1. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Happy or evil? (:

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jayyy1014, Sep 12, 2011.

I don't know if something like this exists or not, but if it does, feel free to delete this thread. Also if it's not in the right place, feel free to move it as well.

I was talking earlier, with a friend about books. We were talking about some twisted, evil story that doesn't have a happy endings, like most books do. My friend preferred the happy ending (I think so.), while I preferred the evil twist. My opinion is that a good, evil, twisted up plot adds suspense, and gets the audiences attention.. and plus for some reason I just prefer dark stories. :)

What do you all prefer? Evil, sad endings, OR, Happy endings.

(Remember be respectful to all opinions of all members of the Writing Forums! Everyone is entitled to an opinion! :) )

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'm very wary of overly and forced happy endings. Real life isn't like that. That's not to say that there should never be happy endings, but I don't like ones where everything works out perfectly, because I wonder what the point of the whole story leading up to that conclusion was.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jayyy1014

Yeah, that's what I think. You'll always have conflicts in real-life. So why not show them in the story? Make them relate-able and more interesting.

4. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I just like feasible endings. It doesn't matter if it's happy or sad to me; it depends on my mood. Sometimes I want a happy story, and sometimes I want something sad. I just don't like it when things turn out in a way that is not relatable. All too often characters get over big issues so quickly and with no repercussions. I'd rather read something that is sad or bittersweet than read a book that has an ending that makes me say, "Blah."

5. Jayyy1014

^Agreed merc. Basically read my mind there!

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Whatever ending the story demands. I see no advantage to generalizing which is better or preferred.

7. JohnKPatterson

JohnKPatterson New Member

Admittedly, the right ending depends on the story, but I overall have a preference for either bittersweet endings, or happy endings which the characters had to earn by going to hell and back (metaphorically or literally). Those tend to be the more honest, and thus more satisfying endings.

1 person likes this.
  8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

More honest? That all depends on what the story is that you are telling, as I said before. For instance, an inspirational sports story where someone triumphs against staggering odds. Many of these are based on true stories. The story doesn't have to run to when the athlete's success goes to his head and he ends up a homeless drunken vagrant. You end the story where he wins the competition that no one expected he had a chance at.

Likewise, you don't have to have a balanced ending for a cautionary tale about virus research. You can choose to end it where the virus is out of control and has wiped out half the Eastern seaboard, rather than carrying it out to the new legislation that places tight restriction on such research and leads to a more responsible public stance on industry in general.

It always comes down to choice. Were you end the story will determine whether the ending is joyous, dismal, or nittersweet.

Writers don't write reality. Writers write a perspective on reality.

1 person likes this.
  9. topeka sal

topeka sal New Member

Cogito, perfectly said.

Also, if the choices are happy or evil I'd better stop writing now. :)

10. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

It doesn't really matter to me... as long as the story isn't predictable.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i simply prefer good stories that are well written, regardless of how they end...

12. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I'm not really fussed. The ending just has to be satisfying.

13. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Satisfying is the main thing for me, even though I do like a happy ending it really needs to be appropriate. For example, I'd have been really annoyed if Frankenstein and his monster ended up becoming best buddies just for the sake of a happy ending.I don't even mind if an ending is predictable, as long as it's satisfying.

14. JohnKPatterson

JohnKPatterson New Member

A very astute point, Cogito. Thank you for reminding me about those stories. I thought more along the lines of sentimental stories (Hallmark Channel and such) to be somewhat dishonest in their endings, but I appreciate the examples you pointed out.