking about Sci-Fi things or anything... simply creating a town that does not exist within a real life, true existing place. Does that make sense? I hope so, because I would really want to lay my mind to rest with this question.

The reason I ask, in the end, is a question of credibility, of course.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    :)

2. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

You mean base an imaginary location off of one in the real world? Yea, it happens all the time. Everyone does it.

All fantasy, no matter how far fetched, has some basis in the real world.

3. Sanz

Sanz New Member

Yes, I suppose.

I mean, create a town, within a real state, for example. Now the town would be a complete creation on my part.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

again it happens all the time - a generic town, even country is created.

5. Sanz

Sanz New Member

My stories, since they are all fictional, I just go off into my own world and create things the way I want them, but I do base things in facts and real countries, places, etc. But so far, my writing has been for my own pleasure and some of my closest friends. Not really for public. So, in terms of creating a credible setting for a story, do I need to actually do it in a real place, or can I just go ahead with the freedom of my imagination?

6. Sanz

Sanz New Member

Thank you!!!

I've been reading a lot on writing lately and it all led to accuracy and credibility. I wouldn't want to fall in a trap of people saying, where the heck is that town when I live in the area?? Never heard of it! lol

7. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Let your imagination run riot - you can always rein it in when you edit.

8. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

A lot of authors create their own towns so they dont' have to deal with people saying, "How could do that to my town! It's nothing like you wrote! Blah blah blah!"

9. Sanz

Sanz New Member

Thank you all for your replies! They all have eased my mind!!!

Ellipse! Your answer actually makes a lot of sense! Thanks!

10. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Its perfectly fine to create a fictional town/city within a real country/state. You can even create your own country or if you wanted completely rewrite history. So instead of the US having 50 states you can give them 53.

Making up a fictional town or city is common place. Think of the world your story takes place in as your own.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as noted above, it's done all the time... and has been, ever since humans started writing fiction...