Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko Contributing Member

Happy Holidays?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by aimi_aiko, Dec 23, 2013.

Okay, so where I'm from I hear a lot of outrage when someone is told "Happy Holidays" the person then retorts and shouts "Merry Christmas". I'm trying to understand the anger people feel when told Happy Holidays. It's like they get offended. I understand to an extent but then again, I don't fully understand. From what I understand, Christians get offended by this because they believe that it should always be Merry Christmas (like it was in the past). However, I understand why it's said Happy Holidays, because not everyone celebrates Christmas at this time. There is Kwanzaa and Hanukkah too (and other holidays as well). I think some people say Happy Holidays in fear that they will offend someone if they say Merry Christmas. I don't believe this is right.

I believe that regardless of your holiday, you should express that saying. In a scenario I think that lets say, a Christian walks up to a Jewish person and says "Merry Christmas" (the Christian is not aware this person is Jewish) and instead of the Jewish person getting offended they can express their holiday and respond "Happy Hanukkah" and both go about their day. I believe this is a much better way instead of spreading anger and hate during the holidays.

What are your opinions of this? I'm a little on the fence about the situation. I understand both parties reasons. What are you understandings and opinions? I would love to know!

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Personally a lot of times I just say Happy Holidays because it is shorter than saying Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

3. aimi_aiko

Yeah that's what my Fiancee said that the reason was too. But I've heard others bring up the situation I am talking about too.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm an atheist, I don't have any religious beliefs, or reason not to observe Christmas. It just isn't a holy day for me. If someone says 'Merry Christmas' to me I say it back, there is no reason to be offended by what is in every way a pleasantry.

Orihalcon likes this.
  5. aimi_aiko

Good point. I understand your reason.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'm the same way as Lemex. If someone says "Merry Christmas" to me, I'll say it back. I know some atheists get offended when someone tells them "Merry Christmas," but those people are just dicks.

If I'm saying it to someone first, I go with "Happy Holidays" because I'm an atheist and because that phrase encompasses all the holidays that are celebrated this time of the year.

Orihalcon and Lemex like this.
  7. aimi_aiko

I understand. I'm glad to find some non-religious responses in this! My sister is an atheist and she prefers to say Happy Holidays as well. Thanks for your response!

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as an atheist who doesn't observe any holidays, i have to admit it is slightly annoying to me that most people seem to expect everyone to be holiday-celebrants...

but i don't take it as a personal affront... when someone wishes me a 'happy thanksgiving' or 'merry christmas' or 'happy holidays' i simply say, 'i don't observe holidays, but thank you for the thought'... and then add that i hope they enjoy theirs...

FlyFast likes this.
  9. aimi_aiko

Wonderful! I like your response! I appreciate the fact that you respond to them in such a polite manner. This is what I wish in everyone religious or non-religious, that regardless if we celebrate or not, we respect each other. Great! Thank you so much for you input!

10. aimi_aiko

As I've read your responses, I realize I forgot another important group of people that I should've mentioned in my OP. Non-religious people are just as much included in this situation as religious people. My apologies for not thinking of you guys first hand. You all have brought up a lot of good points! In fact, they inspired me very much! Thank you so much and keep the responses coming! I love reading them!

11. Lemex

For me Christmas is about being with my family, and it's purely a day for materialistic pleasantries. My parents are both Christians though, and I have no problem joining in a religious celebration for their sake. In fact, I don't mind joining in any religious celebration. If I'm invited then what is the harm? I don't believe in it, so I have no reason to feel negative about it.

12. aimi_aiko

I totally agree with you. I believe it's all for the family myself. That's my favorite part of Christmas, is spending time with your family. I appreciate the fact that you do this for your family, regardless of your beliefs.

13. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Family? Psh. Let's keep it real. It's all about the gifts. I would celebrate any holiday if it meant I was getting gifts. :p

erebh, JJ_Maxx and Lemex like this.
  14. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

In the distant past the Christians usurped the winter celebration from the pagan holiday celebrating the winter solstice. In the US today and I'm guessing many other countries, capitalists have taken over Christmas and made it a shopping celebration. It's a holiday, I'm fine with most any holiday.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all. :D

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  15. aimi_aiko

Oh my....really? In my opinion, people who look forward to nothing but getting gifts on holidays are selfish. My favorite part is spending time with family and GIVING the gifts. I can care less if I receive any. But this is getting off topic...

16. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

If anyone wishes me a happy or merry day, and it is a religious observance to them (I don't care what religion it is, and I'm not religious myself), I say thanks and wish them the same in return. I've been wished Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and even a Happy or Peaceful Ramadan.

What's so hard about recognizing the sentiment behind the words, saying thanks, and wishing them the same in response?

Okon and JJ_Maxx like this.
  17. Lemex

Honestly, though I share their unbelief, Atheists who get offended if someone wishes them a Merry Christmas and have that look in their eyes where you can just tell they are thinking 'Oh you poor, ignorant religious person' (or as I like to put it 'What would Dawkins say?') are so very hate-able.

18. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

People who have that kind of unwarranted, arrogant, self-righteous attitude are hateable on general principles, whether they're coming from a point of theism or atheism :)

19. Wyr

Wyr Active Member

I usually say "Merry Christmas" by default. I'm Catholic; it's how I was raised and is just an ingrained part of my speech pattern. If I know for a fact that the person I'm talking to is Jewish, atheist, or what have you then I usually make an effort to include their preferred celebration, because it's just common courtesy. If we can't be thoughtful and polite during the holidays (no matter which one/s you yourself are celebrating) then when?

20. Lemex

Very true! :)

21. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It doesn't help that people make up half the supposed atheist hatred of Merry Christmas.

Thou shalt not bear false witness, anyone?

22. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I treat celebrations and holidays the same way I treat birthdays. If a stranger comes up to me and tells me it's their birthday, I would wish them a happy birthday. It's not my birthday and it doesn't affect me in the slightest, but another human being is celebrating something that is important to them, and there's no reason I shouldn't wish happiness to them in return.

If someone says to you, 'Merry Christmas!' anything other than, 'You too!' or 'Merry Christmas' is just someone with a chip on their shoulder who holds a certain amount of negative energy toward others.

Share in the happiness of your fellow man, whether it involves you or not. :)

23. aimi_aiko

Exactly!

24. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I am an atheist. I celebrate Christmas, and I call it Christmas. I celebrate it as time to get together with family, time to step out of the daily flow, time consider what those I am close to hold dear (how else can you select meaningful gifts). I shake my head at those who get hung up on the labels, but I do get annoyed when someone tries to tell me the "true" meaning of Christmas, as a way of pushing their own agenda.

I celebrate Thanksgiving, as a time to reflect on the good things that have come my way. I skip Easter. I meditate on Chanuka, on the strength of spirit and devotion that kept the flame lit, and how resources can go far if conservatively used. I celebrate Halloween for the sheer joy of living out fantasies.

I celebrate many holidays, irrespective of their root religions (if any). For each, I find my own meanings, and I don't seek ways to take offense. Life's too short for that nonsense.

JJ_Maxx likes this.
  25. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

If someone says Happy Holidays to me, I just say it back. Why be offended? Plus, most people who say it to me are at work (i.e. a waitress), and that's company protocol. I go to a Catholic school, so over there, I can say Merry Christmas as much as I want and everyone says it to me. By the time I'm out, I will happily say Happy Holidays just because it's a nice change of pace. And no matter what I say, I try to at least say one of them, because it always makes someone smile. Isn't that what's important?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.