1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Android vrs. Apple

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daniel, Dec 29, 2012.

Recently I upgraded from a PC to a Macbook Air. I should have done this years ago. Now, however, I'm looking for a new smartphone and potentially a tablet. I've used the iPhone in the past, and loved it. However, I'm considering getting the Google Nexus 4 when it's in stock. Tablet-wise, I love the Nexus 7 my roommate has, and would probably prefer that over the iPad. With a tablet, I'm not a fan of the iPad and would much prefer the Nexus 7.

This leaves me in a sort of predicament. It'd be better if I could stay one one platform. I'm a Mac owner, so that predisposes me to Apple. I've used the iPhone, never had an Android phone. For those of you who have Android, how do you like it?

I want to make sure I choose the best Platform for a phone and potentially tablet. With Apple, I'm locked it; with Android, I'll have a selection of other Android devices I can switch to. I want to make my decision based on what will benefit me the most in the future. I don't want to regret what platform I choose.

What are you thoughts? If the platform issue wasn't there, I'd go with the iPhone and the Nexus 7... but I need to keep them together. Nexus 4 & Nexus 7 is what Im leaning towards. Would this leave me at any disadvantage as a Macbook owner?

Also, does anyone have the Nexus 4? Is it worth it?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Platform wars? Really wanna open that can of worms?

I have an iPad, and I have an Android phone. They both work well for me, an some apps I use heavily are available on both. With increasing Cloud computing, the actual platform means less and less. I can share data between both those mobile platforms and with my Windows PCs as well.

For writing my own programs, I do have preferences, but in the interest of not igniting the Holy Wars, I'll keeo that to myself. And yes, I have to develop for all those platforms, and Linux as well, on a daily basis.

3. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

about 80% of the above applies for me as well.